Any Way to Push a Clearance?

Gumby the Green

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
hey guys i would like to start out by saying that this is my first time starting a new post so mercy please. I figured since this is about video game deals that this is the right spot but mods please move if its wrong.

So i was wondering if there is a way to get a store to "price match" their other branches clearances. it just seems that a lot of the deals are YMMV these days and it seems that non of my local retailers clearance out like their counter parts across the country.

For instance there has been a 360 hd-dvd drive sitting at my local k-mart at the original markdown (49.99) and i personally bought mine for $37 when at college and i have heard of others getting them for $12 nowadays. so i was just wondering if there is something i should say or show to help move along the process. anyways thanks a lot guys for any info

P.s. i try to be super nice but still no cigar, i mean seriously no one ever goes into my k-mart, and these guys can't toss me a bone

Yeah, Kmart's "special". Most times, you should at least get someone to scan the item, as they don't update the pricetags.

In general, though, price-matching on clearance doesn't work, even in the same chain.

[quote name='evilmrhenry']Yeah, Kmart's "special". Most times, you should at least get someone to scan the item, as they don't update the pricetags.

In general, though, price-matching on clearance doesn't work, even in the same chain.[/quote]

oh?

I PM two DS games that dropped another 5 dollars and just today I returned Battlestations Midway (?) and Virtual Tennis 3 for 10 each only to learn both dropped to 5, so I ended up rebuying VT3 for 5.

I do still have my 360 hd-dvd add on drive that I bought from them a month ago for 25, but trying to find the receipt is impossible and they are being a pain in the ass trying to pull up the receipt data so I might not return/rebuy it because it was only 25 bucks (compared to the 180 I paid at bb 8 months ago)

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Did they scan it?
If not make them, and it should ring up $12
Thats what I did[/quote]

she typed in the code, I'm pretty sure she didn't scan it. shes a nice girl, and i hate to make her scan it again but I'm thinking that for $12 i might have to. Would the scan come up differently than if she typed in the code?

Hey Gumby, you posted in the right forum.

Generally, clearances vary from store to store. An object on clearance at Target in Homeville isn't always on clearance in in the Target in Townburg. Same goes for Kmarts, Sears, Walmart, Sams Club, and probably a few others.

I looked in the Kmart Clearance Thread which has mentioned the 360 HD player being on clearance for $12 for a while. They didn't have the UPC, but I found it for you by doing a little digging. It's 882224379663

Using that at UPC Database, you can print up a UPC to scan at your local Kmart (I think all Kmarts have scanners in their stores now like Target and Walmart... you just have to look harder in Kmart). So if you dont want to bug the girl at the Kmart counter, just print this up, bring it to your Kmart, and scan it. You'll find out if the HD players have dropped in price.

As for forcing or pushing a clearance, I really don't see that happening. You could try bringing in a friends receipt from another Kmart and seeing if they'll price match, but stores generally price match sales, not clearances.

Not to butt in here, Gwen, but I posted the HD-DVD UPC# in the Kmart thread SOMEPLACE I think. But, don't ask me which post, since I think it was easily like a week or two ago.

the clearance for the hd-dvd drives is nationwide. some kmarts are probably just lazy or do not have the enough emplyees to cover most areas of the store.. electronics for stores like kmart is basically just to get people in the store. it makes less money than other departments. hence the amount of money lost from the 360 hd-dvd (shipping + handling + advertising on their circulars, etc, etc).

theres way too many reasons why their pricing is inconsistent with other stores. here are some of them:

a) it could be just because that particular kmart doesnt really care much about their electronics section. basically they're lazy ass employees. this is very much like the behavior of Sears employees.

b) it also could be that they've sold several drives. its possible for such stores to keep them longer and that they should for that amount of price. for example if you look at the TRU website, youll notice that Rogue Galaxy is STILL $39.99. we all know that the price for that game is now $19.99 new.. it could any of the reasons i just mentioned.

c) regional and district managers also behave differently. they decide whether to put certain things on sale or not. as far as the 360 drive is concerned, every retailer that still had some on their inventory had lost a pretty penny. when i bought 2 of mine from 1 kmart it looked like its been sitting there since they received it from their warehouse.

the best way to get a real answer is to speak to a manager. ask them why haven't the drive gone down to what they're supposed to be. you might need to find a nice manager to tell you the reason. since one of their store policies for major retailers like these is not to tell anyone about their pricing strategies. i hope this helps.

bread's done
Back