Anti-piracy cds

tyecko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Is there any way to get around these things so I can burn a copy? I bought my mom a copy of the new Bruce Springsteen cd today but it won't let me make a copy for myself.

[quote name='legion_stxds']You might try a different forum for your question. I am not sure that this is something we encourage here.[/QUOTE]

One could make the "fair use" argument, but I guess since he specifically stated that he was going to make a copy for himself of a CD he bought someone else... yeah, that doesn't fall under fair use. Still, I hear that it's a great album.

[quote name='punqsux']this is what you get for legally buying music.
always steal.[/QUOTE]

I don't think buying music is prude or anything, it's just the RIAA. I love having a hard copy of an album with the booklet, case, etc. etc. Why are you so against buying music, punq? Just curious.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I don't think buying music is prude or anything, it's just the RIAA. I love having a hard copy of an album with the booklet, case, etc. etc. Why are you so against buying music, punq? Just curious.[/QUOTE]
ive explained it many times, but hey, whats one more?

i object 100% to the way the music busniess works.
the only times you should buy a cd is if its from a small independantly owned record store, or if its at a live show. the reason?

band and (smaller)record companies dont make shit off sales. my concern is mostly for the band, but there are a few labels out there with some integrity. bands see little to none of sales from stores. if you want to support a band, go see them live, buy a t-shirt, send them five fucking dollars for gods sake, its more than they'd ever see from you buying a record.

i understand no sales = no future records, but thats not going to happen because there are ALOT of people that like owning the insert and junk. i for one like supporting the bands themselves. i try to go to shows whenever possible, i almost always buy a bands demo if they are just getting started, i try and always pick up at least some merch, but i refuse to let people in suits get rich of others hard work. some bands are out there touring 6-8 months out of a year, theres no reason some fucking record exec should be getting fat off their work because he "discovered" them. if they wernt already known they wouldnt be discovered.

i do support record labels like jade tree and saddlecreek, and some others, because they have morals and ethics, which is something i will support as much as musicians.

Wasn't it proved that the $ slump was not related to downloading, but rather RIAA had not paid millions of dollars in royalties to the bands? I think I remember reading something on that.

Musicians don't make shit on CD's.. support them by seeing them in concert or buying their t-shirt.. that way they actually get the money.

they also get $ from cds at live shows, any merch $ goes to them.
also tip the merch guy if you can, ive been a merch guy and WE DONT GET PAID!!!

Yeah I HATE the RIAA, attacking people for downloading music. It's total BULLSHIT, I don't want to give my money to some ridiculous company and then go watch the artist and not have any money. Also 30 second samples don't a damn thing for me. RIAA=SHIT!

Thanks for stepping on our fair use rights, RIAA. You're allowed to make a copy for yourself or to space-shift your copy (i.e. rip MP3s to put in your MP3 player or listen to on your computer).

I try in general to not buy from major record labels, although I make exceptions for stuff like the new Weezer CD, which is friggin' AWESOME. I could probably keep Saddle Creek in business with all the CDs and merchandise I've bought from them. I've also made a more concerted effort as of late to buy from local, independent record stores instead of, for instance, Best Buy where they often sell CDs at a loss in the hopes that you'll buy bigger ticket items when you're there. Sure you can save like $2 buying a CD there but I for one don't want large retail chains dictating musical tastes.

[quote name='punqsux']ive explained it many times, but hey, whats one more?

the only times you should buy a cd is if its from a small independantly owned record store, or if its at a live show. the reason?

band and (smaller)record companies dont make shit off sales. my concern is mostly for the band, but there are a few labels out there with some integrity. bands see little to none of sales from stores. if you want to support a band, go see them live, buy a t-shirt, send them five fucking dollars for gods sake, its more than they'd ever see from you buying a record.

i understand no sales = no future records, but thats not going to happen because there are ALOT of people that like owning the insert and junk. i for one like supporting the bands themselves. i try to go to shows whenever possible, i almost always buy a bands demo if they are just getting started, i try and always pick up at least some merch, but i refuse to let people in suits get rich of others hard work. some bands are out there touring 6-8 months out of a year, theres no reason some fucking record exec should be getting fat off their work because he "discovered" them. if they wernt already known they wouldnt be discovered.

i do support record labels like jade tree and saddlecreek, and some others, because they have morals and ethics, which is something i will support as much as musicians.[/QUOTE]

Everyone read this post. Please.

Can someone rationalize stealing from the grocery store? Like, maybe the farmers don't get a fair cut of profits or something? I'm sick of paying for food. Especially beers. It has to apply to beers.

[quote name='jmcc']Can someone rationalize stealing from the grocery store? Like, maybe the farmers don't get a fair cut of profits or something? I'm sick of paying for food. Especially beers. It has to apply to beers.[/QUOTE]
To rip off the mooninites: "His beer is now your beer by means of our intervention"

[quote name='jmcc']Can someone rationalize stealing from the grocery store? Like, maybe the farmers don't get a fair cut of profits or something? I'm sick of paying for food. Especially beers. It has to apply to beers.[/QUOTE]

im not rationalizing stealing music. im comming right out and saying i steal music. there is a difference.

im encouraging people to support bands rather than record companies/giant stores. i am outlining what actions one can take if they want to support an actual band, and not the aforementioned corporations. i dont honestly CARE if people legally buy music, that's their decision, but people should know where their money goes and not just assume buying a Brand New (a band) CD at Target for $6.99 IS NOT supporting them.

if you actully want i reccomend going to a farmer's market if they have any near you. the prices might be slightly more than stores, but (obviously) all the money goes to the farmers and they are usually much fresher and better. if they dont have any then i thinkg youre out of luck, but most places do, i mean they have them in buffalo ny, and thats pretty close to scorched earth :lol:

i do support record labels like jade tree and saddlecreek, and some others, because they have morals and ethics, which is something i will support as much as musicians.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, someone like myself can't get around to concerts and such, and I have no use for merchandise (I don't really wear t-shirts of bands and such, and there's no room on the walls as I live with 3 guys). By your logic, all I can do to ensure the record companies aren't swindling the bands is to steal their music. What if I want to support them, but can't do what you suggest? Can you buy the CD directly from the band's web site or something to help them out?

[quote name='m1lesteg']The problem is, someone like myself can't get around to concerts and such, and I have no use for merchandise (I don't really wear t-shirts of bands and such, and there's no room on the walls as I live with 3 guys). By your logic, all I can do to ensure the record companies aren't swindling the bands is to steal their music. What if I want to support them, but can't do what you suggest? Can you buy the CD directly from the band's web site or something to help them out?[/QUOTE]
you have to check the website, it varies band to band, but most often you cant, unless the band is unsigned, or on a really small label. most bands will simply have links to amazon or some other website.

but seriously, downloading and a donation is support ^^

i cant even fathom why bands dont offer this. they might be giants has a system set up (that i am not totally familiar with but have heard about) where you can download a cd of theirs off their website and get pdf inserts and liner notes for like 5 bucks (again a guess)

im sure some bands labels just wouldnt allow that, but its weird more bands dont offer such a service.

[quote name='tyecko']Is there any way to get around these things so I can burn a copy? I bought my mom a copy of the new Bruce Springsteen cd today but it won't let me make a copy for myself.[/QUOTE]

If it doesn't adhere to the redbook audio specification, it is NOT A CD. Does this product have the CD logo anywhere on it? Just because it's in the CD section of the store do not assume that it's a CD!

[quote name='evilmregg']One could make the "fair use" argument, but I guess since he specifically stated that he was going to make a copy for himself of a CD he bought someone else... yeah, that doesn't fall under fair use. Still, I hear that it's a great album.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter, circumventing technology limiting access to copyrighted material in the U.S. is still illegal under the DMCA.

Whether it should be illegal or not is another matter.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Thanks for stepping on our fair use rights, RIAA. You're allowed to make a copy for yourself or to space-shift your copy (i.e. rip MP3s to put in your MP3 player or listen to on your computer).[/QUOTE]

You were allowed to do that, before 1998.

[quote name='eldad9']You were allowed to do that, before 1998.[/QUOTE]

You still can copy and hack the disc all you want, you just can't tell people to hold the shift key or rip the audio tracks in linux and then burn the tracks. It is illegal to tell someone how to circumvent their 'protection".

[quote name='eldad9']If it doesn't adhere to the redbook audio specification, it is NOT A CD. Does this product have the CD logo anywhere on it? Just because it's in the CD section of the store do not assume that it's a CD![/QUOTE]

Huh? Of course it's a cd.

[quote name='tyecko']Huh? Of course it's a cd.[/QUOTE]

Some CDs now specifically say on them "does not meet CD audio specifications, may not play in all CD players".

The new Ben Folds CD says that but I had no trouble ripping it in iTunes.

Does this mean you advocate pirating EA's games? :)

the game industry isnt even comparable to supporting a band. people that make ea games (as creative as they may or may not be) are nothing more than data programmers. how much artistic expression do you think gets implimented into each years new sports title? not much at all.

[quote name='punqsux']the game industry isnt even comparable to supporting a band. people that make ea games (as creative as they may or may not be) are nothing more than data programmers. how much artistic expression do you think gets implimented into each years new sports title? not much at all.[/QUOTE]

Its still the same principle though... Do you think Asian children should be paid $1 a week to make shoes? Shoes aren't very artistic, nor to the children have much creative input. The people getting rich at EA arent the ones doing the 80 hours a week of programing.

Are you trying to compare stealing to copyright infringement.

To break it down in simple terms, when you take a beer from the store, here is what happens:

Store: -1 beer
JMCC: +1 beer

When you download a song from a friend, here is what happens

Friend: no change
JMCC: +1 song

Stop labeling copyright infringement as stealing! Once you're over that hurdle, we can begin to decondition your brain from RIAA brainwashing propoganda. :D

[quote name='Kayden']Its still the same principle though... Do you think Asian children should be paid $1 a week to make shoes? Shoes aren't very artistic, nor to the children have much creative input. The people getting rich at EA arent the ones doing the 80 hours a week of programing.[/QUOTE]
its not really the same principal. therre is no way that i know of to pirate EA's games and support the people that work there, also as per my understanding they got in a bit of trouble for it and now have to pay overtime? (could be wrong, but either way it dosent change my point)

im not comparing bands to slave labor, i cant follow your train of thought.

[quote name='punqsux']its not really the same principal. therre is no way that i know of to pirate EA's games and support the people that work there, also as per my understanding they got in a bit of trouble for it and now have to pay overtime? (could be wrong, but either way it dosent change my point)

im not comparing bands to slave labor, i cant follow your train of thought.[/QUOTE]

Insufficient compensation for the actual works while the management makes all the money.

but i presented a way to circumvent the money reaching that managment while still supporting the people that (i feel) deserve the money.

please tell me how to do this with ea games, or nike.

You could find the email of the coders and ask for a paypal account to send money to. You could fedex packages of food to Asia... Not really feasible, or smart, but neither is attempting to justify "stealing" from a record company. Sure, you're giving money to the band directly, but they signed contracts that layed down how money would flow. If they didn't like the stipulations they could either try to change them or just not sign with that lable.

[quote name='Kayden']Sure, you're giving money to the band directly, but they signed contracts that layed down how money would flow. If they didn't like the stipulations they could either try to change them or just not sign with that lable.[/QUOTE]

That would be great if Clear Channel and Ticketmaster didn't own every radio station / concert venue between the two of them.

[quote name='Kayden']You could find the email of the coders and ask for a paypal account to send money to. You could fedex packages of food to Asia... Not really feasible, or smart, but neither is attempting to justify "stealing" from a record company. Sure, you're giving money to the band directly, but they signed contracts that layed down how money would flow. If they didn't like the stipulations they could either try to change them or just not sign with that lable.[/QUOTE]

im not justifying piracy, i wish people would see that. there is NO justification i am giving.

the actions i take do directly support who i want to support, ask any band if they would reather have someone buy their cd (at a store), or if they would rather have them come to a live show and buy a shirt, let me know what they say.

[quote name='tyecko']Huh? Of course it's a cd.[/QUOTE]

Just because a VCD is as big and shiny as a DVD does not make it a DVD.

The Compact Disc was invented by Philips [employees]. There are documents explaining exactly what constitutes an audio CD. A thing that meets these requirements is an audio CD. A thing that does not isn't.

Bottom line: If a product carried by a major retailer does not have this logo

disc_digital_audio.gif

it is most likely not an audio CD.

if you pay $20 bucks for a t-shirt, i would suggest not going to styx concerts :lol:

most smaller bands sell shirts between 8 and 12 bucks.

[quote name='punqsux']im not rationalizing stealing music. im comming right out and saying i steal music. there is a difference.

im encouraging people to support bands rather than record companies/giant stores. i am outlining what actions one can take if they want to support an actual band, and not the aforementioned corporations. i dont honestly CARE if people legally buy music, that's their decision, but people should know where their money goes and not just assume buying a Brand New (a band) CD at Target for $6.99 IS NOT supporting them.

if you actully want i reccomend going to a farmer's market if they have any near you. the prices might be slightly more than stores, but (obviously) all the money goes to the farmers and they are usually much fresher and better. if they dont have any then i thinkg youre out of luck, but most places do, i mean they have them in buffalo ny, and thats pretty close to scorched earth :lol:[/QUOTE]

I have to go with Punq. I know downloading music is technically stealing. I don''t give a shit. The Music Industry is an oligarchy that has its neck around the consumer. The goverment won't do shit. Therefore I have to stand up against the man.

My way of protesting is by not purchasing music in store and downloading and ripping it. If I get caught and punished, so be it. The music industry will never ever get my money. The last CD's I bought was the Nirvanna se (What can I say, I'm attracted to shiny things.) and I felt DIRTY afterwards. I actually have a better conscious stealing music.

Look, I can download stuff for free or I can support the exploitation of another person by supporting the meglocorp that's choking his neck. I choose the latter. As far as I'm concerned, my conscious is clear.

Finally, well before the internet became hip, the Anime industry was using old fashioned p2p, they traded tapes. That's the reason it's such a unique force in the DVD industry. And what about a little show that's abbreviated MST3K? I download anime shows for free and yet if I counted how much money I was pouring into their DVD's I'd probably cry. There are people who just download and never buy. Some people are like that for anime. Some for music. But the vast majority are their customers. It's been proven in study after study that people PREFER the retail packaging. SO they go out and buy it! Even after they've dowqnloaded it.

For example, titles I've doawnloaded and bought in anime is Inuyasha, FMA, Samurai Champloo, Noir, FLCL, and more.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I have to go with Punq. I know downloading music is technically stealing.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not.

It may be copyright infringement under certain conditions, but it's certainly never stealing.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I buy cds for my own enjoyment, I don't really care who gets the money.[/QUOTE]

That's good, because it's going to senators like Orinn "Terminator" Hatch who are going to end up sending your P2Ping friends to jail (or blowing their computers up)

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I buy cds for my own enjoyment, I don't really care who gets the money.[/QUOTE]

Suppose, just for the sake of argument, that a terrorist group decided to get into the music business to fund weapon purchases. Would you still not care who gets the money?

[quote name='eldad9']Suppose, just for the sake of argument, that a terrorist group decided to get into the music business to fund weapon purchases. Would you still not care who gets the money?[/QUOTE]
thats a pretty crazy scenerio (joke time) especially givin the sensitivity of americans in this post 9/11 world

:lol:

[quote name='eldad9']Suppose, just for the sake of argument, that a terrorist group decided to get into the music business to fund weapon purchases. Would you still not care who gets the money?[/QUOTE]

Probably not, if only because 1) I'd probably never find out about it and 2) I don't pay attention to what label anyone is on anyway. :lol:

Besides, who's to say the labels aren't funding terrorist organizations already? Apparently they occupy the same moral ground. :lol:

bread's done
Back