Any timing belt stories?

strayfoxx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The past year in graduate school has been so hectic, that I have forgotten to change the timing belts of two of the '94 Hondas that I own (Integra and Del Sol). Timing belt recently went on my Integra while doing 70mph on the highway and I got away with apparently (or ostensibly) no valve damage. I am relatively naive as to car repair, and soon found out about zero clearance etc, and certain cars if the timing belt goes it can do some terrible valve damage. Moreover, the only way to find out if it did any damage to anything is to have the timing belt put on, and to see if it skips or not. So potentially you could be paying for a repair cost that could be completely useless if you dont want to put the massive amounts of cash into having valves replaced.

Just wondering if anyone else has any issues with their timing belts, or possessed the foresight to have it changed when necessary.I know if you own a Honda that hasnt had it changed, and you are at or around 90k get that belt changed now. The ramifications of a shot timing belt that could potentially do valve damage are enough to consider junking an old car over.

I had an '89 CRX Si back in 2001 with something like 77k miles on it. Timing belt broke, lovely car went to Honda heaven.

In hindsight I should've kept it around and swapped out the engine. That however would require me learning far more about car care than I do now or likely ever will.

[quote name='Halo05']I had an '89 CRX Si back in 2001 with something like 77k miles on it. Timing belt broke, lovely car went to Honda heaven.

In hindsight I should've kept it around and swapped out the engine. That however would require me learning far more about car care than I do now or likely ever will.[/QUOTE]

My Del Sol is the legitimate successor of your CRX so I feel for your loss. CRX's are nice cars, and keeping one around would have been awesome.

I haven't had mine go out, but thanks for reminding me-- I'm close to 85,000 on my '97 Golf and need to get it changed. especially since I mainly use it for the 2 hour drive from Madison to Chicago. It would suck ass to get stuck in the middle of I-90.

bread's done
Back