Any Neo Geo Fans?

Preorders for Neo XYX open for both US and JP versions from NG DEV, total production limited to 150 copies.

US version

nx_aes_eng.jpg

JP version

nx_aes_jpn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The extent of my Neo Geo experience starts and ends with the Pocket Color with Sonic Pocket Adventure. At the time I was saving up for another game but Neo Geo went under and all games in my area were sent back so I never got to buy another game for it.  I still have it today but still haven't bought any different games.

Just an update from NG DEV Team that they will accept pre-orders for LHPB AES.
I'm always amazed at what these fan teams are capable of. Hopefully the expansion of affordable, efficient tools will make it possible for more and more enthusiasts to take part in such hobbies. Some of the recent developments in 3D printing are going to make it possible for hobbyists to design and produce their own plastic cartridges soon.

I'm always amazed at what these fan teams are capable of. Hopefully the expansion of affordable, efficient tools will make it possible for more and more enthusiasts to take part in such hobbies. Some of the recent developments in 3D printing are going to make it possible for hobbyists to design and produce their own plastic cartridges soon.
On the flip side, advancements like this are potentially damaging to the community/fans of legitimate carts. Bootlegs are getting surprisingly close (if not exact) to official carts.

It's why I've never jumped into AES (NGH) territory. Official games are too pricey and the bootlegs are so prevalent. :/

Bootlegs are getting surprisingly close (if not exact) to official carts.
Mass-produced bootlegs aren't produced using home-brew 3D printers. It wouldn't be cost-effective to use that method. Personal 3D printing is much more suited to custom production of very limited runs. This makes it ideal for custom cartridges for home-brew titles on classic systems. For mass-produced versions you would need to go through a more traditional factory system.

I'm personally interested in using such technology to produce custom 3D-sculpted cartridges for specific games. There was a lot of extra extraneous plastic in US NES carts. A lot of it could be used to produce some kick-ass custom sculpture to take the place of the labels. It would also make it possible to print replacement custom parts for damaged classic systems. Imagine being able to replace the yellowing plastic components from your SNES.

Bottom line, it's unlikely that personal 3D printing is going to result in mass-produced knock-offs. It's just not cost effective.

Mass-produced bootlegs aren't produced using home-brew 3D printers. It wouldn't be cost-effective to use that method. Personal 3D printing is much more suited to custom production of very limited runs. This makes it ideal for custom cartridges for home-brew titles on classic systems. For mass-produced versions you would need to go through a more traditional factory system.

I'm personally interested in using such technology to produce custom 3D-sculpted cartridges for specific games. There was a lot of extra extraneous plastic in US NES carts. A lot of it could be used to produce some kick-ass custom sculpture to take the place of the labels. It would also make it possible to print replacement custom parts for damaged classic systems. Imagine being able to replace the yellowing plastic components from your SNES.

Bottom line, it's unlikely that personal 3D printing is going to result in mass-produced knock-offs. It's just not cost effective.
I don't think the bootlegs need to be mass-produced to be effective.

There was the big uproar about Aero Fighters 3 (and PSII, if I remember right) where a few copies were faked and sold for thousands of dollars. This thread describes the whole thing quite well: http://cardinalperception.com/mb/showthread.php/323-Fools-and-their-Money-The-Case-of-the-30-000-US-AeroFighters-3-Cartridge

I don't think the bootlegs need to be mass-produced to be effective.
Fair enough. But the situation you're referencing is an extreme fringe case. And lets be honest, no one in their right mind is going to spend $30,000 for a single cartridge. That's insane.

If forgery is your aim, there are plenty of other ways you can go about it. I seriously doubt a sudden rash of rare-game forgery is what we need to be worrying about. And as far as forgery is concerned, the kind of 1-shot big payoff forgeries are far more risky than a more systematic and cost-effective approach.

Some rare SNES titles regularly go for $100+ these days. And SNES cartridges have relatively standard shape/size/color. With a mass-production method, you could crank out a thousand copies of Dracula X for around $20 each, and then sell them for a $80 profit per unit on E-Bay. The most expensive aspects would be the PCBs and the assembly. The plastic and label printing would be relatively cheap. I've gotten printing quotes before, this really isn't that difficult.

The issue is that making additional, non-licensed print runs is only good until someone finds out. If you try to do it long term, you flood the market with supply and drive the demand down. And if your forgery is TOO good, there's no real reason for people NOT to buy it. They might insist on spending less, but they still might be willing to buy it if it's quality. The issue at that point is that the original publisher/developer will likely sic their legal department on you.

You'll probably get a couple of forgery cases, but any sensible collector is going to be able to avoid those easily enough. The potential for custom fan creations and new games is incredible.

bread's done
Back