Any online retailers who don't charge tax carrying the 3DS XL?

excellen

CAGiversary!
I had been waiting for Amazon to list the 3DS XL for preorders but it seems like they're going to go with their 3DS policy and leave it to 3rd party sellers with Amazon fulfillment.

Aside from Amazon, Newegg is the only other online retailer that I know of who doesn't charge sales tax to most states but it looks like they're not going to be stocking the 3DS XL either.

Is there any other reputable online retailer that will be carrying the XL who doesn't charge tax?

You still have to pay use tax on the item you purchase online if your retailer doesn't charge you tax. Just because the retailer doesn't charge you tax on the item doesn't mean you get out of your responsibility to pay it after the fact.

[quote name='shrike4242']You still have to pay use tax on the item you purchase online if your retailer doesn't charge you tax. Just because the retailer doesn't charge you tax on the item doesn't mean you get out of your responsibility to pay it after the fact.[/QUOTE]

Im looking for the same thing as the OP, I have Amazon Prime so I wish they would carry this unit as well. As to this post, I have no idea what he means about having to pay tax after you buy something on a tax-free site like Amazon. As far as I know, it is the retailers respinsibility to charge sales tax, not the consumers.

[quote name='Nesboy43']Im looking for the same thing as the OP, I have Amazon Prime so I wish they would carry this unit as well. As to this post, I have no idea what he means about having to pay tax after you buy something on a tax-free site like Amazon. As far as I know, it is the retailers respinsibility to charge sales tax, not the consumers.[/QUOTE]

You are supposed to report all purchases that do not charge a sales tax on your tax forms. Not doing this is tax evasion.

The gov't is working on making online sites report sales even if they don't charge the tax that way they can go after the people evading.

[quote name='Nesboy43']Im looking for the same thing as the OP, I have Amazon Prime so I wish they would carry this unit as well. As to this post, I have no idea what he means about having to pay tax after you buy something on a tax-free site like Amazon. As far as I know, it is the retailers respinsibility to charge sales tax, not the consumers.[/QUOTE]

It's called a use tax. If an item is taxable in your state, you're suppose to pay tax on it, regardless of whether or not you're charged sales tax. The seller is only responsible to collect sales tax if they have a physical presence in the state or if they worked out some kind of arrangement with the state. Most people do not pay use tax, though, because they either unaware of it or know that the state is unlikely to be able to find out about their purchases. As someone else said, though, states are looking for ways to get their money now, especially due to the poor state of our economy.

bread's done
Back