Any advice on helping to restock?

PlumeNoir

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I don't know where else to post this, so I'll go here, if no one minds.

Here's the deal: last month, my place was broken into and the thieves got my PS2 and all my games. (Check my blog in my sig for details - it should be the bottom-most entry.)

I have been focusing on the holidays and other more important personal issues, but now that things are calming down, I'm looking to replace nearly everything. (Moral of the story - don't let your insurance lapse.)

I'm probably just going to buy a brand new slim-PS2 to replace the one I got at launch. (I was considering going used or eBay, but I don't really like inheriting other people's problems.)

When it comes to games, I, for the most part, am anal about complete packages - but I might just work on it and shed that habit. (I really like the way packages look on my shelf, it's a quirk of mine.)

So, I'm looking at replacing most of what I lost, and being a CAG, I'm looking to do it on the cheap. So, I was hoping to get some advice and/ or pointers. I was also hoping someone might help with a few questions:

1. Has anyone ever bought a refurbished system from GameStop or similiar places? Any thoughts or opinions? If I can save myself a few bucks and put it toward a game, I'll do it. I'm just REALLY wary of buying used disc-based systems.

2. Luckily, most of the games weren't brand new, so I can get them on discount (like K-mart recently had FFX for $10). Sadly, I got a number of them for VERY little (thanks to CAG), and it'll cost more to replace them then to buy them in the first place! The question to that is, anyone have any outlets (online or otherwise) they could recommend?

3. This may seem like an odd question, but I have been poking around, but the only PS2 bundle I have come upon is one from Walmart.com. Has anyone seen any decent PS2 console bundles of late?

Thanks in advance everyone - I hope everyone had a good Christmas (or whatever you choose to celebrate)!

Sorry to hear the bad news bro. Nice blog, btw.

As far as games, maybe you could luck out on some game lots on eBay. A bunch of games for a lower price. A big maybe, but a maybe nonetheless.

If you have declining morals like yours truly, you could go snag some games from TRU for $10 apiece that are worth $30-50, then go exchange them at your local game store. I only did this with games I bought for CAGs who then decided they didn't want them. For 4 games that I paid $10 apiece, I got $155 credit at ebgames, and got the slimline PS2 to replace my ailing older model. *dodges flames*

Lastly, watch for BUY2GET1 or BUY3GET1 sales from ebgames and gamestop. Wherehouse.com carries used games for great prices, and they almost always come complete and mint. Gamefly.com has a deal now with $3 off pre-played games with free shipping, and theirs also come mint and complete most of the time.

Good luck!!

[quote name='the ender']Sorry to hear the bad news bro. Nice blog, btw.

As far as games, maybe you could luck out on some game lots on eBay. A bunch of games for a lower price. A big maybe, but a maybe nonetheless.

If you have declining morals like yours truly, you could go snag some games from TRU for $10 apiece that are worth $30-50, then go exchange them at your local game store. I only did this with games I bought for CAGs who then decided they didn't want them. For 4 games that I paid $10 apiece, I got $155 credit at ebgames, and got the slimline PS2 to replace my ailing older model. *dodges flames*

Lastly, watch for BUY2GET1 or BUY3GET1 sales from ebgames and gamestop. Wherehouse.com carries used games for great prices, and they almost always come complete and mint. Gamefly.com has a deal now with $3 off pre-played games with free shipping, and theirs also come mint and complete most of the time.

Good luck!![/QUOTE]

Thanks Ender for the advice and the blog comment!

I actually did cross over my moral line today and returned the NFS I won from every10minutes to Best Buy to get store credit to apply toward a new PS2. (I know, that is the dark side, but the fact that I did end up giving them more money was my poor justification.) But, I'll be honest, it is quite tempting to go the ebgames thing.

I was given $150 by the in-laws for Christmas to replace my PS2, and I considered just getting one from Gamestop for $100 or $120. But, I remembered my unopened NFS, so that brought a brand new PS2 from BB down to $90 and change; that way, I had money to get some games, as well.

I ended up hitting a few pawn shops today (partly looking to see if any of my stuff was turning up), and ended up replacing my Dot Hack Vol1 (with the bonus DVD), MGS2 and San Andreas for about 40 bucks.

I have heard bad stuff from people about ordering games from GameStop, and I've nearly bought a couple of used games from the B&M stores, but they were so horribly scratched tha even the cashier advised me no to buy it. (A nice thing to do, but it was a shame she put the game right back to be resold to someone else.) I will check out gamefly and warehouse, though.

Thanks again!

[quote name='the ender']. For 4 games that I paid $10 apiece, I got $155 credit at ebgames, and got the slimline PS2 to replace my ailing older model.

Good luck!![/QUOTE]

EbGames gave an avg of $40 credit a game? Or do you just mean you pulled a Walmart

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']EbGames gave an avg of $40 credit a game? Or do you just mean you pulled a Walmart[/QUOTE]

The 4 games were:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms X - 49.99
Pariah - 32.99
Psychonauts - 29.99
Some other game - 29.99

Then they gave me tax back too, I think. The did it, I believe, because they know me in there. My total for the games was $155, so I had to add like $7 for tax.

I was also one of the lucky few who got their 9.98 TRU games price-adjusted to 6.65. So, I paid roughly 6.65 x 4 = $26 + $7 tax + $33 for a brand new PS2. Bonus!!

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Just outside Detroit eh... hmm better put an extra lock on the barn doors for safety purposes[/QUOTE]

Heh...that should go without saying!

I lived in Canton, which is a nice nieghborhood - but my babysitter knows some unsavory folks...

[quote name='PlumeNoir']Heh...that should go without saying!

I lived in Canton, which is a nice nieghborhood - but my babysitter knows some unsavory folks...[/QUOTE]
Wow... reading a thread starting like that I don't expect it to be Canton. :shock: Good luck with getting your stuff back or restocking your collection. Good thing about it being Canton is that the PD doesn't really have much else to do more important than recovering hundreds or thousands of dollars of electronics.

bread's done
Back