Another "GameStop sold me a bootleg" story

hopeunknown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So I bought Doom II tonight for GBA, good thing I had the real thing for comparison. I noticed it was weird when I tested it, some screen with Mario characters and saying "greetings welcome to your opportunity to play Doom II" and I had to press Start to get the whole 'licensed by Nintendo, copyright blahblah' screen to come up.

2u71um1.jpg

Original on left, bootleg on right.

I didn't noticed the rated 'E' on it until I took it out of my DS and looked over the cart. The size and color were correct (besides the top lip part being slightly smaller) and looked pretty damn convincing. If only the bootleggers were smart enough to not put that startup screen on there, I probably wouldn't have noticed myself.

I'm returning it tomorrow, but I thought it was pretty funny.

I got a chuckle at the "E for Everyone" on Doom. Should be extremely easy to return with that little detail.

Wait...Doom only got a "T" rating...I know the GBA graphics don't show that much but still.

Also, Why is it so easy to make fake Game Boy/DS games?

Always check the green chipboard near the contacts. Easiest way to tell a bootleg GBA. If it doesn't have C Nintendo 19xx or 20xx visible, then it's definitely a fake. Unfortunately DS games are harder to spot (and from what we've begun hearing, won't work in a DSi)

[quote name='NJMane']I got a chuckle at the "E for Everyone" on Doom. Should be extremely easy to return with that little detail.[/QUOTE]

Funny. Also, the artwork on the fake cart is better. :lol:

[quote name='GizmoGC']Why would someone make a fake Doom II GBA Cart? And secondly, why would you buy Doom II on GBA?[/QUOTE]

Because it's easy to bootleg GBA/DS games. And because Doom II has pretty good resale value.

A cart only Doom II is like $20 on eBay. That's a lower price than what it originally sold for. Not really a great resale value.

[quote name='GizmoGC']A cart only Doom II is like $20 on eBay. That's a lower price than what it originally sold for. Not really a great resale value.[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about eBay? You can list games on Amazon and Half for higher prices and people will actually buy them.

[quote name='GizmoGC']A cart only Doom II is like $20 on eBay. That's a lower price than what it originally sold for. Not really a great resale value.[/QUOTE]

It sells for $12.99 at GS used and roughly $30-35 on Amazon. :)

I returned it to a GS near me that my friend is a manager of, and he had to laugh, especially at the E rating. :lol:

[quote name='Vinny']Who said anything about eBay? You can list games on Amazon and Half for higher prices and people will actually buy them.[/QUOTE]

Wow, people are pretty damn stupid. Oh well, not even worth the hassle to make maybe $15 after shipping and service charges. Good luck to those that do.

bread's done
Back