Any coin collectors on CAG?

I'm not, but I watch the Coin Vault on QVC all the time. There's just something about Robert Chambers' enthusiasm for Morgan silver dollars and proof sets that keeps me watching.

Ever since I was a kid I've been taking every coin I've found pre-1970 and put them in a jar(s). Not entirely useful probably ::shrug::

I have a small collection of coins... a little over a hundred or so that I found metal detecting in my yard... suprisingly some decent finds though, coins dating back as far as the late 1700s, Barber Dimes, Eagle Pennies, some Three-Cent Pieces... etc.

I still wonder how they all got there.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Ever since I was a kid I've been taking every coin I've found pre-1970 and put them in a jar(s). Not entirely useful probably ::shrug::[/QUOTE]

Completely useless. :lol:

I love the state quaters, the WY state coin is the worst non dollar coin ever made. Sadly next year is the last year for them. The president dollar coins are useless until Congress get's it's ass moving and gets rid of the paper dollar.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/index.cfm?action=50_state_quarters_program

I also have a pretty good penny conection. In 2009 they change the penny for Lincoln's 200th birthday and the 100th aniversary of the Lincoln cent.

[quote name='AnotherStereotype']I have a small collection of coins... a little over a hundred or so that I found metal detecting in my yard... suprisingly some decent finds though, coins dating back as far as the late 1700s, Barber Dimes, Eagle Pennies, some Three-Cent Pieces... etc.

I still wonder how they all got there.[/quote]

Nice, I'm actually thinking about getting into metal detecting. Which metal detector do you use?

[quote name='David85']Completely useless. :lol:

I love the state quaters, the WY state coin is the worst non dollar coin ever made. Sadly next year is the last year for them. The president dollar coins are useless until Congress get's it's ass moving and gets rid of the paper dollar.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/index.cfm?action=50_state_quarters_program

I also have a pretty good penny conection. In 2009 they change the penny for Lincoln's 200th birthday and the 100th aniversary of the Lincoln cent.[/quote]

The state quarters are fun to collect. I have all the mint sets since they started producing those.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']The state quarters are fun to collect. I have all the mint sets since they started producing those.[/QUOTE]

The 1999 sets, the first year, proof set is worth some good money.

[quote name='RawisJericho']Nice, I'm actually thinking about getting into metal detecting. Which metal detector do you use?[/quote]

Not sure if they make it anymore... got it nearly 10 years ago, but it hasn't let me down... a White's Quantum Deep-Scan 950... gives you information on the composition of what you've found before you even dig it up, and whether or not it's most likely a coin/foil/ring/scrap iron/deposits in the soil/etc... gauges the depth pretty accurately too. They have some nice looking ones on their site now... closest one I see to the one I purchased 10 years ago (although I'd imagine the new one would be far better, judging by the price), would be http://www.whiteselectronics.com/xltw.php

Also, the pinpointer on their site is a great little tool as well.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']http://cgi.ebay.com/1999-to-2006-US...32QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3359QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:shock:

I have 1999-2006, just like the above set that sold for $350. I probably spent about $200 in order to get them so far... :D[/QUOTE]

In 2005 the 1999 proof sets were selling for at least $80 on eBay. During that time the mint also released 20,000ish sets that they found in a warehouse somewhere and sold them for $20. Sadly I was too late, they sold pretty fast.

And I love watching the Shop at Home things they have about coins, they are fun. Anyone who ever buys any coins from themhas to be an idiot. One time they were selling the complete proof set of The Susen B ANthony coins, including the super special 1999 one for the low low price of $1200! The set is most likely worth maybe $100. I don't see anyone wanting those coins that badly. On ebay there is only one aution I can find and it's $125 for the set yet the people on TV sell it for 10 times that.

bread's done
Back