Anti-Deal: EA Charging for Ridiculous DLC in Madden 2010

the_punisher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
200 (100%)
Anyone up for buying "Elite Status"? For the low price of $5, you can have access to "exclusive VIP lobbies, leaderboards" and will grant you access to "the all new Elite Gametype" which features "All-Madden difficulty level and is tuned exclusively for the hardcore." :roll:

Article from Joystiq is below. I can't say that i'm surprised, but i can't believe anyone would willingly pay for crap like this. Sadly, if 360 themes and Home clothes can sell, this could be one of the biggest moneymakers in history. I guess EA figured out that 99% of the people buying Madden 10 are a bunch of retards gaming-wise (as if them buying it for $60+tax year after year wasn't enough of a hint), and now they're capitalizing on it. Oh well.

maddendlc.jpg

To say EA has been going overboard with DLC would be an understatement. The upcoming Madden 10 continues EA's attempt at pinching even more out of your virtual wallet for cheats and game enhancements. Here's but a very small sample of the premium packs you'll be charged for:
Super Superstar - Downloading this will enable your Superstar to get maximum progression for the length of his career.
Pick A Superstar - Downloading this will allow you to pick any NFL player to start Superstar mode with.
Dig Deep - For one play, your players respond to the challenges of the moment. All players receive a 10% boost to all stats.
Game Day Instincts - For one game, your coaching staff is in the zone. All players receive a 5% boost to all stats; can be used once per year, per franchise.
PK Scout - Download this to use a special scout who will reveal all true stats for Punter and Kicker prospects in the upcoming offseason. This is usable in Franchise only.
Play Through the Pain - Using this allows for one player to recover from any injury no matter what the severity; usable once per season, per franchise.
Not Done Yet - Downloading this allows you to keep one player out of retirement for one more year; usable once per season, per franchise. This is used in Franchise Mode only.
In addition to these game modifiers, players can purchase "Elite Status" through the game's multiplayer lobby. What does it do? It'll give you access to "exclusive VIP lobbies, leaderboards" and will grant you access to "the all new Elite Gametype" which features "All-Madden difficulty level and is tuned exclusively for the hardcore." Wait, what? EA, you're seriously charging money for a new difficulty mode? (IGN reports that it'll be $5.) Those looking for the ultimate Madden experience will have to prepare for sticker shock when the game ships next week.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/08/m...jury-healing-retirement-prevention/#continued

EA nickels and dimes any chance they get.

New feature on Madden 2011: if you're the away team, the fans will storm the field and block you from scoring a touchdown. Prevent this with the "Not on my watch!" DLC, only 200 points.

Yeah this is why I hate EA. I kinda wish even with my Amazon fiasco with the trade in program (which I still need to do a blog post about) I didn't use the Amazon credit for Madden. It does seem like this game will finally contend with NFL 2K5 for best football game though.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I paid $42 for this on amazon. And all of those add-ons you don't need anyways.[/QUOTE]

It's more of the principle of the matter for me. Basically, you end up paying for glorified cheat codes, with the exception of the elite pack. I agree, you don't need them, but what's next? Companies like EA are just testing how much they can fuck us and while smart people won't let them, there are plenty of other people that don't mind having EA's big, throbbing, greedy, money-hungry cock up their ass.

I want to buy a game for $60, and have to throw down money for online play modes. Oh wait, see RE5. :roll:

This is completely surprising after they've done this for Tiger Woods the past few years and NCAA 10 a few weeks ago. Simply shocking. It's still easy to ignore and move on to the actual content.

[quote name='Scorch']EA nickels and dimes any chance they get.

New feature on Madden 2011: if you're the away team, the fans will storm the field and block you from scoring a touchdown. Prevent this with the "Not on my watch!" DLC, only 200 points.[/QUOTE]

lol that would be a cool mode add that and an after the game fight/drunken riot mode and id be sold.

Just saw a story about the Snickers advertising in the game with all the horrible puns. It would be great if there was enough of a backlash to make this kind of disgusting monetize everything go away.

I'd say that if you're foolish enough to be paying $60 for this shitty franchise in the first place, another $5 is just a drop in the bucket - go for it!

How dare EA try to make money!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!

It's not like it's vital feature that your paying for (I.E. RE 5 MP), it's something optional only for the hardcore.

If people are stupid enough to buy this and give EA their money, well that is the persons problem.

It's called Capitalism.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It's worse than the level-ups and money that comprised the Tales of Vesperia DLC.[/QUOTE]

Hey that saved some of us from 20 hours of level grinding at the end of the game. :)

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']How dare EA try to make money!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!

It's not like it's vital feature that your paying for (I.E. RE 5 MP), it's something optional only for the hardcore.

If people are stupid enough to buy this and give EA their money, well that is the persons problem.

It's called Capitalism.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Just because it's totally absurd and ridiculous for people to buy this doesn't mean it's a huge deal. I'd be more pissed off if they were charging for actually useful things that were purposefully excluded from the game.

And why is this a surprise to anyone? Same kind of stuff in NCAA 10.

Yeah, I agree, at least they're not charging for necessary things like what happened with Resident Evil.

They did the same BS with NCAA Football 10...

when it comes to retail rip offs Activision takes the cake,

but EA, they still reign when it comes to DLC ripoffs (skate 2, dead space, NCAA 10, etc.)

[quote name='Justin_Scott']
but EA, they still reign when it comes to DLC ripoffs (skate 2, dead space, NCAA 10, etc.)[/QUOTE]

eh, I still think Namco takes the cake on the DLC though I do have to admit that EA is contending for the crown

This is exactly what I hate about DLC. This isn't added value like a map pack developed after the game releases.

This is content already on the disc that's been segregated out of the game to be unlocked through purchase.

Now the full retail game has aspects removed before release. It's missing parts, it's full of ads, and it's still full retail price.

EA is removing content to be sold separately.

ugh... :roll:

bread's done
Back