Any CAGS from Georgia?

ayolykewhoa

CAGiversary!
So I've enrolled in a school in Atlanta and I was wondering how the night life is there? Any places around the city I should visit?

If only there was a forum where people from certain regions to ask questions like this. Someone should PM Cheapy to create it.

[quote name='munch']If only there was a forum where people from certain regions to ask questions like this. Someone should PM Cheapy to create it.[/quote]
but why that would make sense?

I live in Athens, but I'm in ATL a lot. If you've got money, places like Club Europe in Buckhead are okay but a little ritzy. Buckhead is your place. I prefer mid-town, places like Smith's Old Bar to see indy rock bands. Virginia Highlands is a nice, but again expensive like Buckhead, section of ATL to go to a classy bar or restaurant.

I'd get a group together and google Atlanta nightlife to find a few spots. Masquerade is a cool place to see bands, and Smith's Old Bar is my favorite place to hang out. Twain's is cool too, and a lot of Adult Swim people hang out there.

Yes, Buckhead is a popular hangout if you're into trendy places. There's Little 5 Points, if you're into the grunge sort of scene.

You mentioned places to visit. Well, there's Stone Mountain and Six Flags, of course. Underground Atlanta and the Coca Cola museum are somewhat popular sites, too.

What school are you enrolling in, by the way?

Braves and Thrashers games are always a lot of fun too. If you just want to get away from the crowds and be by yourself go see an Atlanta Hawks game.

I'd recommend any of the ATL sports venues.

As for the nightlife, Buckhead is the party capitol of Atlanta, and there's several decent clubs. Some can be on the expensive side, and I wouldn't recommend being anywhere downtown alone. I've gotten into my own share of trouble, so trust me, I know how crazy certain places can be.

My personal advice is to find a couple places outside of downtown. They are usually less expensive (and the women better mannered, IMHO).

There's a great local newspaper that is FREE called "Creative Loafing" that you should check out. It has lists of nightclubs, what bands are playing when, all kinds of information about the Atlanta nightlife. You should be able to find what you're looking for there.

Yeah, I'm going to Emory in the fall and I'm def looking forward to getting some Braves tickets, maybe a Falcons game. I'm guessing people drive to Florida all the time? How are the beaches in the area?

I went to Emory for undergrad. Welcome aboard. :)

As I recall, the Atlanta Braves were in the World Series in my freshman year...they won a game and some overjoyed fan ripped the door off one of the two bathroom stalls on the ground floor of Alabama Hall....reducing our available stalls to 50%, for privacy. :roll:

Good Lord...somebody mentioned Creative Loafing. I haven't seen that thing in years....what a grimey reflection of the social scene.

I went to UGA undergrad, but helped out a friend from time to time who hosted a show on WMRE. Emory is a cool place, and the campus is awesome. Definitely check out creative loafing, and make sure that anywhere you go is with a group of people.

Also, Marta is your friend. I know Georgia State and Georgia Tech have deals worked out where students can get a special pass to ride an unlimited number of times to anywhere Marta goes for $30 a month. I'd get that deal too, although it's a better deal if you were living off campus.

And people do go to Florida all the time. It's about 5 hour drive to Jacksonville.

[quote name='RBM']Good Lord...somebody mentioned Creative Loafing. I haven't seen that thing in years....what a grimey reflection of the social scene.[/QUOTE]

Dude, c'mon, Creative Loafing is awesome.

bread's done
Back