any HR or hiring managers here?

homeland

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
I' recently got out of the military and after enjoying unemployment for a little bit, I am starting to look for new employment. I'm not looking for anything crazy, just entry level admin job to get my foot in the door to a company, or state/federal agency. What are some tips on the resume. Words to use, not use? My wife and I have been looking online and there seems to be a million answers when it comes to this subject. We are just looking for advice from a real person. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

At this point, you really need friends that can vouch for you, more than anything. There's tons of unemployed people that'll be looking for work alongside you.

So my advice is to see if any friends / family can help you.

I am in the Air Force and my separation date is April 9th. My terminal leave starts March 3rd. I am in the same boat. I've applied for a thousand jobs but in the end it was someone I knew that got me the interview I am currently in Tulsa, OK for. You need to ask all your friends if they have family that work for companies that are looking to hire. It is crazy how much name dropping really helps in the process. I have gone over my resume many times and I think that it is pretty good in its current form. I have found that no one gives a shit about the unwritten "one page rule." My resume is a little more than 2 pages and I have received no negative feedback/comments about its length.

What branch of the service were you in? What was your job (afsc/mos/etc)? Did you complete any college while in the service? Did you have a security clearance? Did you receive any awards/medals?

Concise statements - leave out the first person "I"

Use active, bold verbs, "coordinated", "developed", "trained"..

One page rule is correct, keep fonts under 12 pt., include full name, phone number, email address.

What the person a few posts above me said about utilizing your network is very true, especially now. Talk to friends, family, past employers..

You should have many professional people look at your resume. I've seen some horrible resumes and the people who submit them never get a job.

[quote name='Xevious']You should have many professional people look at your resume. I've seen some horrible resumes and the people who submit them never get a job.[/quote]

Yeah...also ask friends for their resumes and take the good and leave the bad. It is much easier to look at someone else's resume and point out what you don't like and make similar changes than it is to just look at yours and make it better.

I personally despise the traditional resume format. The problem is that the first thing that the hiring manager sees is where you've worked, which is usually useless and irrelevant unless it says CIA, Lockheed Martin, MTV, or something else along those lines.

I very much prefer a combination of the traditional and functional format, because although the fucntional format starts off similarly to the traditional format (the reader will probably still only see your current/previous employers first), it quickly branches into what the hiring manager wants to see---your skills, and what category they fall under, so he/she can quickly determine if you are even fit for the position.

I would also agree that two pages is fine, as long as you're not already using a tight template and small font.

bread's done
Back