Any Saké connoisseurs around?

infamyRISE

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I've had a real hankering for some saké recently, so I think i'll stop by my local beer & wine shop tommorow & pick some up. Anyone have a recommendation on what brands are good and whats not worth my money?

My experience is limited to the sushi house in town, where I almost always order the saké, but I have no clue what kind they use.

IDK. I know this one bar near campus that has really good drink specials, one of them being sake bombs. You get a little vase of warm sake, a shot glass, and a big thing of Japanese beer. You pour the beer in a mug, and drop a shot of sake in it, and drink. It almost makes the Japanese beer bearable.

If you want a sweet sake, get the Nigori. it's an unfiltered sake, best served chilled.

For a drier sake, get the Otokoyama, also best served chilled.

For warm sake, get the Shochikubai Junmai. Put it in a little sake carafe and heat it up in the microwave.

Sakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Sakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I think all I had was the cheap stuff and it wasn't that great. Not to thread crap or anything, anyone had Singha Beer before, its Thai.

[quote name='6669']IDK. I know this one bar near campus that has really good drink specials, one of them being sake bombs. You get a little vase of warm sake, a shot glass, and a big thing of Japanese beer. You pour the beer in a mug, and drop a shot of sake in it, and drink. It almost makes the Japanese beer bearable.[/QUOTE]

use caution when doing this. mmmmmmm....

I used to get Onigoroshi when I was in NYC. You could get a giant bottle for $20 and it was pretty good.

[quote name='infamyRISE']Looks...interesting...how was it?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='JimmieMac']That's not even Sake, it's plum wine. I bought a bottle of it last week to braise short ribs in.[/QUOTE] What he said. It's cheap as hell, too. And usually right next to the MD20/20. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'] MD20/20[/QUOTE]

barf.

Reminds me of the time me & my friends had the brilliant idea to see if we could party on Night Train all night.

The answer is no. The answer is always no.

Does anyone know the name of a Sake that comes in a small green bottle that is served cold and tastes very sweet, almost like bananas? I can't find this anywhere but I swear I've had it before.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Does anyone know the name of a Sake that comes in a small green bottle that is served cold and tastes very sweet, almost like bananas? I can't find this anywhere but I swear I've had it before.[/quote]

I beleive you are talking about the Nigori which was mentioned earlier in this thread. i bought a bottle about a month ago and it's delicious.

[quote name='Dingleberry']I beleive you are talking about the Nigori which was mentioned earlier in this thread. i bought a bottle about a month ago and it's delicious.[/quote]

I think it's takara sierra cold sake. It's about $11 for 300ml.

bread's done
Back