Any point as to having a SD card??

AJVtony831

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
I was going to download some games from the virtual console onto my wii but it asked me if I wanted to save it to my wii system or a SD card. I was wondering if there was any big difference as to if I save it onto the system or the card?

I use an SD card as a way of transporting save files. If a friend has a Wii but doesn't have a specific game (for example, NSMB Wii) I will put the save file on an SD card, that way if we get to playing we don't have to go through the entire game.

The Wii has 512MB of internal memory (if i remember right).
Most SD cards sold today have at least 2GB and you can get a 4GB card for under $10.

So it's a space thing. If you buy enough games off of Wii Shop, they're not all going to fit on the Wii's internal storage.

My SD cards contains downloaded games, photos, and music. (The music is very rarely used.)

There is one downside to using an SD card to store games: when you start a game from the SD card, it takes between 5 and 15 seconds to copy over to Wii system memory. The benefit is that you can download and hold many more games on an SD card than you could by just saving them directly on your Wii.

Since I have about 60 downloaded games, the SD card is necessary for me. The short wait before starting a game doesn't really bother me. However, if you only plan to download a few games then it makes sense to save them directly on your Wii - if you run out of memory later, you can buy an SD card and move the game from your Wii to the card without losing anything.

depends if you have homebrew or not.
while a normal Wii's SD card can carry/transfer saves, pictures, music and can hold DL'd games, a homebrew enabled Wii and properly set up SD can provide you with a multimedia player, emulators for GBA, N64 and/or Genesis and a bunch of cool apps, like a comic viewing channel, WIIMC media center, or original games by other homebrewers and whatnot.
I personally use mine for Apps, Games and Videos on my 4gig microSD, it's pretty sweet :whee:

I think you must prefer SD as thats what I also use. My SD is so important to me because you can access and have many other games on it.

Outside of storage for purchases, the only thing I've used it for is custom soundtracks on Excite Truck. I wish more games used that feature. On that same topic, I found it puzzling that they pulled it out of ExciteBots.

bread's done
Back