Another "I'm Going to Japan!" Thread - What to do there?

johnnypark

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
I'm leaving on Thursday for Nagoya. My best friend of 16 years has been teaching English there for a little over 2 years, and is now engaged to a Japanese girl. I haven't seen him in 1.5 years and I'm going to stay for 2 weeks, the 16th-30th.

He asked me what I want to do while I'm there, and I realized I don't know a whole lot about what there is TO do, beyond the obligatory nerding out over all the crazy Japanese culture and video game swag. Not sure if we'll make it to Tokyo.

So, what do you recommend, CAGs who are well-traveled? Any must-see things in Nagoya or nearby?

Get me Earthbound stuff. That should be the first thing on your list.

I only went to Tokyo and Fukuoka so I don't know what to recommend from Nagoya.

DO eat ramen, yakitori, and shabu shabu.

meet people, go to bars even if you don't drink. met some very cool people and even a travel buddy who took some days off work to slum around with me and my brother just because he could and showed us the area he was from and all the cool places to hit.

make sure to make a trip to a sizable grocery store and a store with a section devoted to kids and candy and such. i think its called a niki. get a bunch of weird shit and have a blast trying it all.

visit a hotspring and act really immature about being naked with other men and constantly trick each other into getting a face full of wang "Holy shit dude look at that!" (penis in face).

go to a karaoke joint. its unlike anything i've seen in the states. here its like you go to a bar and then sing or whatever its not a main thing. there its like going out to a movie or going bowling. you get your own little room with some fancy touchscreen song selection controller things. rooms are sound proof with excellent sound systems. free drinks.

if your friend knows of a good place, go somewhere to experience a kaiseki. when i was in japan my "japanese mother" took us to an amazing place that was a pottery display/kaiseki joint set in an old grain storage building converted into the restaurant (which was awesome because it was hidden away in the middle of a very modern neighborhood which made it slightly magical) and she was close friends with the wife of the owner who does the full on tea ceremonies so we had the major hookups. the presentation and the courses and having her show us the proper way to do everything was extremely cool. i highly recommend it if you know of somewhere to go. you can order a kaiseki meal from many places but they'll often just bring everything out at once in bento dishes and leave you to it. it is so much better, at least one time, to go to a legit place that serves you course by course with all the proceedings and presentation.

maybe stop by an arcade if theres one near where you are. the games are expensive as hell, most are 100yen a play which was like a dollar when i went, but just being in the arcade is a pretty cool experience. also if the arcade has multiple floors, find the one with the fighting games or the quiz games and prepare to be amazed at the crowds and cheers.

if you can or if you're into it, don't forget to check out the countryside. i stayed in kyoto for a few days and while the city is nice and all driving out into the country side where the fields and rivers and such are to be found was fantastic. also look for any nearby mountains or hills as there are tons of neat trails with all sorts of cool things to be found wandering like shinto shrines and totems, graveyards, and other neat stuff you'd miss sticking to the cities.

stop by a fast food place like sukiya and try out some awesome vending machine style ordering. can't read japanese? no problem. push the button for whatever looks good (ignore the side options its stuff like adding eggs or green onion topping and such to your order), it prints you out a ticket and hand it to the cashier person. nothing like some delicious gyudon and miso.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Go to an arcade with Street Fighter 4 and pick nothing but American characters. They like it when you do that.

Not sure about the place, but I was there over the summer.

Try going to Kyoto, some cool castles, temples, hot springs. I recommend staying at K House if u need to stay at a hostel.

Try all types of food. I even made sure to try some US fast food just to see what its like.

If you are going to be on your own at all learn some quick phrases like "sue mi ma sen"(phonetically) it means excuse me. I said it every time i bothered someone.

You can use debit cards to get money, post offices usually except most banks cards. Also 7-11s are good for using ATMs.

I've never been to Nagoya, but I went to some hot springs very close to the city around Mt. Fuji. You should definitely go to a hot spring, that is a must.

Check and see if there's a fish market in Nagoya. I went to the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo and loved it.

Like Strell said eat as much of the local cuisine as possible. Probably the best/easiest way to experience a culture.

Going to bars is a good idea. I did this a few times and met some interesting folks. Some people are very eager to talk to international people. And getting hit on is always nice.

But the best advice is to ask your friend and his fiancee what the local hot spots are. They would know better.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have to see where Kyoto is in relation to Nagoya.

I told him I want to do whatever he's had the most fun doing - castles, temples, and karaoke bars are already on that list =) What will be great is that we'll spend some time with his fiance's family, so I'll even get the Japanese family experience.

Regarding food, here's a spin you might not have thought about in Japan... he and I are both vegan. Apparently, Japan has basically no vegetarian culture and puts fish in almost everything. So I'm very fortunate that he's been living there and is familiar with the language, or else I would probably starve. I definitely want to try as much food as possible, we'll just have to be careful.

I realize veganism isn't everyone's thing, I don't want this thread to turn into an animal rights discussion. It's just an important footnote for this trip ;)

Tofu is good stuff - they are artists with it. Get a lot of it in different preparations - grilled, fried, etc. I wish I could find comparable stuff around here without resorting to cooking it myself.

Nagoya isn't too far from Kyoto, you could do it.

Yeah, Japan loves meat, but they also make excellent veggies and other non-meat dishes. Japan used to be a poor country so any kind of meat was considered a luxury. It shouldn't be to hard to find dishes that hold a significant amount of culture yet taste great.

Only been to Tokyo and Saitama Ken so not really sure about Nagoya. But heard they have historical castles, temples and museums...and just like every places in Japan, I'm pretty sure they have Izakaya, it's a typical Nihon-jin hang-out for drinking and maybe you can try their shoochuu and sake. Not many Gai-jin likes it so just try all the variety and they have great food too!

That's awesome! I've always wanted to go to Japan but never have. I almost went to Tokyo on my honeymoon but we ended up going to Rome instead.

As far as food I've heard real Ramen is amazing. Not like the rubbish we get here in the States. I'd say try some Miso soup (which is delicious) but since your a vegan I don't think they make it without the fish.

Hope you have a great time.

did you go yet? You will really enjoy it. I was there last year and have tons of fun. if you can visit Tokyo. amazing place. Also read the book Tokyo Underground it has a whole bunch of things to check out in that wonderful city! good luck and hope you have lots of fun! your friend is one lucky guy! :)

VGM out...

bread's done
Back