Any CAG Comedians or aspiring ones?--doing an open mic

strayfoxx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Concurrent with my graduate studies this past year, I've created about 30 minutes of material, with about 5-10 solid, ironed-out minutes with a focus on word arrangement, set-up, and word economy. Its good stuff on paper, the difference is in the delivery and the intangibles (dress, persona, body language, etc), which I'm currently working on for an open-mic in late April.

Just wondering if there's any comedians out there, or avid comedy-show afficionados who can give some advice in making that jump?

I've been doing stand up for about six years now. It's always rough starting out. My only advice is to be yourself and try it out. It's all about trial and error. Keep the stuff that works and re-work or throw away what doesn't. You won't know until you try it on stage.

Don't be afraid to bomb, because it will happen sooner or later. They say it takes roughly five to seven years to figure out your on-stage persona. I think it took me about five... and realistically I'm STILL working on it. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions. My website has all my facebook/YouTube links and such.

www.mikeandersoncomedy.com

[quote name='strayfoxx']Concurrent with my graduate studies this past year, I've created about 30 minutes of material, with about 5-10 solid, ironed-out minutes with a focus on word arrangement, set-up, and word economy. Its good stuff on paper, the difference is in the delivery and the intangibles (dress, persona, body language, etc), which I'm currently working on for an open-mic in late April.

Just wondering if there's any comedians out there, or avid comedy-show afficionados who can give some advice in making that jump?[/QUOTE]

I'm a fan. Advice I would give to an inspiring comedian? Be prepared to work on it for years before you get any type of real success, be prepared to bomb horribly alot and always keep working on material. You need to learn what makes people laugh, have some type of structure with enough wiggle room to respond to audience reaction and be comfortable on stage.

I highly suggest reading Born Standing Up by Steve Martin and listening to as many comedy albums as you can (preferably unedited, full shows)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HyVomugUHU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chinomike55']I've been doing stand up for about six years now. It's always rough starting out. My only advice is to be yourself and try it out. It's all about trial and error. Keep the stuff that works and re-work or throw away what doesn't. You won't know until you try it on stage.

Don't be afraid to bomb, because it will happen sooner or later. They say it takes roughly five to seven years to figure out your on-stage persona. I think it took me about five... and realistically I'm STILL working on it. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions. My website has all my facebook/YouTube links and such.

www.mikeandersoncomedy.com[/QUOTE]

Good stuff man. I've seen very few people who can rest easy with pauses, and occasional silences. You've obviously developed to a point where you're very comfortable behind the mic.

Would you mind if I kept up with you with questions and querries, not irritatingly of course?

[quote name='strayfoxx']Good stuff man. I've seen very few people who can rest easy with pauses, and occasional silences. You've obviously developed to a point where you're very comfortable behind the mic.

Would you mind if I kept up with you with questions and querries, not irritatingly of course?[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yeah, no problem. Feel free to contact me here, or add me on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/mikeandersoncomedy

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Where are you planning on doing the open mic?[/QUOTE]

I think I messaged you a long time ago about M-Town.

To answer your question, I'm driving down to Huntington. I know a couple people there. Not much in M-Town for comedy, the "Friday Night Funnies" at the Ramada (near the 2nd Wal-Mart) is often a trainwreck. I might eventually head up to Pittsburgh, but WV audiences appear to be more encouraging (as in they hope for comedians to do better, instead of reveling in their on-stage collapse)

And thanks Mike, I'll add you.

[quote name='strayfoxx']I think I messaged you a long time ago about M-Town.

To answer your question, I'm driving down to Huntington. I know a couple people there. Not much in M-Town for comedy, the "Friday Night Funnies" at the Ramada (near the 2nd Wal-Mart) is often a trainwreck. I might eventually head up to Pittsburgh, but WV audiences appear to be more encouraging (as in they hope for comedians to do better, instead of reveling in their on-stage collapse)[/QUOTE]

I don't have any PMs from you, but I do have one that I sent to you. Maybe you meant to reply, but just forgot.

Yeah, there isn't much in Morgantown for comedy. I was just wondering if you knew of something I didn't. I'm a huge fan of stand-up. I used to go to the Comedy Caravan in the student union all the time as an undergrad, not so much anymore. I've never actually gone out to the Ramada.

I've been writing jokes for years, but never actually had the nerve to try anything with it.

bread's done
Back