Another GH vs. RB question - have never played either one.

texasnightowl

CAGiversary!
But I'm interested in picking up one of them.

At this point, I'm interested in Guitar only. I don't need or want a full set (ie. drums, etc.). I will be playing solo most of the time at home, and will be at a friend's who already has RB if doing a band night.

I think I read in one of the other threads that the guitars are now cross compatible? So if I pick up GH:WT, the guitar will work in RB1 and RB2? Or if I buy the RB2 guitar it will work in RB1, RB2, and GH:WT? What about GH3?

Which guitar is "better", keeping in mind I haven't played with any of them?

If the guitars really are cross compatible, it seems like GH3 or GH:WT would be the "cheapest" way to get into them?

Also, FWIW, I have a friend who ended up with 2 copies of RB1 so I would get that free.

I believe the GH3 guitar is the most cross compatible at this point on the PS3 (with the latest patch for RB1). Not sure if the GHWT guitar works in RB or not. GH3 guitar works in pretty much everything at this point and will probably be the cheapest option since it's last years game and going on sale if you look around.

My favorite is the GH:WT guitar. I like the fret buttons on the RB guitars more, but I hate the "mushy" strum bar. By contrast, the GH:WT guitar's strum bar is nice and "clicky" making it much easier to play the songs that require faster, more precise strumming. The GH:WT guitar's strum bar is also an improvement over that of the GH3 guitar, though the difference is less pronounced (the buttons are pretty much the same). I also like the convenient placement of the select button on the GH:WT guitar - it makes it easier to activate star power without missing notes.
I can confirm that it does work in RB2 (so I would assume it works in RB1 as well) as well as GH3, though the touch pad does nothing (but it isn't very useful anyway).

I've heard that some people have had problems with the GH:WT guitar (especially with the touch pad) but I haven't had any trouble. On the other hand, I had problems with both my RB1 and GH3 guitars (didn't always register strums) so I am a bit biased against them. I went through 3 RB guitars and 2 GH3 guitars and never got one that was good enough to get 100% on a song.

I believe the general consensus is that the GH:WT guitar is the best. I highly recommend playing the RB games over GH though.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll try to go for GH:WT and then pick up RB1 from my friend since he has a spare copy. I'll keep an eye on the sales even though I guess it is GH3 that has been in the Black Friday ads so far.

I actually hate the GH: Wt guitar. It might have just been the best buy demo one, but I thought it was awful. It was way too big and the strum bar was horrible. The Rock band one is the same. The Best one is still the GH: III guitar, and use that to play Rock Band.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I actually hate the GH: Wt guitar. It might have just been the best buy demo one, but I thought it was awful. It was way too big and the strum bar was horrible. The Rock band one is the same. The Best one is still the GH: III guitar, and use that to play Rock Band.[/QUOTE]

Prob was broken. IMO, the GH:WT guitar and the Les Paul are extremely similar in all aspects.

bread's done
Back