Any fans of high-resolution audio on this site?

I never really understood this. Granted, I listen to stuff that sounds like it was recorded in a trashcan, but still, a normal CD sounds just fine to me.

High-resolution and high-fidelity... the resolution on DVD-A tends to range anywhere from 48kHz - 192kHz/channel.

SneakyPenguin: It's just a better listening experience.. to be able to surround and immerse yourself with the music. It's like hearing your favorites for the first time all over again.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm more of a headphone guy.[/QUOTE]

You can listen to high resolution audio through headphones.

I have a few SACDs and it's awesome, much MUCH clearer. Too bad it didn't really take off.

I have a few SACDs and DVD-As, but I never really bothered with the two formats, since I'm a vinyl guy. Nevertheless, my understanding is that SACD and DVD-A are basically vinyl-quality audio for techno-nerds, and I can definitely get behind that. It's a shame that one of the two formats hasn't become the new "compact disc" audio standard. If you think about it, there's really no good reason why DVD-A shouldn't be popular, other than the fact that 99% of the world is satisfied with Lady Gaga MP3s downloaded from iTunes. :roll:

I hold out hope, though.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I never really understood this. Granted, I listen to stuff that sounds like it was recorded in a trashcan, but still, a normal CD sounds just fine to me.[/QUOTE]

It's just another way to act like you're better than everyone else.

[quote name='keithp']You can listen to high resolution audio through headphones.

I have a few SACDs and it's awesome, much MUCH clearer. Too bad it didn't really take off.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure my Grado SR225's would benefit very much from it. FLAC is about as far as I bother to go.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']It's just another way to act like you're better than everyone else.[/QUOTE]

I guess those who watch Blu-Rays are just showin' off too huh?

I keep waiting for the multi-channel music scene to truly take off. I'm really hoping that with everyone going HD and so many with surround systems the music industry will take a hint and realize it's not just a niche market anymore.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm not sure my Grado SR225's would benefit very much from it. FLAC is about as far as I bother to go.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes you will benefit with those headphones. Especially with a well mastered high resolution audio title you'll hear a bit more clarity and detail compared to a typical 16/44 FLAC file.

By the way FLAC does support high resolution audio. I've encoded a number of my vinyl needledrops that are 24/96 to FLAC easily. :D

[quote name='SEH']...

I guess those who watch Blu-Rays are just showin' off too huh?[/QUOTE]

A better comparison would be Apple fans rather than Blu-Ray watchers. If you still don't get where I'm going with this, I can post a long, expletive-filled rant about how annoying audiophiles are, but I doubt my anecdotal evidence will do much to dissuade such people from raging over how 128kb AAC+ is so much better than 128kb FLAC or w/e the fuck it is you people talk about.

I like to listen to music that doesn't sound like it was recorded with muffle.So,yes I do like high quality audio.Need a new pair of cans though.Currently own a pair of Sennheiser e150 and I'm looking to upgrade to Sennheiser HD428.

My SACD/DVD-Audio/Dual Disc/DVD Surround/DTS CD list... *put in a spoiler tag since its a LONG list*

Ryan Adams - Gold (SACD)
Aerosmith - Oh Yeah The Ultimate Aerosmith (SACD 2 disc)
Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic (SACD)
The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach (SACD)
The Animals - Retrospective (SACD)
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (DVD-Audio)
The Beatles - Love (DVD-Audio)
Beck - Sea Change (SACD)
Bo Bice - The Real Thing (Dual Disc)
Michael Bolton - Greatest Hits (SACD)
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet (Dual Disc)
David Bowie - Scary Monsters (SACD)
Mariah Carey - 1's (SACD)
Chicago - V (DVD-Audio)
Eric Clapton - Slow Hand (SACD)
Natalie Cole - Ask A Woman Who Knows (SACD)
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (SACD)
Celine Dion - All The Way: A Decade Of Song (SACD)
Celine Dion - A New Day Has Come (SACD)
Sam Cooke - Portrait Of A Legend (SACD)
CCR - The Concert (SACD)
Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions (SACD)
Destiny's Chid - Destiny Fulfilled (Dual Disc)
Bob Dylan - Blond On Blond (SACD 2 disc)
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks (SACD)
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (SACD)
The Eagles - Hotel California (DVD-Audio)
Elvis - Number Ones (DVD-Audio)
Fleetwood Mac - Say You Will (DVD-Audio)
Foo Fighters - In Your Honour (DVD-Audio)
Peter Gabriel - Up (SACD)
Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love (SACD)
David Gilmour - On An Island (DTS/Dolby 5.1 on DVD, part of Live In Gdansk Boxset)
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters (SACD)
Herman's Hermits - Retrospective (SACD)
Michael Jackson - Thriller (SACD)
Billy Joel - The Stranger (SACD)
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (SACD)
Elton John - Elton John (SACD)
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection (SACD)
Elton John - Madman Across The Water (SACD)
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (SACD)
Journey - Escape (SACD)
B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding With The King (DVD-Audio)
Diana Krall - The Look Of Love (SACD)
Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room (SACD)
Los Lonley Boys - Los Lonley Boys (Dual Disc)
John Mayer - Room For Squares (SACD)
John Mayer - Heavier Things (SACD)
John Mayer - Heavier Things (Dual Disc)
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell (SACD second pressing with 5.1 mix)
Michael McDonald - Motown One (SACD)
Metallica - Metallica (DVD-Audio)
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (DVD-Audio)
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (SACD Deluxe)
Alan Parsons - A Valid Path (DVD-Audio)
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (SACD)
The Police - Outlandos D'Amour (SACD)
The Police - Regetta De Blanc (SACD)
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta (SACD)
The Police - Ghost In The Machine (SACD)
The Police - Synchronicity (SACD)
The Police - Live (SACD)
The Police - Every Breath You Take: The Classics (SACD)
The Police - Every Breath You Take: The Classics (DTS CD)
Queen - A Night At The Opera (DTS CD)
R.E.M. - Automatic For The People (DVD-Audio)
R.E.M. - The Best Of R.E.M. (DVD-Audio)
The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks (SACD 2 disc)
The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (SACD)
The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil Remixes (SACD)
Roxy Music - Avalon (SACD)
Rush - Snakes & Arrows (DVD-Audio)
Santana - Supernatural (DVD-Audio)
Seal - IV (DVD-Audio)
Bruce Springsteen - Devils & Dust (DVD-Audio)
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (DVD Surround)
Sting - ... Nothing Like The Sun (DTS CD)
Sting - Ten Summoners Tales (DTS CD)
Sting - Brand New Day (DTS CD)
Sting - Brand New Day (SACD)
Sting - Brand New Day (DVD-Audio)
Sting - Sacred Love (SACD)
Sting - Sacred Love (DVD-Audio)
3 Doors Down - Away From The Sun (SACD)
Titanic Soundtrack (SACD)
Train - Drops Of Jupiter (SACD)
Train - My Private Nation (SACD)
Roger Waters - Ca Ira (SACD with bonus making of DVD)
Roger Waters - In The Flesh (SACD 2 disc)
The Who - Tommy (SACD 2 disc)
The Who - My Generation (SACD)
"Weird Al" Yankovic - Straight Outta Lynwood (Dual Disc)
Yes - Fragile (DVD-Audio)
Yes - Magnification (DVD-Audio)
The Zombies - Greatest Hits (SACD)
Various Artists - Sony Classical Sampler (SACD)
Various Artists - Rolling Stones Magazine Top 500 Sampler (SACD)

Yes that is me on the Steve Hoffman forums. I'm going to wait until there's some reviews on those SHM-SACD's before if I jump at them or not. No need to spend money on them without knowing before hand if they are worth the money.

You're probably right but I already went ahead and pre-ordered Who's Next from cdjapan. I figured.. even if it does turn out to be sub-standard (how could it though really.. it's not like there are any amazing mixes of Who's Next currently out there) I'd still want a copy just to have a piece of music history. If they do turn out to be good (I have a good feeling about these), I'll probably pick some more up. Aja sounds like it would be worth it.. possibly a few others.

Any opinion on MVI packages? Linkin Park, Rush, and Avenged Sevenfold have them.

You guys have Fragile but not Close to the Edge?

The fuck.

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media. I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.

[quote name='naes']You guys have Fragile but not Close to the Edge?[/QUOTE]

The only two Yes albums that got released on any high resolution formats are Fragile and Magnification which are on DVD-Audio. I own the rest of the Yes library on CD and vinyl.

yesdvda.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PhrostByte']You're probably right but I already went ahead and pre-ordered Who's Next from cdjapan. I figured.. even if it does turn out to be sub-standard (how could it though really.. it's not like there are any amazing mixes of Who's Next currently out there) I'd still want a copy just to have a piece of music history. If they do turn out to be good (I have a good feeling about these), I'll probably pick some more up. Aja sounds like it would be worth it.. possibly a few others.[/quote]

Find the Steve Hoffman mastered MCA disc for Who's Next. Its fantastic sounding plus its very common to find.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/discography/MCA/4329

Any opinion on MVI packages? Linkin Park, Rush, and Avenged Sevenfold have them.

The Rush one for Snakes And Arrows is pretty decent. From what I recall the 5.1 mix is only in Dolby Digital however but its been a good deal of time since I've played it.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Find the Steve Hoffman mastered MCA disc for Who's Next. Its fantastic sounding plus its very common to find.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/discography/MCA/4329

The Rush one for Snakes And Arrows is pretty decent. From what I recall the 5.1 mix is only in Dolby Digital however but its been a good deal of time since I've played it.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know Steve Hoffman did a mix. Still getting the SHM-SACD mix though.. just too cool to pass up. I mean the acronym has the word Super tiwce! :lol:

Might get the Steve Hoffman mix to compare though.

Well actually he just did the mastering for that particular CD edition which is using the original mixes for the entire album. Only the 1995 Jon Astley remaster of Who's Next has used newer remixes for half the album (Baba O'Riley, Love Ain't For Keeping, My Wife, Going Mobile, Behind Blue Eyes). The other songs on the album are taken from a master mixdown tape since the multi tracks are missing for those. The funny thing however is that the multi tracks for Won't Get Fooled Again have been found not too long after the 1995 remixing was done which is why it got included on the Rock Band DLC.

Yes it is pete. Yes it is.

Demo: Wow, I didn't know all that. You seem to be highly knowledgeable in the area. I bet you never heard about this though:

I saw you don't have a copy of Ludacris - Chicken-N-Beer SACD. You should check it out if you get a chance it's surprisingly good. Also, he planned to have released "Theater of the Mind" in both DVD and Blu-Ray under Monster Music's SuperDisc High Definition Surround (HDS) format. Unfortunately... it hasn't seen the light of day, but I guess it might too early to completely rule it out. I'm still crossing my fingers.

http://www.slashgear.com/slashgear-...sters-noel-lee-hd-surround-interview-0729236/

That sounds like the on again off again release of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here on SACD. Allegedly the 5.1 mix has been completed several years ago by James Guthrie who also did the 5.1 mix for The Dark Side Of The Moon on SACD. However its yet to see the light of day. My hunch is that it'll get released on DVD and Blu-Ray along with a re-release of the Dark Side 5.1 mix as well.

Personally I'm hoping for a 5.1 mix for Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Animals, and The Final Cut along with Roger Waters The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking and Amused To Death. The Wall already has a 5.1 mix on the DVD release of the film - and allegedly that its being redone again for the impending Blu-Ray release.

I heard a fan mix of Wish You Were Here (by kap'n krunch) which was pretty good. I would absolutely love an SACD mix... or, if this SHM-SACD thing turns out to be any good, that would be even better.

Speaking of which.. what version of The Wall DVD would you recommend? Is the latest good?

[quote name='PhrostByte']I heard a fan mix of Wish You Were Here (by kap'n krunch) which was pretty good. I would absolutely love an SACD mix... or, if this SHM-SACD thing turns out to be any good, that would be even better.[/quote]

More than likely you are listening to the quadraphonic mix taken from either an 8-Track or vinyl record. The quadraphonic mix is fantastic and still holds up very well today.

Speaking of which.. what version of The Wall DVD would you recommend? Is the latest good?

There has only been one release of The Wall on DVD. The only difference is the change of DVD case packaging but otherwise its the same disc.

Ah. OK. I thought the latest one (2005?) might have had some bonus contact.

And yes, the DVD-A kap'n krunch put together was made from the quads.

What's the difference between this high-res audio to the other stuff such as mp3 exactly? Louder music?

I like quality stuff but I just can't see (or hear, hyuk) the difference.

The average person can't tell the difference between MP3s and CD quality, much less high-fidelity.

The only person I know that can tell the difference is working on his PhD. in music.

Well, I can definitely tell the difference.. especially when you have music coming out of only the back speakers, and not the front. Discrete surround sound music in particular is a pleasure of mine.. it's done two ways. The old way is to use old quad mixes and remix them to 5.1, and obviously the new way is just to issue your music natively in 5.1. The mixing itself is art in my eyes. Just the way it's all put together, the tricks and gimmicks used really amaze me... the way the surround package is produced can either enhance the music to a dimension you've never imagined before possible, or can complete destroy something that was once great.

If you guys by any chance have a surround sound system and an old PS3.. do yourself a favor and pick up the Dark Side of the Moon 30th anniversary SACD and check out the 5.1 mix.

If you have a sound setup that's not a piece of shit, you can tell the difference between an mp3 and a CD easily... especially considering how many mp3s still tend to be 128kbps.

I've got a good pair of Sennheiser cans and I can clearly hear the difference between an MP3 and a FLAC file. It's like night and day as far as quality goes. If you're listening on Dollar Tree earbuds, of course both will sound like crap.

[quote name='glemtvapen']So the difference can be noticed more on a surround sound system?
Hmmm... :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

In my opinion.. that's kinda the point. Sure, I buy high-resolution stereo sometimes.. but I prefer multichannel 99 times out of a 100. I'm planning on buying the Who's Next stereo SHM-SACD coming out in August... if only it were multichannel. :[

[quote name='PhrostByte']In my opinion.. that's kinda the point. Sure, I buy high-resolution stereo sometimes.. but I prefer multichannel 99 times out of a 100. I'm planning on buying the Who's Next stereo SHM-SACD coming out in August... if only it were multichannel. :[[/QUOTE]

Sadly as I noted early in this very topic some of the song's multi tracks are missing. Trust me Who's Next would make one excellent 5.1 mix indeed.

[quote name='Chacrana']If you have a sound setup that's not a piece of shit, you can tell the difference between an mp3 and a CD easily... especially considering how many mp3s still tend to be 128kbps.[/QUOTE]

If anybody is using 128 kbps mp3s they shouldn't be listening to music anyway

[quote name='Demolition Man']Sadly as I noted early in this very topic some of the song's multi tracks are missing. Trust me Who's Next would make one excellent 5.1 mix indeed.[/QUOTE]

Yea.. I didn't forget about you Demo Man ;)

I was just saying.. it would be nice if we COULD get something like that done. Hey... while I have your attention... what's the deal with that Black Sabbath - War Pigs Deluxe Edition? 2 CD's and 1 DVD-Video with DTS/DD mixes? Is that really the best mix of that available? Seems like a huge waste... if the quad reels are any good they could have put out one amazing SACD/DVD-Audio. :(

bread's done
Back