Any restaurants open today?? (thanksgiving)

deathcabforcutie

CAGiversary!
anybody know if any restaurants / fast food places are open today?? kinda hungry.. no food in the house.. haha i know, sad on thanksgiving, but just wanted to know if anyone knew any places staying open?? thanks!

[quote name='deathcabforcutie']anybody know if any restaurants / fast food places are open today?? kinda hungry.. no food in the house.. haha i know, sad on thanksgiving, but just wanted to know if anyone knew any places staying open?? thanks![/quote]

Dude, aren't you in Mobile??? C'mon man, this is Alabama... try Waffle House

Oh yeah... Cracker Barrell and Piccadilly Caffeteria should be open

[quote name='Skylander7'][quote name='deathcabforcutie']anybody know if any restaurants / fast food places are open today?? kinda hungry.. no food in the house.. haha i know, sad on thanksgiving, but just wanted to know if anyone knew any places staying open?? thanks![/quote]

Dude, aren't you in Mobile??? C'mon man, this is Alabama... try Waffle House

Oh yeah... Cracker Barrell and Piccadilly Caffeteria should be open[/quote]

nope birmingham.. but you are right, waffle house is ALWAYS open.. think i may head that way soon, thanks man!

And then, go out and get shitfaced in Bham... and return to Waffle House at 2 am. There's nothing like bragging rights for two trips to Affle Waffle on Turkey Day, you know?

[quote name='dnt_h8me2']IHOP or Denny's[/quote]

IHOP would be my choice. I've never been to waffle house and the service at Denny's always sucks. Can't get out of that place in less than 2 hours.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='dnt_h8me2']IHOP or Denny's[/quote]

IHOP would be my choice. I've never been to waffle house and the service at Denny's always sucks. Can't get out of that place in less than 2 hours.[/quote]

They pretty much pulled all Denny's restaurants out of Alabama. I mean, Montgomery lost theirs... I'm 99% sure there isn't one in Mobile, and I can't recall seeing one in Birmingham. It's bad enough we live in the most backwards ass state in the nation with an abundance of NASCAR rednecks, but did they have to take away our Grand Slam Breakfast too??

yeah dennys is gone from birmingham too.. there used to be one in irondale but it closed up atleast 4-5 years ago.. im pretty sure they are all gone in the state

You might try places that are authentic mexican, chinese, etc., since Thanksgiving is an American holiday. I doubt they get too excited about it

Methinks advice here is YMMV. :wink:

My best suggestion would be to wander around town until you see a place that's open. There's got to be a restaurant serving food in your city, even if it's just a McDonald's or a Burger King.

Come over to Anniston/Oxford and eat Fuji's. Nothin' like Japanese cuisine on Thanksgiving. Or eat the at the Japanese place in Bham. Styx I think it is... or maybe that's Atlanta. :whistle2:k

If you have a Jack In The Box nearby, they should be open.

I like the food at IHOP but the one near my house has the worst service.

At worse, you could always go to 7-Eleven and get a hot dog or something. :lol:

[quote name='duckmustard']You might try places that are authentic mexican, chinese, etc., since Thanksgiving is an American holiday. I doubt they get too excited about it[/quote]

There's a chinese buffet here that's open today and they're serving turkey alongside the usual menu.

[quote name='DigitalSpace']If you have a Jack In The Box nearby, they should be open.
[/quote]

I thought those all closed down after dozens of people died there or something? I've never had the (dis)pleasure of eating at one of them, how is their food.

[quote name='icemanjmw13']
I thought those all closed down after dozens of people died there or something? I've never had the (dis)pleasure of eating at one of them, how is their food.[/quote]

Well, first off, here's the story on that and how they handled it:

In 1993, America first heard of E. Coli. They heard about this when four people died and about 700 became ill from eating undercooked contaminated hamburgers at Jack in the Box restaurants in Washington state.

E. coli bacteria lives in the intestines of cattle, and can be spread to meat through poor butchering. Even then, it's on the surface of the meat. Thorough cooking can kill it, so when you're having a steak at a restaurant, you can still order meat rare, and as long as the surface is thoroughly browned, you're fine. But hamburger is ground steak, so what was the surface is mixed throughout the meat. That's why hamburgers need to be cooked through.

Foodmaker survived this disaster by working quickly. They were working with food safety experts within a week of the problem cropping up. They implemented a HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) system amongst other unheard of safety measures and became the leader in restaurant food safety. They settled lawsuits involving ill customers within about a year. They took responsibility, and they handled the situation. This crisis should have killed them. It didn't. There are few people in the industry who will speak of the company negatively about the E. Coli disaster. Foodmaker did everything right in handling the problem as best as possible. Jack in the Box restaurants in the Pacific Northwest, whose sales dropped 80 percent after the breakout, were back to near normal sales levels within six months.

I got that here, and there's more about the chain in that link if you want to read about it.

The food is pretty good imo. When I go there I usually get two Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers and two tacos and that sets me back about three bucks.

If you live in az, texas, or cali, theres always Filibertos, or the filiberto clones. Those 24 drive through mexican fast food pits.
It has become my thanksgiving meal every year for hte last 6 years :(
Nothing like a burrito or nachos instead of turkey !

damn Taco Bell AND Baja Fresh were closed! hadda go with donuts from the Cambodian lady for lunch...a nice burrito woulda ben swell tho...

bread's done
Back