Any Experts on LCD TVs? Trying to buy one this week..

harunim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hello fellow CAG members.

I finally decided to buy a LCD TV this weekend and i need help choosing the right one as i am no expert on this TV.

Anyways.. ill be using this TV mostly as a computer monitor, play games or watch dvds. Probably use with PS3 later this year..

I see there are many specs such as 1000:1 Ratio or # of HDMI outputs..
Im not sure what those mean..

Any help appreciated..

Right now, i am looking at 32" Viewsonic at newegg. Price is decent and good reviews..

Should i look into Sony or Samsung?
Any other specific specs i should be concerned?

Thanks!

please please please stay away from that viewsonic at newegg.

Viewsonic makes a good monitor. They make not so good LCD TV's.

If you want to go cheap, go Vizio or Syntax...

[quote name='mtxbass1']please please please stay away from that viewsonic at newegg.

Viewsonic makes a good monitor. They make not so good LCD TV's.

If you want to go cheap, go Vizio or Syntax...[/QUOTE]

Why So? Any specific reason?

I am either thinking this model or maybe 32" Samsung which has better contrast ratio but $300 more expensive...

Any people actually use them as PC monitors?
How good are they?

It would probably be cheaper for you to buy a nice LCD PC monitor and just use it as TV as well. You can use either a monitor with a digital input or just use a VGA to component or s-video cable to hook up your components. You'll also get a much higher resolution than a comparably priced LCD TV.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']It would probably be cheaper for you to buy a nice LCD PC monitor and just use it as TV as well. You can use either a monitor with a digital input or just use a VGA to component or s-video cable to hook up your components. You'll also get a much higher resolution than a comparably priced LCD TV.[/QUOTE]

I thought about it.. but i want 32" or larger...

I think ill be getting Samsung LN3241D. Its 3000:1 ratio contrast for $1080 shipped from amazon..

Anyone know whats the best way to connect them to PC?
just VGA to VGA port?

i got a 40 inch lcd Westinghouse from bestbuy. its only 800:1 contrast but i am very pleased with it, it has a built in dvd player which i really dont care for

it was reg $1299 but i ended up paying around $1000

[quote name='harunim']I thought about it.. but i want 32" or larger...

I think ill be getting Samsung LN3241D. Its 3000:1 ratio contrast for $1080 shipped from amazon..

Anyone know whats the best way to connect them to PC?
just VGA to VGA port?[/QUOTE]

Excellent TV choice BTW.

Here's what you need to know:

It WILL connect to a computer simple as VGA to VGA. Switching to the VGA input is like changing to Video 1/2/3 etc on a regular tv - you're just switching to a new input. Frankly I like the Samsung the best because it automatically detects which inputs are being used and skips over ones that aren't being used.

The Samsung is the BEST LCD TV you can buy. It has the best features. The Sony and Sharp outperform it but their price-to-performance ratio doesn't match the Samsung. Unless you're truly picky don't bother with higher priced models.

It has two HDMI connections. HDMI is the latest and greatest way to connect components to your TV - HD DVD and BLU-RAY use it, as will the PS3. It's convenient to have two so you can have one for either player, one for a player and a game system, and so on. It only has one component video input, but it's really a moot point given that component video is no longer the best connection possible.

Enjoy your Tv. Remember, only get the extended warranty if it's 10% or less than the purchase price. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

I picked up this Olevia 32 inch LCD TV earlier this week and using it as my computer monitor and for xbox 360; My friend has the 27 inch version of this screen and I always liked it, and at this price I couldn't pass it up: $699 out the door at Office Depot. The best part of buying it locally is if you get any dead pixels, they will let you return it right away. Buying online if you get a dead pixel you're screwed and usually won't have any way of returning the tv.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=940651&Ntt=432v&uniqueSearchFlag=true&An=text

Yea, I'm sorta in the market for a 32' LCD TV right now also. The Vizio Seems like a great but for the Price. I was also looking at a Sharp at CC for 999.99. But for 300.00 more I'm wondering if its worth it.

I'm not an expert on HDTV's. But was looking for a tv and saw the Sharp 26" LCD HDTV (LC-26SH20U) at Costco for $699.99 and picked one up. I think Circuit City had it also for $749.99. Perfect size for a bedroom for me. The channels that come in HD mostly the basic channels I get CBS, FOX, ABC look great when you view them in HD look great but when I view the regular signal I dont know if its that the HD looks so good it makes the regular channles look bad.

op- did you buy a tv yet?
If you haven't, hold off until you read up as much as you can at avsforum.com
that really goes for anyone shopping for an hdtv. Just realize no tv is perfect.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I use this samsung in my bedroom and love it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat95100050006&id=1134702498462

Works fantastic as a PC monitor and a gaming TV.[/QUOTE]

I also have the Samsung LNS3251 and have been very happy with it. Looks GORGEOUS with HD content and does a nice job with 480p stuff like DVDs and current generation video games. I'm using a GameCube on it hooked up via component. The game mode was designed with Microsoft. It has two HDMI inputs, which is nice, as up until recently most LCDs only came with one. On the other hand, it only has one set of component inputs, which can be a hassle.

Contrast ratio is probably the single most important number you want to look at for an LCD, and as you've probably noticed, Samsung has some of the best. Sony's competing LCD line is also a good choice in the same price range.

Avoid the LNS3241D if possible. Doesn't look as good as the 51D and it reportedly has some problems with clipping and other issues.

Also, think twice before purchasing an LCD panel online, even from a company as reliable as Amazon. LCDs, no matter how high in quality, are notoriously susceptible to dead and stuck pixels. If you buy at a B&M, it's a lot easier to swap it out in that initial return period than it is through the mail. Also, most online stores have a much stricter policy on dead pixels and will only swap your set if you have a bunch or if they're concentrated in one place.

Agreed with the above poster who recommends doing as much research as possible on www.avsforum.com. That's what I did (and continue to do).

[quote name='vherub']op- did you buy a tv yet?
If you haven't, hold off until you read up as much as you can at avsforum.com
that really goes for anyone shopping for an hdtv. Just realize no tv is perfect.[/QUOTE]

I can't stress this advice enough. Especially make sure that you are getting a TV with NO LAG when playing games!!!

[quote name='DirtRoadSport']I can't stress this advice enough. Especially make sure that you are getting a TV with NO LAG when playing games!!![/QUOTE]

Exactly. For instance, the 40" model of the Samsung I have is notorious for its lag problems, while the 32" doesn't have them (although I've heard conflicting reports that they fixed that issue on more recently produced LNS4051's).

Here's a list I found posted on AVS of notoriously laggy HDTVs:

Samsung
Samsung LN-S4051D LCD HDTV
Severe lag in 480i, 480p. Game Mode doesn't help much.

Samsung HLR-5087, 50" widescreen DLP
Lags even with DNIe off. Bad with 480i, 480p.

Samsung HL-R5064W 50" DLP HDTV
Gaming Mode doesn't help, horrible.

Samsung HLR5067WX/XAA 50" DLP
Serious lag with 480i, 480p no lag.

Samsung HL-P5085W DLP
Heavy lag on S-Video and Composite.

Samsung SP-46L6HX

Samsung DLP HDTV, Model #HLR5067WX/XAA Version:pW01

Samsung HL-S4266W
Even in 720p

Samsung 32" LCD TV LE32T51

Samsung HL-R6168W DLP
Very bad lag with component. Reduced with VGA.

Samsung DLP 5078 models

Samsung HL-S5086W
Very minimal lag with Gaming Mode.

Sharp
27" Sharp Aquos HDTV/HDMI
Lags in: Prey, Oblivion

Sanyo
Sanyo Vizon 26-inch

Westinghouse
Westinghouse LTV-27-w2 27'' LCD
16ms response time blurs, lags with standard RCA, no lag with component, even in 480i.

Polaroid
Polaroid FLM-323B 32"
Lags with the Dreamcast via Composite.

Sony
SONY KD-SR50XBR1

Dell
Dell 32 inch LCD (W3201C)

JVC
JVC AV-48WP74 48'' Rear-projection CRT

InFocus
InFocus 61'' DLP

Westinghouse W37W1 - 37" 1080p (!) Monitor.
DVI, VGA, Component, S-Video inputs.

$969 last time I checked Ecost. Its a refurb but its warrantied. 1000:1 contrast ratio. (Note that anything higher than this on an LCD panel is largely obtained through trickery. CR's of 1600:1 and such are really acheived by the set raising and lowering the brightness of the overall display to make dark scenes appear darker). Not as nice a CR as a Sony or other high-end set, but 1080p at 37" is nothing to sneeze at, when a 32" 720p set will run you nearly that much, or a new 37" with 768p is more expensive.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Westinghouse W37W1 - 37" 1080p (!) Monitor.
DVI, VGA, Component, S-Video inputs.

$969 last time I checked Ecost. Its a refurb but its warrantied. 1000:1 contrast ratio. (Note that anything higher than this on an LCD panel is largely obtained through trickery. CR's of 1600:1 and such are really acheived by the set raising and lowering the brightness of the overall display to make dark scenes appear darker). Not as nice a CR as a Sony or other high-end set, but 1080p at 37" is nothing to sneeze at, when a 32" 720p set will run you nearly that much, or a new 37" with 768p is more expensive.[/QUOTE]

Good price, but why make a 1080p TV and not include HDMI? Seems kind of silly, DVI or no.

I don't plan on buying a 1080p set anytime soon, as the only content that could potentially take advantage of it at this point is Blu-Ray or HD-DVD (and technically their associated video game platforms, even though developers for both Sony and Microsoft have said producing anything more complicated than Pong in 1080p is virtually impossible at this point) and neither of those formats are exactly burning up the sales charts right now. HDTV will not be broadcast higher than 1080i for the forseeable future. I think your best bet is to get a good 720p/1080i set right now and worry about 1080p in five years or so when there will actually be stuff to watch at that resolution.

Ask they sales rep if you could test the television out before you buy it.

Test the standard television readings like 2-13/2-55 on a regular anttena.
If the picture is not good to your liking do not buy it. For my I base this on my old TV set which was a Triton/Sony TV's since these was a good brand of TV at the time.

Run a VHS video to see if the video is effected. Do not buy if you see jaggys on the screen.

Check to see if the set has RGB, Composite Video, or even special hooks for a computer screen like DVI.

Check to see if you could run a PSX, N64, 360 or GCN using there special cables. If there is no difffreence do not buy.

In my book these are really Computer screens dumbed down to the buyers level. So I suggest buying a screen that is top qaulity but only delivers video and not sound. If you have a suround sound system which I guess you have then there is no need for sound coming out your TV. Then again thats my suggestion.

About sound look if the TV has any special outputs for sound.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']Ask they sales rep if you could test the television out before you buy it.

Test the standard television readings like 2-13/2-55 on a regular anttena.
If the picture is not good to your liking do not buy it. For my I base this on my old TV set which was a Triton/Sony TV's since these was a good brand of TV at the time.

Run a VHS video to see if the video is effected. Do not buy if you see jaggys on the screen.

Check to see if the set has RGB, Composite Video, or even special hooks for a computer screen like DVI.

Check to see if you could run a PSX, N64, 360 or GCN using there special cables. If there is no difffreence do not buy.

In my book these are really Computer screens dumbed down to the buyers level. So I suggest buying a screen that is top qaulity but only delivers video and not sound. If you have a suround sound system which I guess you have then there is no need for sound coming out your TV. Then again thats my suggestion.

About sound look if the TV has any special outputs for sound.[/QUOTE]

This was all good advice about 3-5 years ago, but a lot of it does not hold true today. Some of it sounds like advice specific to standard definition TVs. How a VCR looks on an HD set is going to have little bearing on what you'll be looking at, as 99% of the content you'll be watching on an HD set will be digital, not analog.

Because most HD sets now come with at least one internal HD tuner, you're not doing yourself any favors by looking for one without one (and a TV without speakers/sound will not have a built-in tuner). Since a significant amount of HD content is available over the air, you'd basically be locking yourself into using the monitor for gaming or as a PC monitor and nothing else, unless you've got a cable box/external tuner and sound system to connect it to (and it probably won't have a lot of connectors to facilitate such an arrangement).

Also, if you plan to use the TV for gaming, HDMI (or DVI at the very least) is virtually a necessity, as that's the connector of choice these days and will be going forward.

Before you blow a lot of money on a TV, check this out:

Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824232003
Buy.com: http://www.buy.com/prod/Niko_OTP_3211W_32_HD_Ready_LCDTV/q/loc/101/202032041.html

I bought one in May and couldn't be more happy with it for games, upscaled DVDs, and eved\n SD cable TV. Works great to use as a computer monitor too.

Here's the AVS thread on it as well:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647281&page=1&pp=30&highlight=niko

Pros:
- No ghosting whatsoever
- No delay for Composite / Svideo (played Guitar Hero, Donkey Konga, DDR on it with no issues)
- No noticable "screen lag" for games (it reported responce time isn't steallar, but I've not noticed a problem at all).

Cons to it, if stuff like this is really important to you:
- No HDMI jack (but it has a DVI jack, so a $4 cable from monoprice.com sends a beautiful image to it from my Panasonic up-scaling DVD player)
- No 1080p. I only have things that go up to 1080i, so no biggie to me, but could be for you I suppose.
- Terrible remote. I just got a $20 Sony universal from WalMart and programmed it, works perfectly.

Just want to tag this thread so that several months from now when I'm (hopefully) ready to start looking into getting a new LCD TV myself I can check back and use some of this excellent advice.

Electronic data ( Digital ) is just the Analog data ( Raw data form delivered continuesly sources ) encoded and then played back using a program on a piece of hardware.

If my television ( or whatever viewer ) is unable to view regular data ( waves, or anything unencoded onto a media type ) then my television is worthless.

HDMI is the equivalent only on a Hardware and program relationship where raw data in huge sizes ( 1000000Terras=RAW + Encoding(X) = 63400Gigs) that is then encoded into a lesser size that is near it's original form to give you an outcome that is as close to orignal as can be.

DVI is another way to get pretty colors and stuff here and there but there is various connectors.

Personally I will take a Flat screen with no sound and RGB connectors. HD is just another faster way to view bigger files and DVI might be worth it. Another question that I just realized is left unanswered.

Will the screen allow me to plkay Duck Hunt using My NES. Personally if the answer is no then I would buy a earlier flat screen that uses Tube technology.
Beta would be really good right about now:robot:

[quote name='RegalSin2020']Will the screen allow me to plkay Duck Hunt using My NES. Personally if the answer is no then I would buy a earlier flat screen that uses Tube technology.[/QUOTE]
No, only a Tube TV will work with traditional light guns. Also, for the best accuracy, one of the older curved-glass screens works best instead of the newer flat-glass CRTs. My roommate in college had a flat-screen CRT (Sony WEGA) and we couldn't get any sort of decent results with his NES. Moved the same system and zapper to a curved screen TV and it worked just fine.

Yes I had one of those a Triton SONY screen. I played everything on that up till I decided to move it and it feel apart in my hands. I was thinking about a flat screen that is based on tube screen tech while allowing you to use RGB. Most Sony screens a great now but in my case I want something that I could stick on the wall without any dorky holder or edges.

Even if it's curved as long as I can play games like House of the Dead and Virtua Cop then all is cool. Duck hunt would be the icing on the cake. Maybe something just wide enough to fit my Super Scope reciever on.

[quote name='Deadpool']For a $1000 get a damn rear projection tv if you have room for it. twice the screen size for the same cash.[/QUOTE]

Hell for $1300 you can get a 42" Samsung DLP.

I concur with the two above posts.

Have you seen any tvs in person OP? I thought I wanted an lcd until I went to BB and CC a few days ago. Now I'll probably get a DLP.

I kinda want an LCD just because I can mount it on my wall, but you are correct, the DLP's are a far better bargain. I think Amazon has a 56" Samsung DLP for about $1500 right now.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Well there you go it's a Samsung. Ok Let me clarify. Any Sony and Panasonic LCD looks better then any DLP.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Samsungs are generally pretty poor LCDs. I've got a 26" Bravia XBR and I wouldn't even consider DLPs an option now that I've seen that sonuvabitch.

Actually, right now for $899 (after the $100 rebate) you can get an Optoma HD72 720 DLP Front Projector...go as big as you want..100" diagonal...120" Diagonal.......

Its bright enough that you can use it in a room that isn't totally dark.

Its probably the ultimate HD bargain right now...just make sure you understand the limitations of front projectors, particularly how you can't turn them on and off like a Television without killing the bulbs.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Actually, right now for $899 (after the $100 rebate) you can get an Optoma HD72 720 DLP Front Projector...go as big as you want..100" diagonal...120" Diagonal.......

Its bright enough that you can use it in a room that isn't totally dark.

Its probably the ultimate HD bargain right now...just make sure you understand the limitations of front projectors, particularly how you can't turn them on and off like a Television without killing the bulbs.[/QUOTE]

Projectors are a good option, but really, I wouldn't consider them unless you have really, really good light control. Even with the bright ones, a dark room makes all the difference.

If you can control the light in the room, then it's a great option for a big fuckin' picture.

I sell tvs and appliances for a living, Samsung's 51 series is the best right now for the size you're looking for. Bottom line.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']Yes I had one of those a Triton SONY screen. I played everything on that up till I decided to move it and it feel apart in my hands. I was thinking about a flat screen that is based on tube screen tech while allowing you to use RGB. Most Sony screens a great now but in my case I want something that I could stick on the wall without any dorky holder or edges.

Even if it's curved as long as I can play games like House of the Dead and Virtua Cop then all is cool. Duck hunt would be the icing on the cake. Maybe something just wide enough to fit my Super Scope reciever on.[/QUOTE]

This is a cute discussion, but it really has little bearing on the OP's original request. Frankly, if your chief concern is "Can I play Duck Hunt on it?" you're probably not going to be buying a new TV anyway. :roll:

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']I concur with the two above posts.

Have you seen any tvs in person OP? I thought I wanted an lcd until I went to BB and CC a few days ago. Now I'll probably get a DLP.[/QUOTE]

DLPs have a great picture for the price, but they can be a very bad choice for use with video games. The technology they use makes them notorious for lag issues.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yes. Samsungs are generally pretty poor LCDs. I've got a 26" Bravia XBR and I wouldn't even consider DLPs an option now that I've seen that sonuvabitch.[/QUOTE]

Samsung LCDs use THE SAME PANEL as the Sony Bravia line, folks. I have the Samsung LNS3251 (the one recommended by alive741 above) and compared it to the Bravia when I was shopping. If you have both sets calibrated properly and using the same inputs, you're going to see little or no difference between them (except for the bigger price tag in the corner of the Sony).

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']I concur with the two above posts.

Have you seen any tvs in person OP? I thought I wanted an lcd until I went to BB and CC a few days ago. Now I'll probably get a DLP.[/QUOTE]

DLPs have a great picture for the price, but they can be a very bad choice for use with video games. The technology they use makes them notorious for lag issues.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yes. Samsungs are generally pretty poor LCDs. I've got a 26" Bravia XBR and I wouldn't even consider DLPs an option now that I've seen that sonuvabitch.[/QUOTE]

Samsung LCDs use THE SAME PANEL as the Sony Bravia line, folks.

Samsungs are actually some of the best LCDS on the market for the money and usaually will give you a similar or better picture than a lot of the Sony's for a lower price. That 26" Sony Bravia XBR has something like a 1200:1 contrast ratio while the 2651 Samsung is like 3000:1 for a similar price.

That said, LCDS in general are usually not that great for gaming on because of poorer refresh rates. They are improving, but still have a ways to go.

[quote name='Tybee']This is a cute discussion, but it really has little bearing on the OP's original request. Frankly, if your chief concern is "Can I play Duck Hunt on it?" you're probably not going to be buying a new TV anyway. :roll:

Samsung LCDs use THE SAME PANEL as the Sony Bravia line, folks. I have the Samsung LNS3251 (the one recommended by alive741 above) and compared it to the Bravia when I was shopping. If you have both sets calibrated properly and using the same inputs, you're going to see little or no difference between them (except for the bigger price tag in the corner of the Sony).[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Samsung MAKES the screens for Sony. They are an excellent LCD manufacturer.

I have a Sharp Aquos 32' LCD TV...Anyone know why it emits a constant humming sound?!? I have ruled out interference, as it has been all over the house. I have a call into sharp and they are sending someone out to replace the power supply. I was wonderng if anyone else had this issue.

I also have a Panasonic 32' LCD, and I notice that the blacks are extremly black when playing my 360, especially Perfect Dark Zero. Can anyone suggest sharpness/contrast/color settings that would be optimal?

Thanks!

bread's done
Back