Any advice on a new hdd for 360?

JJJr

CAG Veteran
Feedback
-1 (0%)
Hi, sorry if this is one of those dumb questions where I'm just going to be reffered to google.

I'm finally deciding to upgrade from my stock 20gig and know nothing about deals or whats reasonable to pay for the other ones because I always thought 20gig would be enough for me.

I don't really need the 250gig so I'm looking at 60 or 120. I only have one installed game atm and really I just need more room for some rather large dlc content and of course a bit extra would be nice in case there are other huge xbla games like shadow complex that I might want.

I checked ebay and saw alot of suspicious looking hdd from hong kong with wierd prices. Short of just buying a new one from gamespot, not sure where else I should look for deals ect..

Any tips?

You can always just use a usb flash drive up to 16gb for now as extra storage.

Otherwise check craigslist. I sold my new 120gb on there a while back for $80.

To make sure you get an official drive, look at the decal on the side. The cheaper cases from dealextreme have a simple sticker that just goes over the plastic instead of fitting snugly. There are better cases though that look the same so you won't be able to tell if its official or not.

So, I'm expecting to plunk down around $80 for something like a 120?

Man, I think spent 3 times what a 360 costs in accessories so far >

Actually replacing the hard drive is quite easy as long as you have a bit of computer know-how and a computer that allows the connection of Sata drives. Search up a program called hddhackr and it has all the info.
All I did was buy a hdd enclosure from deal extreme and put in a 250GB western digital scorpio blue drive in it. Of course there is a little software tinkering with hddhackr involved before the drive goes in.

All in all, $70 got me a 250gb drive. Which I thought was a decent price with my $129 arcade i got on sale a month or so ago :)
Good luck!

I don't feel like tinkering around with that stuff. Was just wondering what I should expect to pay and if there's a decent source with good prices.

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']I wouldn't buy anything from china as they are almost guarenteed to be crap.
The first one looks tempting http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...ie=UTF8&qid=1271787422&sr=8-14&condition=used

EDIT - Didn't look at the feedback as I don't often use Amazon 3rd party. Still looks like it's worth a shot even with low feedback[/QUOTE]

I purchased my 120 gb hdd from China on eBay last year and haven't had a problem. And even if you went on eBay and found an American seller that has stock of more than a few, it probably was purchased in bulk from China. Who knows, maybe the lady on Amazon got hers from there, also.

[quote name='JJJr']Hi, sorry if this is one of those dumb questions where I'm just going to be reffered to google.

I'm finally deciding to upgrade from my stock 20gig and know nothing about deals or whats reasonable to pay for the other ones because I always thought 20gig would be enough for me.

I don't really need the 250gig so I'm looking at 60 or 120. I only have one installed game atm and really I just need more room for some rather large dlc content and of course a bit extra would be nice in case there are other huge xbla games like shadow complex that I might want.

I checked ebay and saw alot of suspicious looking hdd from hong kong with wierd prices. Short of just buying a new one from gamespot, not sure where else I should look for deals ect..

Any tips?[/QUOTE]

250gb hdd, $80

http://www.gamedealdaily.com/store/product.php?product=1524

You're on your own for the transfer kit. I hear that you can't get them for free from Microsoft any longer.

[quote name='luvmysegadc']
You're on your own for the transfer kit. I hear that you can't get them for free from Microsoft any longer.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I JUST found that out while preemptively ordering one from ms. So disgusted you have to pay for them now almost want to change my mind.

Thanks for the link though, i'll check it out.

Check GameOrigin.com the owner of the site just recently ran a contest on CAG where he gave away a Wii, $50 in games (which I won), and a LE copy of Fable 2. Last time I looked there was a 120gb HDD for $54.99, which is better than the $90 I spent on mine last year. It turned out to be a fake, but still works except for playing original xbox games.

[quote name='luvmysegadc']You're on your own for the transfer kit. I hear that you can't get them for free from Microsoft any longer.
[/QUOTE]

Transfer kits are somewhat useless now. With the latest update you can transfer files to and from a thumbdrive. So you can easily export your saves.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7052543&postcount=8

If you're building a new drive and want the backwards compatibility partition, and don't want to disassemble your legit drive then one may be useful. But at that point you're already ordering a case from Dealextreme, and may as well grab one of their transfer kits for like $8.

[quote name='nicked']To make sure you get an official drive, look at the decal on the side. The cheaper cases from dealextreme have a simple sticker that just goes over the plastic instead of fitting snugly. There are better cases though that look the same so you won't be able to tell if its official or not.[/QUOTE]
I got one of the cheaper Dealextreme cases, and it's really close. It came with the correct screws, warranty stickers and everything. Buying a used drive from a unknown seller isn't a good idea IMO.

I'm at the same stage u are. 20 gig aint cuttin, it but rather than pay for a new HD i'm going to pick up an elite in a few months.

[quote name='JJJr']Yes, I JUST found that out while preemptively ordering one from ms. So disgusted you have to pay for them now almost want to change my mind.

Thanks for the link though, i'll check it out.[/QUOTE]
Just use a USB flash drive and put as much on it as you can then copy to your new HDD rinse and repeat til its all over. That's what I did with my memory card when I got a 60GB

I didn't get a great look, but I saw a new 250GB standalone drive today ($150-160, I think). It looked like it came with the transfer cable, but it was behind glass, so I couldn't check it out any further.

Kind of annoyed me. I bought the 60GB kit for $99 just before the 250 was announced. Paid for the transfer cable, too. The one saving grace is that I turned a slight profit on reselling it... probably could have sold it for more, based on what I'd seen on eBay.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how it works with the new USB system (about time, BTW), but I know there were a few items that couldn't be transferred from memory card to hard drive... obviously large files were a problem, but some DLC was too, from what I've heard (maybe Rock Band tracks?) Maybe not a problem with the new system, but I don't really know... just worth a word of caution and probably some research so you don't get burned.

If you want, I have a transfer cable I'd be willing to let go.
I only have a 60GB model and don't see myself ever getting anything bigger (although I'm down to 28GB...
Although shipping it might be a pain...

[quote name='JJJr']So, I'm expecting to plunk down around $80 for something like a 120?

Man, I think spent 3 times what a 360 costs in accessories so far >

i agree with the usb flash drive. no need for an overpriced hard drive.

there is probably a way to get yours open and swap out the 20 with a laptop drive (i assume its a laptop drive in there)..

i agree with the usb flash drive. no need for an overpriced hard drive.

there is probably a way to get yours open and swap out the 20 with a laptop drive (i assume its a laptop drive in there)..

bread's done
Back