Any kind gentlemen care to help me pick out a laptop?

Forest Mercenary

CAGiversary!
Long story short, I'm a high school student, with a pretty respectable income, and money's been burning a hole in my pocket :D So, I started considering buying a notebook computer, if the right deal came along.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=873593&sid=dfaea280ac3fb3b21006aefec1cc58d0

Well, this deal is perfect. I know very little about computers, and will not be using my notebook for games, unless a deal warrants it. Anyway, my main priority is that the notebook is up-to-date, and will not "age" in a couple years.

I'd like this computer to have lots of memory, and most importantly be fast enough for me to multi-task, and run multiple programs together. I am basically looking for the best deal that will offer the most for my buck.

Thanks in advance.

Are you a chick? Just wondering, the way the title sounds.

By the way, first tell me if you plan on traveling alot with it. If so I recommend a centrino processor laptop. If mostly at home, then a pentium 4 would be good. I can go on and on in more detail too.

Deciding on whether you'll be travelling with it a lot is a big factor. Battery life can really into the CPUs based for desktops.

I'd go with a Compaq Presario. As much as I hate Compaq desktops, their Presario's are fucking amazing for the price. (Usually you can get about 400 off at circuit city or best buy)

if you have the money go with an ibook, (but they are overpriced but well worth it)

umm theres a nice build to order deal going on at office deopt right now for an amd laptop, just looking for it on slickdeals.net or fatwallet.com, and get the upgrades cuz they are well worth it and you get a very decent lap top for like 700

i've been looking around wal mart and places and my sister recently bought a HP and its been working for her alright.. i think she paid roughly 800 and it came with 256 RAM but could easily be upped to 512.. it all depends of prefrence.. i'm sure online you could get a pretty good one for 500.. but if you want one that will not age (i wouldn't look at anything under 512 RAM and an Athalon 64 bit chip... and atleast 2.5 ghz processer speed..and a DVD Burner.) so thats probably going to up your intitial cost to about 1000-1200 ballpark.. but i'd go with a brand you can trust (my HP desktop works, Compaqs LTs are alright... i wish i could get an Ibook)

good luck
Rob

[quote name='Forest Mercenary']Anyway, my main priority is that the notebook is up-to-date, and will not "age" in a couple years.[/quote]
There is no such thing. Futureproofing a computer is mainly just a mental comfort but in reality isn't practical.

Nevertheless, your budget is mainly the real talk of discussion here. I'd suggest the P4 (since Dell doesn't sell AMD--I recommend AMD over Intel), with at least 512MB memory. This will outlast the Celeron in terms of multitasking. Basically a high-end laptop right now is all you can hope for to last a few years. Assuming, of course, you're putting Windows on it. But, this is rather moot without a set budget.

Good maintenance is what I seriously recommend to keep it in good working condition.

Although it's more expensive, I suggest looking into an IBM. I have a T42, and I'm very pleased. It's light enough to carry around, but the screen is also big enough to be very clear. It's got everything I need, and the support is awesome. I think if you're going to get a PC, an IBM is the best option. The only problem is the price. I got mine through my college's computer store for $1800, but it would have cost $2500 had I bought it from IBM. If you've got the cash, it's worth it.

Do you prefer Mac over PC? If you like Macs, keep an eye on this site for used/new deals... http://www.dealmac.com

If you want PC look for the rebates and buy your memory and accessories after market...you'll get more bang for your buck imo.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout'][quote name='kraid']Are you a chick? Just wondering, the way the title sounds.

[/quote]

you're not alone, that was my initial reaction as well[/quote]

Not likely, Forest Mercenary is his screename. I doubt a girl would ever come with that. Before anyone says anything I think I shall explain, you see a woman's brain is different from that of a man. For instance, while men predominantly use their prefrontal cortex to process emotion women use their amygdala. That is why women are sentimental creatures. Nothing with it. Another fact is that married men are genrally happier than single men, doesn't matter if the marriage is good or bad. (Still won't marry.) While married women are happier than single women only if the marriage isn't on the rocks. For this and other reasons Forest is a dude. I'll bet my PSP on it.

Not female, and if it bothers someone, I will change the topic title to something burly - that was thefirst thing that came to mind, so I stuck with it.

Anyway, please elaborate on the traveling part - why would one processor be better than another? I will not do a lot of traveling, but I will definitely take it places, including some flights, or vacation.

Also, I should clarify something. Considering how little space I use on my current PC, I assume I won't need it for my notebook either. My main priority is speed, and being able to run multiple programs. Something like multiple poker programs, and play at multiple tables at once, while talking on AIM, and listening to music, would be what I would like my computer to handle (my current comp cannot, although I hardly ever need to run more than two programs at once).

EDIT - Okay after reading the whole topic, choosing a computer looks to be very difficult. A friend said that the Apple G4 was the best comp. for the money, but he's also a musician, and a big reason for him was because the memory is really big, so it can hold thousands of songs.

Can any of you guys agree on one brand/style for me? I have never tried an Apple, and as I said previously, I am a computer novice.

Also, the coupon in my initial post is for Dell - can anyone at least guide me in a direction for what I should be looking for if I were to use either of the coupons? And lastly, I most likely will not upgrade my computer.

Once again, Thank you.

For a 'novice', an Apple might well be the best for you. It's simple, fast and has a nice GUI. But to be honest I know nothing of the processors of Macs these days.

If your main priority is speed and ease of multitasking, the more RAM the better.

If you don't know much about computers, the best thing you can do is read. I'd read mainly forums and computer hardware sites, not necessarily Google, where you'll find outdated articles for old generations' hardware.

I highly suggest any of the Apple laptops. I've had my powerbook G4 for about 2 years now and have never had any problems. (besides barely missing the system requirements for World of Warcraft :evil:)

I make beats myself, so I use my Powerbook for mixing and final touches. It handles multiple programs damn well.
I also have not gotten any spyware or a SINGLE virus on this mac. Bottom line, if you plan on gaming get a PC, If you need to do some essays and browse the net get a MAC.

I'll be happy to help, I did this for other CAGs when Dell ran a $750 off $1500 or more coupon.

Do me one favor and PM me the following info:

1) How much you'll want to spend on it.
2) What your primary needs will be for it.
3) How often you'll travel with it, or be away from a wall socket.
4) How long you think you'll hold onto it for before you'd get another one.

Instead of giving you a suggestion I will just tell you what I got and how much I love it because everyone seems to be making suggestions without any facts or reasons.

I got myself a Dell Inspiron 8600 during one of the notebook deals. It is fully loaded with WUXGA Screen (1920x1200), Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, DVD/CD Burner, 512MB RAM, Big Hard Drive, Wireless/Bluetooth, and 1.7Ghz Pentium M (I guess you can say Centrino, although Centrino does not refer to the processor specifically).

I love this machine. It weighs ~ 7lbs and since it is my only computer and for what I use it for (development, games, everything!) I do not consider it too big or heavy. However, if it was any bigger I would be upset because it is on that fringe of tolerable and overkill for size and weight. I carry it everywhere I go without problems. Including school every day.

In addition, because I got such a good deal. I added the 3 year warranty and the 3 years of Complete Care. This way if I drop or spill anything on my computer Dell will fix it. Highly Highly Highly Recommended!

Also, for a bag I again Highly Highly Highly Recommend you consider an Osprey Backpack for whatever laptop you end up with no matter what. I have had $300 Brenthaven bags, Timbuk2 bags, Targus Bags, and now the Osprey Focus. By far and away the Osprey is the best bag of them all. No questions asked. It is a backpack and I use it for school. Again, it gets my highest regards no matter what laptop you chose.

If anyone is actually interested in purchasing an osprey and do not have a dealer by them, PM me I might be able to help you out. I have no offiliation with them, just found the perfect bag and love it.

Oh, with including the warranty + complete care I paid barely $1400 after $800+ off.

My mom got an inspiron 600m. Which is slightly smaller then the 8600 and she just loves her machine too! She got it for ~ same price with the same warranty and complete care.

Hope that helps.

Chris

[quote name='MorPhiend']Listen to shrike. The man knows his stuff. I did, and I am very happy with what I ended up getting. :D[/quote]

Did I end up giving you help on a laptop, MorPhiend? That was so damn long ago, I've forgotten. :dunce:

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='MorPhiend']Listen to shrike. The man knows his stuff. I did, and I am very happy with what I ended up getting. :D[/quote]

Did I end up giving you help on a laptop, MorPhiend? That was so damn long ago, I've forgotten. :dunce:[/quote]

Yeah. I missed out on, I think, the 9100 (or something). They had "sold out" of them. So I was trying to decide between a less than adequate (for gaming and such) 8100 and the XPS notebook. This is what I ended up buying:

Inspiron XPS, Pentium 4, 3.4GHz w/ HT, 15.4 WUXGA
1GB DDR 400MHz 2 DIMMs
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2
24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Dell Wireless 1450 DualBand (802.11a/b/g) Internal Wireless
96 WHr 12 Cell Primary Battery with Subwoofer
Exclusive Inspiron XPS BackPack
SKULLZ QuickSnap Cover for Inspiron XPS
WHr 16-cell Secondary Battery for XPS
$49 SHIPPING MAIL-IN REBATE

:D

That was before we knew each other (it was my first dealings with you, actually).

Please god don't get a Mac.

That is unless you like not having the ability to use 90% of the programs available to you one PCs.

I'm looking for a laptop myself. Methinks I'll keep an eye on this thread.....

Anyone have any experience with this beast:

www.qosmio.com

?

Looks pretty cool to me.....but pricey :(

[quote name='Gameboy415']Please god don't get a Mac.

That is unless you like not having the ability to use 90% of the programs available to you one PCs.

I'm looking for a laptop myself. Methinks I'll keep an eye on this thread.....

Anyone have any experience with this beast:

www.qosmio.com

?

Looks pretty cool to me.....but pricey :([/quote]

That's a complete moronic attitude. Think before you open your hole. If you look and see if "Program X" isn't on the Mac, maybe there's "Program Y", which just does the same thing. If you really need PC emulation, you can do it through Virtual PC, albeit slowly.

If you need a specific program, then get the platform that runs it. If you don't have a specific program, take a look around at all the options.

bread's done
Back