Any of you have Dish Network?

Collectordragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
My Dish DVR has a category called "TV Entertainment" and it usually has a variety of different shows to watch for free that are already stored on the receiver separate from the normal recordings. What's offered varies wildly and I've had stuff ranging from pilots of new shows, episodes of MTV shows, nature documentaries, various cartoons, Showtime programming, short Bloomberg advice pieces, etc. Are these choices pre-determined, random, or based on previously watched channels/recordings? I haven't been able to find info on this anywhere.

Dish Network sucks balls compared to DirecTV, especially if you like any sports at all. It's basically babby's first satellite network.

Only sport I really like is MMA. I've used DirectTV at friends houses but didn't like it. DirectTV has controls that are unintuitive and the DVR only works if you have a current subscription and have an active connection which I thought was lame. At least the recorded stuff on a Dish DVR works even with no connection or if the satellite is down from a storm or whatever.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Only sport I really like is MMA. I've used DirectTV at friends houses but didn't like it. DirectTV has controls that are unintuitive and the DVR only works if you have a current subscription and have an active connection which I thought was lame. At least the recorded stuff on a Dish DVR works even with no connection or if the satellite is down from a storm or whatever.[/QUOTE]

My DVR has worked just fine when I have had a signal loss. The controls worked about the same when I had Dish vs now with Directv.

This is the deal with the two as I have had both.
DirecTV is like the big daddy's TV service. It has the most HD networks, it's the best for Sports, the HD signal is more powerful than the Dish one i.e. more crisp picture. The only draw back is the high price when compared to Dish. But you get what you pay for... :cool:

My father really hated Direct TV, so he plans on trying out dish.

They will be really friendly when you first sign up, probably because you will be pissed about all the nickel and dime'ing they do to you. After that, he was treated like a second rate customer. The dish also stopped working whenever it so much as sprinkled. He also had a friend who kicked out the installers once he found out all of the shit that was about to happen.

I know it is only 2 experiences, but they are horrible experiences. My dad downgraded to the lowest package he could get until his contract was up.

If you MUST have the NFL, go for Direct TV. You can get anything else elseware without much trouble.

(My personal experiences and opinions, obviously :) )

I just have an SDTV, so HD signals don't matter. I do know that you have to pay extra for DVR service with DirecTV and if you switch to a bare bones package you can't watch any of your recorded programming even if it's still on the DVR. I've witnessed that first hand.

I don't see why this topic has become Dish vs DirecTV. I just want to know if I can alter the programming that appears in the TV Entertainment category on my Dish DVR.

[quote name='lordopus99']My DVR has worked just fine when I have had a signal loss. The controls worked about the same when I had Dish vs now with Directv.

This is the deal with the two as I have had both.
DirecTV is like the big daddy's TV service. It has the most HD networks, it's the best for Sports, the HD signal is more powerful than the Dish one i.e. more crisp picture. The only draw back is the high price when compared to Dish. But you get what you pay for... :cool:[/QUOTE]

Both Dish/Direct support some 1080p, I've had both, the picture on HD looks identical to me. I actually enjoy Dish Network quite a bit more. The DVR is better and I enjoy saving $15 a month (after first year savings) for essentially the same package. The only thing that Direct TV has is Sunday Ticket, but there was no way I was paying $300 a year just for football. Otherwise, enjoy your big daddy package, I will enjoy my money savings.

Above post, sorry I don't know how to help you, but if you find out let me know. Posts like this tend to digress to Direct vs. Dish. It just annoys me when people have to make condensending comments like "Big Daddy" package.

@smallsharkbigbite Do you know what I'm talking about though? Push the DVR button once on your remote and then press the number 3 button. If your DVR has the TV Entertainment category that should bring it up. Not all models have it though. It's kind of cool since the programming provided is usually commercial free.

[quote name='Collectordragon']I just have an SDTV, so HD signals don't matter. I do know that you have to pay extra for DVR service with DirecTV and if you switch to a bare bones package you can't watch any of your recorded programming even if it's still on the DVR. I've witnessed that first hand.

I don't see why this topic has become Dish vs DirecTV. I just want to know if I can alter the programming that appears in the TV Entertainment category on my Dish DVR.[/QUOTE]

I've also witness it working. I have HBO recordings on my DVR and I don't have HBO set up on my account currently and I can watch all of my HBO recordings from it.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']
The only thing that Direct TV has is Sunday Ticket, but there was no way I was paying $300 a year just for football. Otherwise, enjoy your big daddy package, I will enjoy my money savings. [/QUOTE]

DirecTV has 160 HD channels (30 more coming) compared to 125 on Dish.
DirecTV carries MLB Extra Innings, Nascar Hotpass, NCAA March Madness, and more where Dish doesn't.
Per plan, DirecTV offers more channels... Dish small plan misses out on AMC, Bravo, etc. Sorry Mad Men ;)

Again, you pay more for more.

As for the HD signal, personally I noticed a difference between the two. Seeing Monday Night Football prior on Dish Network was ok but when I watched it once I got DirecTV I was just in shock at how amazing the picture was. The things that were different was I started seeing the sweat, the ball became clearer in high motion (i.e. when thrown), etc. Same TV, just different service provider. I leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's if you switch to the cheapest possible package offered by DirecTV that you lose DVR capabilities. A message pops up on the screen indicating that you need to upgrade your subscription plan if you try to watch anything on the DVR.

[quote name='Collectordragon']It's if you switch to the cheapest possible package offered by DirecTV that you lose DVR capabilities. A message pops up on the screen indicating that you need to upgrade your subscription plan if you try to watch anything on the DVR.[/QUOTE]

Wrong again. I currently have Choice Package (i.e. the lowest) with one premium and I have DVR service. The only thing that would stop you from DVR service is to NOT PAY for DVR service. :applause:

[quote name='Snuckles']You guys sound like sales men lol....(i work for dish)[/QUOTE]

I'm not a sales guy :lol:. I really only started talking in this thread when untrue things were being said.

[quote name='lordopus99']Wrong again. I currently have Choice Package (i.e. the lowest) with one premium and I have DVR service. The only thing that would stop you from DVR service is to NOT PAY for DVR service. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Yes, i.e. bare bones. If you only pay for the cheapest package it does not come with DVR service. There is no DVR fee with my Dish package.

I'll never understand why people have loyalty to companies that take their money.

I have DirecTV, but that's only because I live in a high rise and my options are them or Comcast. I continually loathe the fact that I love sports. Otherwise I wouldn't give any of these awful companies any of my money and would just rely on Netflix to watch TV shows etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'll never understand why people have loyalty to companies that take their money.

I have DirecTV, but that's only because I live in a high rise and my options are them or Comcast. I continually loathe the fact that I love sports. Otherwise I wouldn't give any of these awful companies any of my money and would just rely on Netflix to watch TV shows etc.[/QUOTE]

Is there a reason you cant use OTA? In a lot of instances the OTA signal is better, it doesnt have the compression of dish, directtv, or cable.

[quote name='paz9x']Is there a reason you cant use OTA? In a lot of instances the OTA signal is better, it doesnt have the compression of dish, directtv, or cable.[/QUOTE]

Sports.

Too much on the ESPN networks, TNT etc. to only have the networks.

But in any case, all I could do is have an indoor antenna anyway, as we aren't allowed to have any antenna's or dishes on our balconies in this highrise.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Sports.

Too much on the ESPN networks, TNT etc. to only have the networks.

But in any case, all I could do is have an indoor antenna anyway, as we aren't allowed to have any antenna's or dishes on our balconies in this highrise.[/QUOTE]

makes sense.

Only for rental property. Condo's the home owner's association sets such rules, and aren't bound by that regulation since every owner can vote to set or change the rules rather than it being a landlord/rental company setting the policy.

Here they opted for having a community dish on the roof of the high rise--but only for DirecTV. But it would be a mess if people had their own dishes on the balcony with 300 some units in this highrise! So I can see why they made that decision.

I'm not complaining, as I love DirecTV in terms of picture quality, channel line up and customer service, so I would take it over Dish anyway.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Only for rental property. Condo's the home owner's association sets such rules, and aren't bound by that regulation since every owner can vote to set or change the rules rather than it being a landlord/rental company setting the policy.

Here they opted for having a community dish on the roof of the high rise--but only for DirecTV. But it would be a mess if people had their own dishes on the balcony with 300 some units in this highrise! So I can see why they made that decision.

I'm not complaining, as I love DirecTV in terms of picture quality, channel line up and customer service, so I would take it over Dish anyway.[/QUOTE]

The FCC says that cities, Homeowner and Condo associations can't prevent someone from installing an antenna or a sat dish on their property. You can download and print the ruling from the FCC site. Don't let anyone bully you into thinking otherwise. On a high-rise, you can't drill holes into the walls, but you can attach it to a balcony railing.

Of course you'll probably get endless hassles for everything you want to do from the association, especially if you win in court.

Maybe so. But in this case I support the decision as it would look trashy having antenna's and dishes on our tiny balconies. Not to mention the balcony is barely usable being so narrow already without having anything but 2 small chairs out there.

And again, I'm 100% happy with direcTV and wouldn't want to switch to anything else anyway, so moot point.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Maybe so. But in this case I support the decision as it would look trashy having antenna's and dishes on our tiny balconies. Not to mention the balcony is barely usable being so narrow already without having anything but 2 small chairs out there.

And again, I'm 100% happy with direcTV and wouldn't want to switch to anything else anyway, so moot point.[/QUOTE]
I put it out there for someone who may want to have their own service, but is being stopped by an association.

Fair enough.

Not being able to drill holes is the kicker many places, and how they keep people from putting up dishes/antennas.

You can get flat cables that can go under some doors--but that wouldn't work here since we have really heavy, sliding class doors out to our balconies. But if you have a normal, swing open door, the flat cables may work.

In ATL, most of the high rises have community dishes on the roof, so it's pretty moot on the satellite front unless it's a place like mine that only has DirecTV or Dish rather than both as options. OTA antennas are different issue though, but then again I figure most people that can afford to live in a nice high rise in the city probably aren't hassling with OTA anyway.

bread's done
Back