Any thoughts/deals on a Sharp Aquos 1080p 42' LCD TV - LC42D64U ?

MIGGO

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I was looking for a 42' inch LCD screen, and everytime I sit down and look through all the specs I always end up looking at this particular TV.

Sharp_LC42D64U.jpeg
  • 42" HDTV LCD-TV with Full HD 1080p resolution
  • 10,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
  • 4ms Response Time
  • PC Input
  • RS-232C Input for control
  • Display Area: 42"
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9
  • Contrast Ratio: 10000:1
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Signal Compatibility: 480i, 480p , 720p , 1080i
  • Signal Compatibility: 1080p
  • Input Video Signal: ATSC
  • Input Video Signal: NTSC
  • Inputs: S-Video
  • Inputs: PC
  • Inputs: Audio
  • Inputs: Composite
  • Inputs: RS-232 Communication
  • Inputs: HDMI In
  • Inputs: Component
  • Power Consumption: 215W
  • Dimensions With Stand: 39.53" x 27.9" x 12.8"

Does anyone know of any current deals with this TV or know if this TV is any good? Just trying to get an honest opinion before I spend my cash...

I'm actually using this particular TV as my computer monitor right now. It's a great television and everything you'd expect from a good brand LCD (good PQ, black levels, etc.) It completely blows my two former televisions, a Vizio LCD and Panny Plasma, out of the water in terms of PQ.

The only drawbacks are the small banding issues and very weak speakers. The banding is not noticeable unless you really look hard at a completely gray-ish screen; you will not notice it in normal viewing. For the speakers, I ended up getting an HTIB which is pretty much the natural progression after getting an HDTV anyway.

But yeah, great choice. I studied/tried out televisions for months before I got it. FYI, I got mine for $1180 after tax (8% in CA).

Get a LC-42D72U. Its a newer model of the same TV. I can't remember all the specifics but it has improved darks (about as good as you can get from an LCD) and some other tweaks.

They aren't easy to find in stores though, from what I've seen.

Relentless what model Panasonic did you have? I'm thinking about buying a 50-58" plasma this summer and looking at Panasonic and Pioneer specifically.

Thanks for the comments!

[quote name='freshzen']Get a LC-42D72U. Its a newer model of the same TV. I can't remember all the specifics but it has improved darks (about as good as you can get from an LCD) and some other tweaks.

Relentless what model Panasonic did you have? I'm thinking about buying a 50-58" plasma this summer and looking at Panasonic and Pioneer specifically.[/quote]

Cool. I checked it out online and the cheapest place that has it is GoBuyDigital.com, which looks kinda shady. I think I'll just keep an eye out for a deal in the upcoming weeks.

[quote name='freshzen']Get a LC-42D72U. Its a newer model of the same TV. I can't remember all the specifics but it has improved darks (about as good as you can get from an LCD) and some other tweaks.

Relentless what model Panasonic did you have? I'm thinking about buying a 50-58" plasma this summer and looking at Panasonic and Pioneer specifically.[/quote]

This is incorrect. The LC-42D72U is actually an older model than the 64u. The 72U is a more advanced 62U which was last years model. The 72U does 120htz which is supposed to give a smoother picture than 60htz but the 64U has 1.3a hdmi. The 72U is older 1.2 technology. Also the 64U has less of a banding problem than the 72U series.

I own the 42 64U, and it is a great tv. Like another poster said above, it does have some banding if you look at a solid grey screen, but it is not noticible in normal viewing. It is great for video games, and HDTV. Even the standard defination tv picture is pretty good. I highly recommend it, and it can be picked up at some very good prices. In fact, alot of retailers are offering a free Blu Ray player with this model right now.

I'm gonna agree with all the love. I have the 46" model and I love it completely. Decent amount of inputs, great picture quality, and it should be more affordable than other tvs in it's class too.

I have this 1 as well and picked it up for 1200 a month and a half ago. It is a good lcd tv. Circuit City has it for $1619 and you get a free sharp blueray player with the puchase. Get 1 of those 10% off AAA coupons or 1 of the others and your looking @ $1458+ tax and you will have a br player.

FWIW, I was at Sears one day and was just randomly browsing the big TV's. Not gonna buy one anytime soon personally but it was fun to look. Anyways, the 120Hz thing on the Sharp TVs really blew me away. The picture motion was noticeably smoother, very noticeably so since it was sitting next to some other TVs that were only 60Hz. I don't know if this 120Hz enhancement applies to any tv signal you get or if you need a special source to take advantage of it, but I thought to myself "if or when I finally buy a big TV I will have to get one with this 120Hz technology".

Ruahrc

I sell TV's and I find that the Sharp has very poor black levels for its supposed 10000:1 contrast ratio. Compared to a lot of other options out there. Black levels were not "Vizio Bad" but nowhere near Sony's or Samsungs. In fact, at one point we were getting paid a high % rate to sell that set, and honestly I couldn't make it look as good as the entry level Sony S Series, no matter how hard I tried. YMMV, however. It doesn't have 120 hz, but it is a very slim line TV. I really wanted to like it a lot more than I did, I am usually a big fan of Sharps.

There are notable banding issues with the Sharp Panels as well. I'd opt for a sony W or V series, or a Samsung instead, but that's just my opinion. The LG 42" LCD has a pretty nice picture as well.

Thanks for the help. I bought one today at BB and got a price match for FRY's. Fry's had it for $1299 which was $400 less than BB, so I got it for a total of $1407. Not too shabby, not a great deal but dammit I wanted one.

Thanks again. Let the thread die.

[quote name='von551']damn, now it's $1800! you missed it by a day i guess...in case you already dont know:
www.techbargains.com
http://slickdeals.net
http://ableshoppers.com[/quote]

I work for Dell and to let you know, this tv is now $1499 with the blu ray player. Not only that, each kiosk has coupons they can use. The biggest coupon on this is $75, but a sales rep at a kiosk can also take 15% additional off with approval from their managers if you let them know you want this tv and want it now.

BTW, I have this tv myself, and it is a beautiful tv. My 360, ps3 and blu rays look great on it.

Also, 120hz is overated. It really doesnt make that much of a difference. Read up on it before spending the extra money.

I have been looking at this particular model myself, but my cheapassness is preventing me from buying until the price is around $1000.

I suggest keeping an eye on Second Act:

http://www.secondact.com/category/promo

They have daily deals on refurb TVs (if you don't mind refurbs that is), and they've had various Aquos(es?) in the past.

bread's done
Back