Any chance on a Vita price drop soon?

MrGranger

CAGiversary!
If I could get one for around $150-$190 then I'd jump on the Vita.  It's just a little too high for my impulses.  Are these ever on sale?

Cowboom's a reliable place to get used ones from.

If you don't want to wait for a condition 5+ one to show up in stock, I have a used one I'd like to sell, if you're interested.

I second that Cowboom recommendation. I got a grade 5 wifi version for $144 shipped. I think I waited for 2 or 3 days after I started started checking the site before that one showed up. I used a coupon code Cowboom5 to get a $5 discount. It took about a week to get here, but it is in practically perfect condition. Only a small scratch on the back.

Only thing is, check the pictures and the description on what comes with it. If it's missing accessories, you have to purchase them separately and account for them into your system cost. And of course, those damn expensive memory cards do not come with it. I'd wait for one that has everything included.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboom daily deal today is a wifi vita for $109 + 5 shipping. That's a great deal if you can find a grade 5 or higher.

Got my brand new for ~$150, came with Uncharted + 4GB then I bough a 16GB for $30, wanna a 32GB but fck that Im not falling for that shit. I have EU plus and Im satisfied with the service so far.

.... then I bough a 16GB for $30, wanna a 32GB but fck that Im not falling for that shit....

You say that, but if you run out of space on that 16gb, you're gonna have to buy another one and then you will have spent the same amount of money as you would have if you just bought a 32gb in the first place (assuming you bought the 32gb on sale, of course).

I got my 32gb for $77 on overstock.com While I'm still not happy that they are so expensive, I don't regret getting the biggest one out the gate. I have all the instant and free ps+ games from June and July on there and I still have 13gb left.

Well after Im finished with the game, I just delete it and get a new one. But damn my backlog just keeps growing and having too many games installed just gets me confused which one to play :D

That bundle is a rumor and kind of a ridiculous one. Discount a $250 handheld to $100 if bought with a PS4? Maybe they bundle with a Vita for $600, but then that just makes it all look crazy expensive. Even $550 makes it look expensive. And $100 Vita isn't happening. So I say no way that happens at any price.

I think a 16 GB card is very workable. That's what I have. Sure I'd like a 32 GB, but you're just going to fill that up too and then you're still in the same boat anyway. LOL.

Rumor has it that there will be a PS4/VITA bundle for around $500.
they should've done this with PS3 for $400 & $450 w/32 GB memory card.

OP
Sony has already announced both hardware & memory card price cuts in 2013. It happened in Jan. so most assumed @ E3. I don't think they'll wait too much longer unless there's a PS3/PS4 bundle tie in to generate sales across the board which may happen. If u can wait wait, get the accessories/games that are on clearance now & then go for the price dropped system in 1-2 months. $200 is the cheapest new.

That bundle is a rumor and kind of a ridiculous one. Discount a $250 handheld to $100 if bought with a PS4? Maybe they bundle with a Vita for $600, but then that just makes it all look crazy expensive. Even $550 makes it look expensive. And $100 Vita isn't happening. So I say no way that happens at any price.

I think a 16 GB card is very workable. That's what I have. Sure I'd like a 32 GB, but you're just going to fill that up too and then you're still in the same boat anyway. LOL.
the price cut would drop the vita to $200 & from there $150ish on BF if they do the price cut fast enough. People will pay $550-$600 if they offer a 32GB(64GB if they come) + PS+ and/or a PS4/vita AAA game. Some would just sell the extras to reduce cost others will wanf it all.

Yeah, I got mine used off of ebay in pristine condition. Paid 212.50, but that was with a 16 GB card and 6 games (most of which I sold because I have them from PS+, so that reduced the cost further. One was Sly, though, which I kept.)

I'm still going to hold out even if there was a price drop to less than $150 to $190.  Holding out for a TV output and Dual Shock 3 support for PSP compatible titles. 

It would be interesting if a Dual Shock 4 from a PS4 could be used to play Vita games like how you can pair a Dual Shock 3 with a PSP Go.

I'm still going to hold out even if there was a price drop to less than $150 to $190. Holding out for a TV output and Dual Shock 3 support for PSP compatible titles.
It would be interesting if a Dual Shock 4 from a PS4 could be used to play Vita games like how you can pair a Dual Shock 3 with a PSP Go.
I read somewhere that the VITA controls don't work for the remote play of PS4 titles, I am pretty sure. So DS4 support is very likely since, if I recall correctly, it is a must have.

This is what I posted in the other thread. If Killzone is releasing Sept 10, then there's probably a price cut and even a new model coming out just before that. Weren't they going to release a 4G Vita? Maybe 4G for $250 and Wifi for $200.  It really is time for a price cut in NA. They had one in Japan earlier this year before a big Vita release, and now it's America's turn.

I read somewhere that the VITA controls don't work for the remote play of PS4 titles, I am pretty sure. So DS4 support is very likely since, if I recall correctly, it is a must have.
What you most likely read was that the Vita can't be used as a controller for the PS4 unless the game is specifically designed for it. Otherwise it was already shown way back in February that the Vita controls work with PS4 remote play titles. Mark Cerny was playing Knack on the Vita.

What you most likely read was that the Vita can't be used as a controller for the PS4 unless the game is specifically designed for it. Otherwise it was already shown way back in February that the Vita controls work with PS4 remote play titles. Mark Cerny was playing Knack on the Vita.
Thanks for the clarification... Kind of.

So if all games are required to be remote play, then how would there be an instance of not allowing the Vita to be a controller?

Yeah I know. Just doesn't make sense really is all, lol. If all games are required to be "dumbed down" to the VITA controls to be played remotely, then how much harder would it be to add it as a controller? I dunno, just seems weird to me is all.

Yeah it's weird to me too and I don't really know the reasoning behind it. Maybe Sony doesn't want to trouble developers anymore than they already are with having to make it playable on Vita, so they're leaving the option to add controller functionality up to them. Or maybe they're just covering themselves so the feature can be patched in at a later date. Who knows?

Overall I like the idea of Remote Play because sometime when I cant play on TV or Im somewhere with no reach of PS3/4 so I just turn on Vita and play my games remotely. I think unless you play MP or fast-paced combat games then I dont see any problem with controlling by Vita. Would you feel playing Diablo 3 more comfortable with DS than being able to use spells with touch screen on Vita?

Yeah I know. Just doesn't make sense really is all, lol. If all games are required to be "dumbed down" to the VITA controls to be played remotely, then how much harder would it be to add it as a controller? I dunno, just seems weird to me is all.
It might be a hardware limitation depending on how much resources a game takes up that is why it requires developer support instead of being mandatory like Remote Play. With remote play your primary display is shut off while the content is streamed to the PSP/PS Vita (On PS4 a special ARM chip is responsible for this so no need to hive off resources from the main CPU/GPU for streaming). Depending on how resource intensive the game is, the hardware might not be able to output video on your hdtv, and simultaniously stream content to the PS Vita without lag.

I think some might ask how the Wii U is able to do both. I'm guessing that PS4 developers will most likely want to dedicate hardware resources to the game instead of the PS Vita. It wouldn't be fair to PS4 console owners who don't own a PS Vita to have the game slightly downgraded to support the PS Vita as a second controller along with the Dualshock 4.

I like the idea of remote play, but I'm a little skeptical that it will work well even on PS4. The WiiU was designed for it - console and gamepad. Plus the gamepad has dual triggers and all that. The Vita is being retrofitted for it. Would love to have this proven wrong, though.

I like the idea of remote play, but I'm a little skeptical that it will work well even on PS4. The WiiU was designed for it - console and gamepad. Plus the gamepad has dual triggers and all that. The Vita is being retrofitted for it. Would love to have this proven wrong, though.
Actually, the PS4 is being built with this from the start. The Vita is also almost exactly like the Wii U gamepad, the only difference is the PS4 has far more power and capabilities compared to the Wii U. With the dedicated hardware in the background/on-board for recording/streaming, etc, I would imagine Sony FINALLY has a solid method to get remote play working.

The PS4 may be designed for it, but that's only half the equation.
Are you trying to call into question if the Vita was designed for it? It's now known that the PS4 started being developed in early 2008, more than a year before any rumblings of a "PSP2" (what we now know as the Vita) surfaced. After trying and failing to get Remote Play to originally work with the PS3/PSP, in all likelihood Sony developed the Vita from the very beginning to work with the PS4.

Any chance?  One hundred ten percent chance.  I can practically guarantee it.

I say this as a Vita owner who has been trying to sell one for the past month.  The value of these things is nonexistent.  I've put a bundle up on Craigslist, Vita, 3 games, 4 MB card, and Rocketfish hard-shell carry case.  Started at $200, dropped to $180, then $160.  It's in perfect condition, has had a screen saver on it since purchase, original boxes, manuals, etc.....and I can't find a buyer at all.

I have received exactly one response thus far, from a guy who is infamous in this area for trying to buy stuff with counterfeit $100 bills.  I'm not even getting the usual "give u $100 for it" or "trade u for it" responses that I usually get when I put gaming stuff up for sale on CL.  There's literally no interest.  At all.

The trade-in value for a Vita at Gamestop is $50....less than the 3DS at the moment.  Right now, they're offering double value for traded in consoles....I can get about $135 in trade in value for the games and stuff I have....thinking of taking them up on it.

The Vita has been the biggest waste of my gaming dollar ever.  I take the blame - not really a "handheld guy" and in spite of the promise of the device, it really never did anything to change my mind.  Even PS+ couldn't save it for me, and the whole "play your PS4 games remotely" sounds cool, but, knowing myself, I'd use it exactly once to see if it worked and then never touch it again. 

With the used market the way it currently exists, the Vita is going to be a tough sell even at an official price of $199.99.  If you're waiting for a price drop, might as well wait for two price drops, because I don't think a second one will be that far off.

Any chance? One hundred ten percent chance. I can practically guarantee it.

I say this as a Vita owner who has been trying to sell one for the past month. The value of these things is nonexistent. I've put a bundle up on Craigslist, Vita, 3 games, 4 MB card, and Rocketfish hard-shell carry case. Started at $200, dropped to $180, then $160. It's in perfect condition, has had a screen saver on it since purchase, original boxes, manuals, etc.....and I can't find a buyer at all.

As someone who was looking for a second hand vita (got mine on cowboom) , I can tell you why your's didn't sell: The memory card. No one wants a 4gb memory card. You might as well have not included it. Any buyer on Craigslist could have found a vita on ebay with an 8gb or 16gb card for the price you were selling it for. Games are not a big seller for this system because of ps+.

Sony is going to have to cut the prices of those memory cards by half if they want people to buy a system, even with a price drop.

Any chance? One hundred ten percent chance. I can practically guarantee it.

I say this as a Vita owner who has been trying to sell one for the past month. The value of these things is nonexistent. I've put a bundle up on Craigslist, Vita, 3 games, 4 MB card, and Rocketfish hard-shell carry case. Started at $200, dropped to $180, then $160. It's in perfect condition, has had a screen saver on it since purchase, original boxes, manuals, etc.....and I can't find a buyer at all.

I have received exactly one response thus far, from a guy who is infamous in this area for trying to buy stuff with counterfeit $100 bills. I'm not even getting the usual "give u $100 for it" or "trade u for it" responses that I usually get when I put gaming stuff up for sale on CL. There's literally no interest. At all.

The trade-in value for a Vita at Gamestop is $50....less than the 3DS at the moment. Right now, they're offering double value for traded in consoles....I can get about $135 in trade in value for the games and stuff I have....thinking of taking them up on it.

The Vita has been the biggest waste of my gaming dollar ever. I take the blame - not really a "handheld guy" and in spite of the promise of the device, it really never did anything to change my mind. Even PS+ couldn't save it for me, and the whole "play your PS4 games remotely" sounds cool, but, knowing myself, I'd use it exactly once to see if it worked and then never touch it again.

With the used market the way it currently exists, the Vita is going to be a tough sell even at an official price of $199.99. If you're waiting for a price drop, might as well wait for two price drops, because I don't think a second one will be that far off.
Have you tried selling them elsewhere? Maybe I got lucky, but it only took about two weeks to sell a used Vita I got from GameStop (charger + USB cable, no memory card) for $140 shipped, or $125 after fees/shipping.

Not going to bother trying to sell it elsewhere.  From what I can tell, no Vitas are selling in my area (Seattle metro area).  Ads come up on CL and are still there three days later.  Those ads that do vanish reappear a short time later with a lower price....lather, rinse, repeat.  My latest effort went up on Tuesday and got one reply - the two previous ones, with higher pricing, got nothing at all.  I also put a Fanatec racing wheel up at the same time and it sold in a matter of a couple of hours.

To the guy who said it's not selling because of the small memory card, not really.  I actually read all the CL ads and priced my package extremely competitively in regards to features - I basically put it up for about $25 less than the nearest competitive package, which didn't even include the case.  Hell, there are pawn shops trying to sell the system alone for what I'm asking for one that's been very well taken care of and includes three games and a case.  No luck at all.

There is simply no interest in these devices right now, at least, not in my area.  Some great bargains to be had if you really want one; hell, make me an offer for mine.  Naw, too late, I'm on my way to GameStop.  At this point, if I wait around any longer, Sony will announce an official price drop and it will lose even more value.  Might as well ring up what I can while I can still get it, it might not even be bringing $100 at this time next month.

Vita will be worth owning when all of the PSN games made for PS4 are playable on it. Talking the downloadable type of games, not the retail games also available on PSN.

You'd have paid $135?  OK, I don't feel so bad about only getting $134 and change now.  Didn't even have to drive to the post office.

Thus endeth the saga of the biggest gaming money pit I've been in since the Sega Saturn.

So, rather than starting a new thread, I just wanted to state it in here.  Does anyone else feel that if Sony added some of their PS3 MMOs to the Vita, it would sell more?  I would probably buy a vita, if I could play DC universe online on it.  Same with XIV

I really want the Vita to have a price drop soon. I already own one, so it's not for me... or not exactly. I think a price drop will get more sales going on it, and more sales means more games. I don't think the Vita is dead, but I do worry about its longevity without them giving it a price drop and making it more desirable.

bread's done
Back