Any way to get a pre-installed game(Mario Kart 7) from a dead 3DS onto a brand new one?

ajh2298

CAGiversary!
Feedback
181 (100%)
My son had the 3ds xl that had Mario Kart pre-installed well it bricked on us yesterday and everything including data on the SD card was lost. Well luckily I was able to get an exchange for a basic model new one at Best Buy at no cost since I had the extended warranty. Now is there anyway I can re-download his copy of Mario Kart onto his new from anywhere?

Thanks,
Anthony

An exchange? If that means you gave them the old system, then no. There have been numerous reports online of Nintendo refusing to do this unless you have the original system to perform some sort of license transfer. Even registering via Club Nintendo isn't adequate proof of ownership.

If you still have the other system but it won't turn on, they will likely ask you to mail in BOTH systems and then they will transfer content.

I know. Its really, really dumb.

I have a related question. My son has the Mario Kart pre-loaded blue XL, but I'm giving him his choice of Zelda or Mario bundle for Xmas. Since the Mario game is pre-loaded, I'm assuming we transfer all data from Blue to New and that will transfer the Mario Kart, and then we can re-download the Mario game. Is that correct? What about future... will his new XL have Mario Kart "assigned" to it so that now he'll be eligible to re-download Mario Kart if something happens to that New system, non-Blue Mario Kart system (future transfer, etc.)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a related question. My son has the Mario Kart pre-loaded blue XL, but I'm giving him his choice of Zelda or Mario bundle for Xmas. Since the Mario game is pre-loaded, I'm assuming we transfer all data from Blue to New and that will transfer the Mario Kart, and then we can re-download the Mario game. Is that correct? What about future... will his new XL have Mario Kart "assigned" to it so that now he'll be eligible to re-download Mario Kart if something happens to that New system, non-Blue Mario Kart system (future transfer, etc.)?
I just did this (Mario Kart 7 3DS XL --> Zelda 3DS XL). My two installed games (Mario Kart 7 and Mario Land) were transferred to the Zelda 3DS XL. At first I re downloaded the games, but my saves were gone. I swapped SD cards and my saves were back. I think you just have to swap the memory cards, not redownload the games.

The Blue 3DS XL (previous Mario Kart 7 3DS XL) has no games installed on it,

OK, that's what I thought. I was not expecting to have to re-download the games from the Blue one right now. But that does still leave 2 questions:

1. Is the Mario Kart transfered from the Blue system now tied to your Zelda system? I just want to make sure it can be re-downloaded if needed.

2. I think that the transfer would wipe out the pre-loaded Mario & Luigi Dream game, correct? So I'm assuming that is the case and it would have to be downloaded again.

Thanks for the insight so far. I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue, but just double checking since people have lost paid content on Nintendo systems before.

OK, that's what I thought. I was not expecting to have to re-download the games from the Blue one right now. But that does still leave 2 questions:

1. Is the Mario Kart transfered from the Blue system now tied to your Zelda system? I just want to make sure it can be re-downloaded if needed.

2. I think that the transfer would wipe out the pre-loaded Mario & Luigi Dream game, correct? So I'm assuming that is the case and it would have to be downloaded again.

Thanks for the insight so far. I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue, but just double checking since people have lost paid content on Nintendo systems before.
1. Mario Kart 7 is tied to my Zelda 3DS XL. I did re download it from the eShop before I swapped SD cards and it worked fine. The Blue XL can not download Mario Kart 7 for free.

2. Zelda A Link Between Worlds was a download code so I don't have 1st hand experience with a pre installed game, I believe it is overwritten and has to be re downloaded.

When I upgraded to the MK7 XL, I transferred my normal 3DS content. It formatted the XL in the process but MK7 was still tied to it for download. So yes, data is wiped in a transfer, but licenses attached to the hardware stay put.

bread's done
Back