Any really good GPU deals today?

Waughoo

CAGiversary!
I'm thinking about a new video card for Xmas. We cant afford a like $200+ card, but could probably go around $100-150. I'm replacing my Radeon HD 5670 for something better, hopefully and Nvidia with PhysX.
Right now I'm looking at this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130652

I'll look around some more after work. Wish me luck, I work for Brinks and it's Black Friday. If I'm gonna get shot at work, it'll be today.

Honestly, I never liked the 550ti. Reason being, it was meant to replace the aging 460's, but when they launched, its MSRP was $150 last year to be priced between the older 450 and 460's. The 460 was still priced around $160 MSRP, but it was easy to find it for $100-125 new from msi and evga when the 550ti was launched. I grabbed an older 460 for $99 new with a stock aftermarket dual fan cooler from NCIX last year; floating it around in a spare bedroom computer/folding gpu.

To add insult to the 550, it was restricted with the 192 bit wide memory bus compared to the 256 on the 460. In theory, the 550 was faster in fill rate, but in actual throughput and in most games, the 460 was 20% faster.

Nvidia new this and thus the reason why they tried to kill the 460 as fast as possible so consumers couldn't get a better card for cheaper. Even now, its hard to justify spend $100 on a card of when that same $100 last year would net me more frames. (although, admittedly, I do own an evga 550ti, but I got it free as a replacement for my aging 8800 gts that died with lifetime warranty)

If anything, I'd look at these (and that's without really digging through all the BF sales crap):

MSI GTX 650 1GB for $70 AR @ newegg. It's the same power as the 550ti, comes with Assassins Creed 3 and Shogun 2.

MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB for $106 AR @ NCIX. Its about 20-30% more powerful than the 550ti/650 cards for not much more, even comes with Far Cry 3. But it does run a bit hotter, uses more energy and its AMD without physix. Still a very good value card to challenge the $100 arena.

XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB for $120 AR @ newegg. Its about double the power as the 550ti/650 cards, again free games: Dirt 3, Far Cry 3 and Two Worlds. Its an older card, but in terms of performance/value, its hard to beat right now; been one of the best budget cards for the last year.

Granted, with all of these cards, you do "suffer" with a 1GB of VRAM compared to the 2GB of that from the EVGA 550ti for $100, but in most games, you would rarely use that much memory because by the time you have a game to allocate huge HD textures to fill 2GB, the GPU on the 550 is too weak to use them. It's like saying your store is better because its the size of a warehouse, yet you only have one cash register... You are going to have some bottlenecks.

Also, Physix isn't any huge feature that is a must need. We nvidia users just call it the "clutter and debris" filter since most games that cheaply implement Physix tends to only use it for flying trash, flags (that get in your way), better shattering glass and more smoke effects (that also get in your way). I end up turning it off for competition play since its a detriment when you can't see your enemy through a cloud smoke, yet he can easily see you cause he has less puffs being rendered. Only a handful of games actually use Physix correctly like Dirt 3 and Batman.

[quote name='JBaz']Honestly, I never liked the 550ti. Reason being, it was meant to replace the aging 460's, but when they launched, its MSRP was $150 last year to be priced between the older 450 and 460's. The 460 was still priced around $160 MSRP, but it was easy to find it for $100-125 new from msi and evga when the 550ti was launched. I grabbed an older 460 for $99 new with a stock aftermarket dual fan cooler from NCIX last year; floating it around in a spare bedroom computer/folding gpu.

To add insult to the 550, it was restricted with the 192 bit wide memory bus compared to the 256 on the 460. In theory, the 550 was faster in fill rate, but in actual throughput and in most games, the 460 was 20% faster.

Nvidia new this and thus the reason why they tried to kill the 460 as fast as possible so consumers couldn't get a better card for cheaper. Even now, its hard to justify spend $100 on a card of when that same $100 last year would net me more frames. (although, admittedly, I do own an evga 550ti, but I got it free as a replacement for my aging 8800 gts that died with lifetime warranty)

If anything, I'd look at these (and that's without really digging through all the BF sales crap):

MSI GTX 650 1GB for $70 AR @ newegg. It's the same power as the 550ti, comes with Assassins Creed 3 and Shogun 2.

MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB for $106 AR @ NCIX. Its about 20-30% more powerful than the 550ti/650 cards for not much more, even comes with Far Cry 3. But it does run a bit hotter, uses more energy and its AMD without physix. Still a very good value card to challenge the $100 arena.

XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB for $120 AR @ newegg. Its about double the power as the 550ti/650 cards, again free games: Dirt 3, Far Cry 3 and Two Worlds. Its an older card, but in terms of performance/value, its hard to beat right now; been one of the best budget cards for the last year.

Granted, with all of these cards, you do "suffer" with a 1GB of VRAM compared to the 2GB of that from the EVGA 550ti for $100, but in most games, you would rarely use that much memory because by the time you have a game to allocate huge HD textures to fill 2GB, the GPU on the 550 is too weak to use them. It's like saying your store is better because its the size of a warehouse, yet you only have one cash register... You are going to have some bottlenecks.

Also, Physix isn't any huge feature that is a must need. We nvidia users just call it the "clutter and debris" filter since most games that cheaply implement Physix tends to only use it for flying trash, flags (that get in your way), better shattering glass and more smoke effects (that also get in your way). I end up turning it off for competition play since its a detriment when you can't see your enemy through a cloud smoke, yet he can easily see you cause he has less puffs being rendered. Only a handful of games actually use Physix correctly like Dirt 3 and Batman.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Thanks for the info! I really just want PhysX for the added effects in BL2. I know it's a lot of 'junk' flying around, but BL is supposed to be that way. I am really wanting to avoid Radeon just because I've had problems with their updates several times. But I might still go with them if the card is that much more powerful than the other options. Honestly my current Radeon HD 5670 isnt even bad right now, I only get frame drops in BL2 when theres a lot on the screen at once. I'll have the think about it.

[quote name='shosh']well i personally just got the 2gb 7850 for 150 at amazon, newegg had the same deal but with farcry3 for free.

I'd imagine this card would be back on monday, but I thought it was a great deal

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KJ1URG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00[/QUOTE]
It was a great deal for $150, better price/performance than the 6870, but for $220 now? really hard to justify an extra $100 for 20% increase in performance and double the ram. And just like you said, it probably will go on sale again on cyber monday. I really haven't been impressed that much with the budget to mid-level gpu sales this BF.

[quote name='JBaz']It was a great deal for $150, better price/performance than the 6870, but for $220 now? really hard to justify an extra $100 for 20% increase in performance and double the ram. And just like you said, it probably will go on sale again on cyber monday. I really haven't been impressed that much with the budget to mid-level gpu sales this BF.[/QUOTE]

yea i wasnt suggesting he buy it at 220, which is msrp at this point. Id suggest going to slickdeals and setup a deal alert for the 7850, as it seems the best bang for the buck is this exact card, and its been on sale for 150 a few times now. to maximize his budget, I was suggesting this deal, which im sure will pop up again before xmas. this site seems to do a shoddy job when it comes to posting deals regarding pc gaming hardware.

This site does a shoddy job at anything PC related. CAG is mostly console fanboys who swear their devices aren't PC's... when in fact we all know that to be completely bogus. Shit, the xbox was a Pentium III 700mhz.

Here's a list of the BF weekend video card sales; if you notice, its pretty much OOS on the list. Only thing that's mildly tempting is the EVGA GTX 560 ti for $140, but nothing special since you could have found them at this price pre-BF sales.

The 448 and the 7850 are the mid range budget cards to fight, stab or shoot for... lol Figuratively, not literally like people at walmart's are doing right now. Crazy, the only thing I bought this BF was some napkins, paper towels, galaxy s III and some shoes all from the comfort of the internet. Although, if I lived next to a microcenter... things would have been different.

I'll second the Radeon HD 7770 recommendation. I've had mine since early this summer and so far It can easily max out every Unreal engine game I've tried, Borderlands 2 included. Even more demanding games like The Witcher 2 run pretty good.

Also I've heard there's a way to enable PhysX on AMD cards with Borderlands 2, haven't tried it myself though.

[quote name='chibilaharl']Thoughts on the 9800GT?[/QUOTE]
Really good deal... if this was 2007...

9800's were rebadged 8800's for marketing purposes, which was rebadged as the GTS 250 and then rebadged as the OEM GT 330 later on.

It'll beat all of the entry level display cards for about the same prices of $30, but then that's not saying much and you still wouldn't get your money's worth. If you need to run some extra displays, best add some $10 AMD 6450 or Nvidia 210's that offer better 1080p video playback acceleration and HDMI support; great for cheap HTPC boxes using shitty CPU's.

Otherwise, stick with Intel or AMD onboard gpu's in modern APU's which offer the same (or faster) performance or spend a bit more and get a proper modern entry level graphics card.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 6870. My wife said she was gonna get it yesterday, but I dont think she did. So now we might be waiting for Cyber Monday deals first. Oh yeah, that 9800 card only had 2 in stock anyhow. Any kind of deal they do on it tomorrow will wipe out their inventory.

Not really any solid PC part deals this year... which is of course why I started a build :roll:

(except the i5-3750k processor I got for $110 @ microcenter, that was unbelievable)

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Not really any solid PC part deals this year... which is of course why I started a build :roll:

(except the i5-3750k processor I got for $110 @ microcenter, that was unbelievable)[/QUOTE]

That is a great deal. Was that in store only?

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Not really any solid PC part deals this year... which is of course why I started a build :roll:

(except the i5-3750k processor I got for $110 @ microcenter, that was unbelievable)[/QUOTE]
Great deal on a fake cpu... I believe you mean the i5-3570K... ;)

As for part sales, I saw entry to budget level parts that were mostly on sale this BF season compared to last year. I agree, it was a lack luster event, but honestly most people who would have been shopping for pc part deals were looking for cheap cheap and more cheap instead of performance/value ratios. Still didn't mean you couldn't find solid PC part deals, but I would hold judgement till tomorrow's sales.

I'm asian and I concur, this has been the worst Cyber Monday ever.

And to think people fought, shot, stabbed and died for craptastic sales this holiday season...

bread's done
Back