any difference between launch Wii and 08 Wii?

rscaramelo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
I have a launch Wii and a brand new sealed Wii. Is there any difference between the two? Any hardware improvements? If there's no difference I plan on selling the sealed one. Just curious.

thanks,

RC

IIRC the newer ones are harder to modchip?

I've never tried but looked into it a while ago and vaguely remember somethign like that

[quote name='mofo1115']IIRC the newer ones are harder to modchip?

I've never tried but looked into it a while ago and vaguely remember somethign like that[/quote]

Yeah, I think the newest Wii is currently impossible to mod while a launch Wii is fairly easy to do.

I'm sure there have been some improvements in there but I have no idea what they would be. Better lasers?

Yeah, the new one has the Wii Remote jackets inside as well as a slightly updated copy of Wii Sports. The loading screen now shows the Wii Remote wearing its jacket and I swear it feels slightly different. The mechanics of Boxing felt slightly more fluid? That's probably just wishful thinking though.

Oh, the clear circular plastic base is also "installed" into the grey base in the new boxes.

We picked one up for my cousin and I was confused as we set it up, thinking, "Mine didn't come with one of these . . ." Of course, I had just ignored the stand on the bottom of the box when I tore mine open.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Yeah, I think the newest Wii is currently impossible to mod while a launch Wii is fairly easy to do.

I'm sure there have been some improvements in there but I have no idea what they would be. Better lasers?[/quote]
i think that might have something to do with the firmware, which is upgraded if you want to play the latest games

[quote name='Machine']Some of the launch units had problems with the GPU overheating - was that fixed in later versions?[/quote]They weren't overheating; they were just bad. And yeah, that's long-since been fixed.

[quote name='decrot']i think that might have something to do with the firmware, which is upgraded if you want to play the latest games[/QUOTE]

it has nothing to do with firmware. The older wii is very easy to mod with wiikey since you have to solder like 2 wires. While with the newer wii have have to solder like 15-30 wires and it is a lot harder.

So pretty much just it's harder to mod and they pack in some skins for the controllers? No big deal. I picked one up at GS the other day. I knew of a couple of people who wanted one but they already found their own. It looks like the days of making some serious profit on ebay with these is gone so I'll probably take it back. If there was some sort of significant change I would sell my used one and keep the new one.

thanks,

RC

bread's done
Back