Any good arcades in Orlando Florida?

BirdofTruth

CAG Veteran
High guys I just moved to Kissimmee and Im wondering if Orlando has any good Arcades / video game tournaments...I remember seeing soemthing in Tips and Tricks awhile back when they had the Tournament report that there was a MVC 2 tournament in Kissimmee. But if there is whats the Best Arcade, I remember Pac man Cafe but they closed down like 4 months ago...A sad day for pac man

I haven't been in forever, but there's an arcade on Semoran in the Casselbery/Altamonte area called Rocky's Replay. At that time it was very alive and well and had several new deluxe games, including a pair of linked, motion-base F-Zero AX's. One thing to be aware of is that it tends to be smokey there.

When I was in Orlando for my Honeymoon in January we had lunch at the Pac-man Cafe on International Drive it was down at the end of the Drive by the Wonderworks Building, and they had a very nice arcade on the 3rd floor of the Cafe.

They had F-zero AX? oh hells yea that game was awsome.
Damn I just checked, thats an hour away from me, do you suppose disney has a good arcade?
or is it all kiddy games?

oh yea that place, I went there 5 years ago but they didnt have too much stuff. My Dad tells me he knows someone who can get me in there 4 free so I might go soon.

I haven't been to DisneyQuest in several years. When it first opened, it was super state of the art. Unfortunately, because of the nature of the attraction, the "rides" may no longer be as futuristic as they once were. They tend to be virtual reality/immersion rides with lots of physical involvement. Who knows if/when they'll update them, but they're still good after all this time, especially since they tend to service out-of-town visitors instead of "regulars" who'll get tired after not too long.

As for actual arcade games. The selection really shows its age. That's really all that needs to be said about that. They have a pretty good selection of vintage games, though. I think the newest game they had when I went was OutRun2, which was pretty surprising. The 8-player Daytona USA setup is really nice, but it's not the motion-base ones that they used to have at EPCOT. One noticable omission were shooting games. They used to have them (used to have a set of big-screen Time Crisis 2's), but being Disney, I can understand why they've been removed. If you're a DDR person, you'd think unlimited play would be great, but not if you have to play on DDR USA Mix 1, the absolute worst version released. Hell, Disney Rave is awesome, but for some reason they don't even have that mix there!

It might be worth it if you're going with a group of friends to check out the nice "rides", but otherwise, don't go there is you just want to play arcade games.

"Rockys Replay is awesome. I live right down the street from it!"

You bastard! Im an hour away...anyway can you tell me if they Got Mario Kart Arcade GP...if not what other games they got?

EDIT: I bet you go to either Full Sail or UCF dont you?

[quote name='BirdofTruth']"Rockys Replay is awesome. I live right down the street from it!"

You bastard! Im an hour away...anyway can you tell me if they Got Mario Kart Arcade GP...if not what other games they got?

EDIT: I bet you go to either Full Sail or UCF dont you?[/QUOTE]
They don't have Mario Kart, unfortunately. They have Time Crisis 2 and 3, Inital D ver. 3, and well, there are too many to list. And yes, I go to Full Sail.

I thought Full sail has their own arcade that is free to an student

actually to be more specific, Building 4 I believe...the one across from those shitty looking indoor Full sail Offices that look like converted apartments

[quote name='BirdofTruth']I thought Full sail has their own arcade that is free to an student

actually to be more specific, Building 4 I believe...the one across from those shitty looking indoor Full sail Offices that look like converted apartments[/QUOTE]
They do, but some of the machines are broken right now.

[quote name='BirdofTruth']oh I see, anyway what are you going majoring in at Full Sail, I heard it is really expensive[/QUOTE]
Game Design and Development. It's pretty damn expensive, I'm paying $62,000.

EDIT: You can download a cool student project here. http://litteratus.net/ It's in the download section.

oh shit that is. I can see why youre a Cheap ass Gamer haha well I plan on useing my Bright Future Scholarship (a florida scholorship you get for any in-state college which gives you 100% tuition aslong as it's public) for UCF on BS Computer science, maybe it's just the audio department but my brother had 3 friends go major in Sound and one of them does sound for a church, one is a Photo lab manager for Walmart, and the other is still looking for a job...so they didnt do to good on employment rate, is the video game depatment differint?

edit: those three went to Fullsail, just had to specify

Damn 104MB they should of used WInrar to compress it, however Im downloading it right now

[quote name='BirdofTruth']oh shit that is. I can see why youre a Cheap ass Gamer haha well I plan on useing my Bright Future Scholarship (a florida scholorship you get for any in-state college which gives you 100% tuition aslong as it's public) for UCF on BS Computer science, maybe it's just the audio department but my brother had 3 friends go major in Sound and one of them does sound for a church, one is a Photo lab manager for Walmart, and the other is still looking for a job...so they didnt do to good on employment rate, is the video game depatment differint?

edit: those three went to Fullsail, just had to specify

Damn 104MB they should of used WInrar to compress it, however Im downloading it right now[/QUOTE]
From what I'm told, it's all about the amount of effort you put into it. The worst job I've heard a game student get was Quality Assurance at EA.

I played the game, I can tell their was alot of codeing for the physics of the ball, it's pretty cool game. Obviously I dont expect it to have a million polygons like the picture I created in MAYA, Im trying to be a programmar but just getting a taste of everything...does basically everyone from Full sail go to EA becaue of ther Orlando Office?

[quote name='BirdofTruth']I played the game, I can tell their was alot of codeing for the physics of the ball, it's pretty cool game. Obviously I dont expect it to have a million polygons like the picture I created in MAYA, Im trying to be a programmar but just getting a taste of everything...does basically everyone from Full sail go to EA becaue of ther Orlando Office?[/QUOTE]
No, some do though.

In the Disney Contemporary hotel, they have a nice arcade. Lots of games I rarely see anywhere else (but then again I live in an area where arcades are non existant).

[quote name='dafunkk12'] If you're a DDR person, you'd think unlimited play would be great, but not if you have to play on DDR USA Mix 1, the absolute worst version released. Hell, Disney Rave is awesome, but for some reason they don't even have that mix there!
[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think they did upgrade to DDR Extreme but once they saw one of the songs on that mix was Little Bitch, they got rid of it because it's a family friendly place and got back the US First Mix. The same problem happened at Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ. They went from 3rd mix to 4 brand new DDR Extreme machines. Some mother saw that was a selectable song, complained and Great Adventure got rid of all their DDR machines and replaced it with a 1 Pump It Up machine (which has worse language than DDR in some songs). They did get back the machines last year though.

The machine in the area I like is DDR USA at MGM. It's an old mix but it has some songs you just can't play in the arcades anymore because most arcades upgraded to Extreme.

Very cool! I grew up in Orlando and spent many a high school lunch over at Rocky's Replay! Good to know its still kickin!

Right now I'm working on a Digital Media, Internet & Interactive Systems (aka video games) degree at UCF. The best advice I've heard is when you graduate, move as far away from Orlando as possible. The DM job market is saturated thanks to the several schools in the area outputting students with that particular skill-set.

[quote name='dafunkk12']Right now I'm working on a Digital Media, Internet & Interactive Systems (aka video games) degree at UCF. The best advice I've heard is when you graduate, move as far away from Orlando as possible. The DM job market is saturated thanks to the several schools in the area outputting students with that particular skill-set.[/QUOTE]

Are you at FIEA? the place you go after you get your Comp science degree (at UCF) for video games?:-({|=

[quote name='BirdofTruth']Are you at FIEA? the place you go after you get your Comp science degree (at UCF) for video games?:-({|=[/QUOTE]
That's actually a seperate program from UCF. (Technically it's a joint effort with EA and UCF.) (And DM isn't under Computer Science, it's under the Arts college.) I'm not sure about the details, but right now there's no Masters program for DM, but I think they're starting one up. I'm pretty sure you can go into FIEA without any prior degrees. I think they now give an actual degree instead of a certificate. For my magazine writing class, I interviewed one of my teachers who's very high up in the hierarchy, and I asked him what he thought about FIEA. (He asked that what he said about it would be off the record, so I won't name names.) He's disappointed that they're only training people to make video games instead of branching out into other developing forms of "interactive entertainment." (We've got some crazy cutting-edge stuff brewing here at this school.)

EDIT: I also don't see anywhere I whine that deserves a violin. What's that about?

DisneyQuest and the Tomorrowland Light and Power Company (the Space Mountain arcade) are both great, as mentioned, and DisneyQuest is a particularly good deal with the year-long pass.

There's an arcade inside Universal's CityWalk that's supposed to be really top-notch, but I've never been.

On Del Verde Way, which is just off International Drive in the Southwest part of town, I believe, there's a big amusement center called Fun-Spot, which has a 10,000 foot arcade and four bad-ass, mostly elevated go-kart courses.

Side note, if you ever happen to stay at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort, they have a couple very small arcades there. :) And really, they're just little shacks, no more than a 15 machines or so. There's one next one of the pools, that I played at when I was way younger. They had Starblade and WaveRunner and a bunch of good stuff. Good memories. :)

It's too bad the Pac-Man Cafe closed down. It wasn't always the Pac-Man Cafe, and it wasn't always run by Namco. When it first opened, it was called XS Orlando. I never went, but my dad went not long after it opened, and he just raved about it. It was this really, really high-tech nightclub/arcade combo, really over-the-top with the tech, he told me. Shame; guess I'll never get to go.

I went to Rockys Replay a couple times back when I was going to Full Sail. That place will give you lung cancer after a few long nights there. If you don't mind that, it has some pretty sweet games. It's 4 blocks or so down from Full Sail, I think on Golderod st.

I think theres another one next to a local mall, I never went though.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's too bad the Pac-Man Cafe closed down. It wasn't always the Pac-Man Cafe, and it wasn't always run by Namco. When it first opened, it was called XS Orlando. I never went, but my dad went not long after it opened, and he just raved about it. It was this really, really high-tech nightclub/arcade combo, really over-the-top with the tech, he told me. Shame; guess I'll never get to go.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh...if it was anything like XS was in NYC the outside was pretty much all flash and the inside was staggeringly disappointing. It was nice to see that they had some recent games and whatnot but the overly high prices combined with absolutely poor quality cabinets (half of the cabinets were beat up, more than a third of the cabinets had screens obviously suffering from burnt-in images, bleeding colors and overly washed out visuals), and the floor space wasn't used in a great way. It was nice that they had laser tag and all but the bar area was relegated to the second floor right next to a thin walkway and a banister and there was around three, four tables max spread across the very minimal area on the second floor so you could actually sit and drink. Very disappointing.

It was overly sad, mostly because I can walk to any Jillians (well, now Dave & Busters) on LI and see them crammed with high school students through late 20-somethings from mid-afternoon to close on the weekends. Maybe if XS had a better floor plan, an expanded bar section that didn't simply feel like an add-on, and maybe an ambiance that didn't scream "cheap dive 80's arcade" it could have done a bit better.

Is there still an arcade at the Fashion Square Mall on the second floor with the food court?

Speaking of Full Sail, I think that place is full of shit. My brother and about 5 of his friends got degrees there about 3 or 4 years ago and none of them have found a job. They are all just working jobs at like UPS and other similar places. I also know plenty of others who I have met in my classes who are Full Sail graduates and went back to school to get another degree.

"

Is there still an arcade at the Fashion Square Mall on the second floor with the food court?

Speaking of Full Sail, I think that place is full of shit. My brother and about 5 of his friends got degrees there about 3 or 4 years ago and none of them have found a job. They are all just working jobs at like UPS and other similar places. I also know plenty of others who I have met in my classes who are Full Sail graduates and went back to school to get another degree."

Yea I was just playin the Violin cause I like that Emoticon, anyway, yea I got 3 friends with Audio degree working low paid jobs. Im gonna go to FIEA once I get a Comp science

Oh and in regard to XxFury2Xx There is still an arcade there, they have Virtual On Mars and that is there best game (well unless you like Tekken or MVC 2) :joystick:

bread's done
Back