Any way to find out the best system for a multiplatform game?

TimPV3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (98%)
Right now I'm working on my PS2 collection, and I'm trying to buy games that performed best on PS2. I've gotten pretty much every exclusive I'm looking for right now, but multiplatform games like the Prince of Persia series, Psychonauts, Tony Hawk, etc are all games I want to play, but I'm not sure what system to get them for.

I know the Tony Hawk games got custom soundtracks on the Xbox, so that's a given, but what about other third party games? I've heard Metal Gear Solid 2 wasn't the best port in the world and was actually better on PS2, but games like Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks or Spiderman 2 played and looked smoother on Xbox.

Gamespot used to have a little "BEST!" icon next to whatever platform got reviewed the highest on a game's page, but with their new layout it doesn't appear anymore. What I'd like to know is if there is any site that offers some insight as to which system a game performs better on, so I can make an informed decision about which last gen platform I should buy my games for. I'm aware of IGN's head-to-head series, but I don't have an insider account, and I'm not sure they covered everything. Any help on this would be appreciated.

General rule is that the Xbox is going to have the best version due to more powerfully hardware. MSGS2 is better on PS2 because the xbox version have slow down in the first area.

[quote name='62t']General rule is that the Xbox is going to have the best version due to more powerfully hardware. MSGS2 is better on PS2 because the xbox version have slow down in the first area.[/quote]I assumed for every third-party game the XBox would have the superior version, but I've heard some games were better on PS2. Then again, there's also the issue of the Gamecube, some games were only released on PS2 and Gamecube and while the general rule is the Gamecube version was better, games like RE4 and Viewtiful Joe had extra incentives to pick-up the PS2 version

[quote name='TimPV3']I assumed for every third-party game the XBox would have the superior version, but I've heard some games were better on PS2. Then again, there's also the issue of the Gamecube, some games were only released on PS2 and Gamecube and while the general rule is the Gamecube version was better, games like RE4 and Viewtiful Joe had extra incentives to pick-up the PS2 version[/QUOTE]

Even with the extra incentives it is not worth getting the PS2 version of RE4 over the CG version

I'd usually buy for the system the game was originally developed for (RE4 for the GC, for example). Sometimes I take the controller into consideration (can't imagine playing Viewtiful Joe on anything but a PS2 controller).

Beyond the reasons above, I'd usually buy the PS2 version (I never owned an Xbox) because the GC's smaller discs often required compromises, typically to the audio. That information was hard to find since most reviewers would play through one version (Xbox, typically) and only give a cursory glance to the other platforms. With enough research though you can get an idea of which version is better in certain areas, and which compromises you're willing to live with.

bread's done
Back