Any deals or thoughts on electric lawnmowers.

fatherofcaitlyn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
I want an electric lawnmower.

Requirements:
I have about 0.2 acres to mow for my house about 20 times a year.
I want it cordless.
I want the battery to be removable so I can store it inside during the winter.
I want the savings to pay for the difference between a gas mower in 2 years.

Miscellaneous:
I have a shed for storage.

Are there any brands I should be looking at?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=183617-270-BL074&lpage=none

Here's the main competition: Gas and oil lawnmower for $150.

http://www.remingtonpowertools.com/product_detail.cgi?file=0.51

This brand looks good, but has a price tag of $450.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=98446-70-CMM1200&lpage=none

This mower is the only cordless mower at Lowes and the price is $400.

[quote name='Malik112099']The electic one isnt going to pay for itself for YEARS..that is if it lasts for years...

My next lawnmower will probably be a Honda

get one of these: http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/[/QUOTE]

This.

They suck honestly. I spend MAYBE $10 a year on gas cutting my yard, which is bigger than what you've specified in the OP. I looked at one a while ago and ended up buying a Honda myself. More expensive upfront, but a very solid mower that I expect to last for years.

Read the reviews and I'm talking all of them that people have posted after they bought it. I have someone cut mine and when I thought that they might not be able to any more it was time to start looking for a mower. I wanted an electric one also and saw one at home depot. The one I was looking at was the Homelite 20 In. Cordless Electric Mower. I was only looking at it because I needed to pick stuff up at Home Depot and wanted a price on one. I got home started to read the reviews and changed my mind fast. With it you only had maybe 45 minutes to cut, you had to charge it every x number of days or else it would be dead, you only could have it pluged in y number of times. One of the last reviews for it said that they would only suggest getting it if you had a timer like they had to plug it into. You have to keep this thing charged and on the cycle all year long evne during the off season.

As for the others I don't know.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']

I want an electric lawnmower.

Requirements:
I want it cordless.[/QUOTE]

After much research, I ended up buying the Black & Decker Cordless 24V from Home Depot in the spring. They had a sale going on so I picked it up for $300. It is currently at $400, but it might drop again near the end of the season. Absolutely love it. I have a typical suburbia lawn that it handles without issue. Quiet, easy to maintain and high reviews made this a no-brainer. The one issue you should be aware of: The battery is designed to not come out. However, I found quite a few posts on the interwebs explaining how exactly to remove and replace. Best of luck in your quest for the perfect mower.

Edit: Dur...just looked at your bottom link. That would be the mower I have. If you can wait, see if it drops at the end of the season. For $300, it is a solid buy.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Don't electric mowers last longer than gas mowers?

Electric motors generally last longer than gas motors.

The only weakness would be the battery.[/QUOTE]

The motor is irrelevant if your battery dies within a year or two.

My mom has had a gas mower (briggs and straton engine) that has lasted about 18 years now. The only thing that has to be replaced is the spark plug.

My Honda is on it's third year now and has zero problems.

For what you're looking to do, I don't see why you don't go buy a $150 gas mower and call it a day.

The only reason I'm getting a new mower is because I broke my current one. If you maintain the engine, they should last quite a long time (except for Snapper, every Snapper my family has every had has sucked. My dad threw his last one in the lake.)

A 2 1/2 gallon gas tank lasts quite a long time.

I don't have a huge yard, but it's too big to use a corded mower, and I didn't want to spring for a cordless one. I agree, the battery would have to be user replaceable to make it a attractive. I'm going to probably get a basic mulch/discharge one for 150 or so, unless I catch an end-of-season sale. It doesn't sound like they've got the battery efficiencies worked out.

[quote name='mtxbass1']The motor is irrelevant if your battery dies within a year or two.

My mom has had a gas mower (briggs and straton engine) that has lasted about 18 years now. The only thing that has to be replaced is the spark plug.

My Honda is on it's third year now and has zero problems.

For what you're looking to do, I don't see why you don't go buy a $150 gas mower and call it a day.[/QUOTE]

I want to dream. I want a lawnmower that isn't as loud or smelly as a gas mower. I don't want to buy a gas can. I want to spend 5 cents to mow my lawn instead of whatever a gallon of gas costs on mowing day and the costs of the 6 mile round trip through the nearest gas station. I don't want to check or replace oil.

Reality will eventually kick in. Today's gas prices dictate I need an electric mower to be only $40-50 more than the gas equivalent. Last year would have been $80-100. Gas cans aren't expensive. I'll be changing the oil in my cars in the driveway anyways. Any 10% off coupon at Lowe's will lower the cost of the gas mower, too. The battery on a cheap electric mower might be cheap.

I sell these electric mowers and they will never save you money in the long run. The most you can get with a battery is about two years and most replace every year. The Black and Decker battery cost about $70 to replace making it cheaper to buy gas. The only thing thats good about it is that it is eco green. Best deal is to find an MTD Pro with a Honda engine that can be bought for less then $300 or pay $500 to $700 for a Honda brand Mower. Let me know if you have any questions on mowers?

[quote name='JPCERTIFIED']I sell these electric mowers and they will never save you money in the long run. The most you can get with a battery is about two years and most replace every year. The Black and Decker battery cost about $70 to replace making it cheaper to buy gas. The only thing thats good about it is that it is eco green. Best deal is to find an MTD Pro with a Honda engine that can be bought for less then $300 or pay $500 to $700 for a Honda brand Mower. Let me know if you have any questions on mowers?[/QUOTE]

What type of batteries are only lasting 2 years? Sealed Lead Acid, AGM, NiMH or Li-Ion?

Got a link for the MTD Pro?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']What type of batteries are only lasting 2 years? Sealed Lead Acid, AGM, NiMH or Li-Ion?

Got a link for the MTD Pro?[/QUOTE]

Lead Acid, AGM, and NiMH all have a shelf life of about two years and most on a mower. You would use it all summer and then store it for months which would kill the battery. Li-Ion has not showed up on Mowers that I sell but would be expensive if they did.

http://www.amazon.com/MTD-21-Inch-D...ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1251216132&sr=1-2

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']If the battery was actively used during the winter months, would the battery still crap out after 2 years?[/QUOTE]

yes most likely. Its a Black and Decker product they make money on batteries not the tool it self (goes for any battery operated Black and Decker product). Menards discontinued these mowers a few years ago.

Thinking about a reel and wait for technology to catch up to your needs?

Been using one for 2 years, sucks on the long stuff... but easy otherwise, sharpen it a few times a year, with a compound and keep it rust free.

Much eaiser than keeping a gas can/oil/spare parts/noise and smell.

If you land is flat, not much for sticks... a reel would be perfect.

I think once the cars get better batteries built, we'll see it trickle down to consumer products then too. It's still going to be awhile.

Purchased a reel for $70, and thinking of picking up another so I can make the wife do one and we can tag team the lawn at the same time.

The best thing I see from using the reel is that it makes the grass look more natural, less like carpet and doesn't nearly get as yellow/brown/burnt in hot days because of the clean cuts of the grass. Neighbors lawn turns yellow in the dryest/hottest parts and ours is still green.

[quote name='xycury']The best thing I see from using the reel is that it makes the grass look more natural, less like carpet and doesn't nearly get as yellow/brown/burnt in hot days because of the clean cuts of the grass. Neighbors lawn turns yellow in the dryest/hottest parts and ours is still green.[/QUOTE]

Your neighbors are cutting too short and need to set their mower at a higher setting. I always recommend to the customers to always set their mowers to the highest setting possible.

[quote name='JPCERTIFIED']Your neighbors are cutting too short and need to set their mower at a higher setting. I always recommend to the customers to always set their mowers to the highest setting possible.[/QUOTE]

Probably to mow less? but it sure doesn't look pretty.

I'm looking for a mower also. Probably going to pick up a reliable used one. But first I'm going to try this. It's cheap, quiet and is american made. Waiting for it to arrive.

[quote name='JPCERTIFIED']These guys are good but they leave clippings all over since they do not mulch[/QUOTE]

If I had another half acre, I would probably just buy a steer and let it eat the grass during the summer and slaughter it for meat in November.

bread's done
Back