Any Deals on the Macgyver Season 1 DVD set?

[quote name='onikage']I'm hoping to find it for around $20. It retails for $29.99.[/quote]

crap even 30 is awesome, that is one niffy dude

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Tell you what, if you can get to Tulsa, Oklahoma using only a drinking straw, a rubber band, and a paper clip, I will buy the set for you.[/quote]

MacGyver would hang his head in shame, he can do that two time folds

24.99 at CC or BB. It's a 6 DVD set without 22 episodes abput 45 mins each so thats one hell of a set. I'm gonna be picking it up thursday definitly.

[quote name='eldad9']I wish I could remember - did the show go downhill after the second season, or after the third one?[/quote]

LOL IMO the show never went downhill and was always kick ass.

After the first season, there were no longer opening gambits (first few minutes of the show, action packed adventure having nothing to do with the rest of it, including such classics as "the map" and "pegasus"). At some point mac stopped talking to us, became a social worker instead of secret agent/spy, nearly stopped doing macgyverisms, and even had an episode where he helped the wizard merlin and one of his own ancestors (and we learned his first name - Angus).

Can you seriously tell me the seventh season is as good as the first one?

[quote name='pimpinc333'][quote name='eldad9']I wish I could remember - did the show go downhill after the second season, or after the third one?[/quote]

LOL IMO the show never went downhill and was always kick ass.[/quote]

I'd say the show got a bit tired after the 5th season, but never really went downhill. In fact, the show could have gone on a couple more seasons and been ok. :eek: However, I didn't care for the movies much.

I found the DVD set for $22 at Outpost.com, so:

$22 + $6.50 ground shipping = $29.49 if you don't want to leave the house.
(plus tax if you live in AZ, CA, CT, GA, OH, TX, NV,WA and IL)

I didn't really watch any MacGuyver back in the day, but my recent love of Stargate has me curious about it. Does the series hold up well, or is it more of a nostalgia thing?

[quote name='argyle']I didn't really watch any MacGuyver back in the day, but my recent love of Stargate has me curious about it. Does the series hold up well, or is it more of a nostalgia thing?[/quote]
Like any show made nearly 20 years ago there is a layer of cheese. However that doesnt hinder Mac in the slighest,.
If you really want to check this show out before a purchase, I suggest tuning into TvLand at 1 AM.

I am on the fence about buying this set. I really enjoyed MacGuyver back in the day (and have also had renewed interest based on Stargate), but this set is absolutely BARE BONES. No extras whatsoever as far as i can tell from the box and reviews. This upsets me in a lot of ways, and i've been burned on this kind of set with Quantum Leap already so it kind of turns me off of it.

Does anyone remember the episode where he goes blind. At the end he manages to escape from a woman trying to kill him in a warehouse and uses a car battery in a puddle of water as trap, so when se steps in it she gets shocked. All this without being able to see

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']Does anyone remember the episode where he goes blind. At the end he manages to escape from a woman trying to kill him in a warehouse and uses a car battery in a puddle of water as trap, so when se steps in it she gets shocked. All this without being able to see[/quote]

Hell yeah..

What about the Bigfoot suit or whatever...

So Season 1 is unarguably one of the better seasons of the series? (Unlike some other shows that maybe took a season or two to really get rolling.)

I may check this out. Too bad the 20% off any DVD at BB coupons expired at the end of the year :(

TV Movies

Lost Treasure of Atlantis

MacGyver, his archaeology professor, and an old friend team up to search for the legendary treasure of Atlantis, but an enterprising Englishman and his partner want the treasure for other reasons.

# NOTE: The search for the Lost City of Atlantis would become a major plot thread during the seventh season of "Stargate SG-1", which also stars Richard Dean Anderson. The Roman god Cronus and the Ancients, the original Roman gods, who were mentioned in this TV-movie, would also later play a major part in "Stargate SG-1"
# Brian Blessed, Oliver Ford Davies and Hugh Quarshie all later appearded in "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"

Trail to Doomsday

In England, MacGyver investigates the mystery of his friend's murder and discovers a secret nuclear weapons facility in the process.

[quote name='E-Z-B']My favorite was the one with Macgyver fights an army of ants. :lol:[/quote]

That was a great episode. :applause:

[quote name='wubb']So Season 1 is unarguably one of the better seasons of the series? (Unlike some other shows that maybe took a season or two to really get rolling.)

I may check this out. Too bad the 20% off any DVD at BB coupons expired at the end of the year :([/quote]

season 1 is probably the best or second best season.

[quote name='eldad9']If you buy this set /
season two will be released /
extras will be yours.[/quote]

dont know about that logic. Quantum LEap season 1 had some extras. Season 2 had none.

I picked this set up at Wal Mart for $23.74. No features, but at a little over a dollar per episode, its not a bad deal at all. MacGyver is the man.

Also, I hear tons of complaints about the Quantum Leap season 2 set. Personally, I love it. The packaging is nice, and it's affordable. Plus it's one of the greatest sci-fi shows of all time. Sure there's no features, but the episodes are more than enough for me. I've seen some tv shows get far worse DVD treatment than Quantum Leap.

[quote name='duderanch']
Also, I hear tons of complaints about the Quantum Leap season 2 set. Personally, I love it. The packaging is nice, and it's affordable. Plus it's one of the greatest sci-fi shows of all time. Sure there's no features, but the episodes are more than enough for me. I've seen some tv shows get far worse DVD treatment than Quantum Leap.[/quote]

I would be fine with no features, but the editing of crucial music in crucial scenes in the series is what prevented me from getting it.

[quote name='onikage']I found a cheap way to get this DVD set. Go to KB toys, buy MGS3 for $20, take it to Wal-Mart and get a $50 gift card... :twisted:[/quote]

Congratulations, you are the first person to ever consider or suggest committing fraud for fun and profit. We don't condone fraud around here, though. You may go away now.

[quote name='eldad9']Deepdiscountdvd.com price - $ 26.14 (free shipping).[/quote]

Same here! Best deal overall, no gas involved!! Not to mention they don't alter prices so quick like B&M's do. They usually stay solid from the initial posting.

BTW, 9.35 for SE October Sky too. Best deal anywhere as well. ^^

[quote name='oddjob93'][quote name='argyle']I didn't really watch any MacGuyver back in the day, but my recent love of Stargate has me curious about it. Does the series hold up well, or is it more of a nostalgia thing?[/quote]
Like any show made nearly 20 years ago there is a layer of cheese. However that doesnt hinder Mac in the slighest,.
If you really want to check this show out before a purchase, I suggest tuning into TvLand at 1 AM.[/quote]

Better yet, just set the VCR for Spike at 10 AM eastern every morning.

[quote name='onikage'][quote name='E-Z-B']My favorite was the one with Macgyver fights an army of ants. :lol:[/quote]

That was a great episode. :applause:[/quote]

Yeah it was! I rememember making practical use out of that episode when dealing with overrunning of ants...

...which, I have over time, forgotten. :roll:

Here's the thing about Mac in the early years-

Rick's acting is much more stilted in the first few seasons, because he hadn't really gotten into the character yet. This is true of any show, really. I mean, go back to the first year of the Simpsons. Homer was positively COMPETENT in that first season. Now he's so free and easy he's practically become predictable.

The one thing you will notice about later seasons from the first is that Mac stops narrating his adventures. It was nicer when he broke the fourth wall in narration to tell you what he's doing, rather than having Mac having to explain to every minor character his reasons for needing a shoelace and some baking powder, which can become a bit long-winded, and unnatural in some cases.

Still, mid-run got really good with that recurring scarred-up villan, and dealing with Dana Elcar's real-life blindness. And Terri Hatcher looking lithe and lean, and so delecably young and naive in a handful of reccurrences.

Jack was still the best recurring character though.

One of my most memorable episodes was Mac using a neon tube to suck a sulfite out of an airtight multi-tiered bomb on board a cruise ship. So looking forward to seeing that one again soon.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy'][quote name='duderanch']
Also, I hear tons of complaints about the Quantum Leap season 2 set. Personally, I love it. The packaging is nice, and it's affordable. Plus it's one of the greatest sci-fi shows of all time. Sure there's no features, but the episodes are more than enough for me. I've seen some tv shows get far worse DVD treatment than Quantum Leap.[/quote]

I would be fine with no features, but the editing of crucial music in crucial scenes in the series is what prevented me from getting it.[/quote]

I didnt know about the music issue until after i had purchased it, but i also havent yet progressed through the season enough to notice either. I suspect i will only notice on one or two episodes anyway, so we'll see. I agree that QL is one of the greates SciFi shows but still, to get no extras at all is pretty shady.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']anyone remember the episode where he uses chicken eggs to plug a whole in the radiator of his jeep?[/quote]

Didn't they prove that this actually works on Mythbusters too?

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Tell you what, if you can get to Tulsa, Oklahoma using only a drinking straw, a rubber band, and a paper clip, I will buy the set for you.[/quote]

That seemed like a family guy and mcguyver reference in one

bread's done
Back