Anybody else having major problems with Firefox 3.5?

sunnysky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Wow, I am sure hating the new firefox 3.5. I downloaded it with the understanding that some add-ons may not work. But instead of that problem, I have a major problem just getting pages to load. The only thing that seems to help is turning off the "Noscript" add-on. But even then, there are still problems with many websites.

I'm still on Firefox 2; 3 is a waste of resources, cool I guess if you like the IE/Apple style user-interface.

Check the forums, I have 3.5 works flawless. Although when I boot my PC up it tends to boot up slower now but after that I see a noticeable increase in everything speedwise.

3.5 works fine for me.

Well, it seems like pages take a bit longer to load. I'm not sure if that's something on my end, or if it's the browser. I only noticed it after upgrading, so I'm guessing the browser.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Although when I boot my PC up it tends to boot up slower now[/QUOTE]

That has exactly two things to do with FF: jack and shit.

No problems with 3.5 now that all of my extension have been updated.

I read something about a patch coming out in a few weeks.

[quote name='Nogib']That has exactly two things to do with FF: jack and shit.[/QUOTE]

No when I am on my dad's PC which has FF 3.5 when I boot it up, FF boots up slower than 3.0 for the first time. Even on my PC it takes about 20 seconds extra to launch for the first time over 3.0.

it takes 1.5-2.25 minutes to load. Closing out the only open tab freezes the browser. Shutting down the browser freezes it (less time than tab closing). The only plus side, it lead me to (hopefully) have found a solution to a problem to watching Youtube videos and the like.

I think I may just use IE8 for a few weeks until the come out with a patch.
I've turned of Noscript. But now that I have, a lot of pages don't load pictures. I'm guessing that I probably have an Add-on that needs a bit more bug fixing done. I guess I could turn them all of first, and see how things go from there. Probably a great idea actually. Much better than having to switch to IE.

I went back to 3.0.11. Pages with links to a lot of files (like over 300) freeze the browser. It's like it's trying to preload all the links.

No problems with the same sites after reverting to the older version.

[quote name='bickle']I went back to 3.0.11. Pages with links to a lot of files (like over 300) freeze the browser. It's like it's trying to preload all the links.

No problems with the same sites after reverting to the older version.[/QUOTE]

That would also be a good option. Although as slugish as it is, there are some good new features in 3.5. But nothing worth the pain in having to hit refresh a hundred times.

I've noticed sites take longer to load and I'm not liking that fact one bit. As soon as Chrome has adblocking abilities, I'm sold.

[quote name='SynGamer']I've noticed sites take longer to load and I'm not liking that fact one bit. As soon as Chrome has adblocking abilities, I'm sold.[/QUOTE]

Try Opera in the meantime, then ;)

In general, it's slower and more stuttery, especially when I try to scroll down when it's doing something. It also appears to be "doing something" more often, even when I'm not opening any new pages.

Occasionally, the CPU will go to 100% and get stuck there. Seems to happen on certain sites. I had to disable the latest Java plugins because they brought the whole thing down to a crawl.

It complained about not being able to use history or bookmarks after I had closed the browser once. I then couldn't kill the firefox.exe process. Like the Sorceror's Apprentice, every time I killed it, another one would instantiate.

Strongly considering going back to 3.4

Running perfectly here. 73 tabs and 13 add ons (with compatibility overridden on a few).

[quote name='seen']I'm still on Firefox 2; 3 is a waste of resources, cool I guess if you like the IE/Apple style user-interface.[/QUOTE]Ahahahahahaha. What the F?CK are you talking about?

FF3.5 is far, far better in terms of resources than FF2. And IE/Apple style interface? It's hardly any different from FF2.

[quote name='blandstalker']Strongly considering going back to 3.4[/QUOTE]Except there is no 3.4...

I've been having a problem with the address bar erasing the URL I'm at automatically. Like, I click a link, it loads the page, but then the address bar goes blank (so if I want to copy-paste the URL for something I have to refresh until it comes back)...

That's been the only problem so far.

Will that slow down the browser or affect it in any other way? If not, THANKS!

Edit: That made it worse. Oh well...

Last edited by a moderator:
What a self-righteous prick.

I use both IE8 and FF3.5 regularly. I've been using both since they had their second beta releases. Both, even then, have performed far better than their predecessors. Neither is slower, and neither crashes (normally).
No one wants to read a mindless rant with no redeeming value, epobirs. How about some fact-based criticism?

ppl do that all the time with politics..

"oh, imagine how differently the media would be treating this if the scandal were about !"

yawn

[quote name='Liquid 2']What a self-righteous prick.

I use both IE8 and FF3.5 regularly. I've been using both since they had their second beta releases. Both, even then, have performed far better than their predecessors. Neither is slower, and neither crashes (normally).
No one wants to read a mindless rant with no redeeming value, epobirs. How about some fact-based criticism?[/QUOTE]

You know, it was a rant but I don't think it was mindless.

As this thread and lots of anecdotal cases (including mine) are pointing out, there's something not quite right about Firefox 3.5.

I'm happy for you if it works flawlessly on your system, but I feel like I just got a severe downgrade. This is the first time I've updated Firefox and regretted it, but it really does seem like a POS that was rushed out the door.

At least it is on my system.

yeah, but firefox is free and open-source.. not sure how you can justify complaining about such a product under any circumstance.

My only complaint is that I can't completely turn off the awesome bar. I already went into about:config and messed with the matchonlytyped option, but it still does it with bookmarks. Grrrrr...

[quote name='MediaJunkie92']Mine works perfectly for me, I am so far enjoying the new firefox. I cannot wait for 4.0, and isn't 3.5 still in beta?[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was in beta until a few days ago. And when downloading it, they do warn that some add-on's may not work.
And by the way, I really don't think we will be 4.0 for at least a year or so.
I'm hoping and expecting however, that they will be getting some patches out soon for some of these lagging issues.
To those who are having NO problems, I'm envious. By any chance to you "no problems" people have incredibly fast ISP's? I'm at 9+mbps where I'm at.

I'm running XP MCE 2005 SP3 and 3.5 does start slower than 3.0. Also noscripts really slows down many pages. And some add-ins I use still aren't available.

Other than being slower, I haven't noticed any other differences between 3.0 and 3.5. But I won't put 3.5 on any of my other machines until the slowdown problems have been corrected. IMO, there just aren't enough differences to make a change.

a couple more problems I've noticed since upgrading.
A: From time to time, I've noticed up in the address bar when I'm on a secured site (https://) that the letters are RED instead of Green, thus giving me the impression the site is no longer secured.
B: I also have a problem sometimes when Right clicking on a link, that it doesn't pop up the mini menu giving me the "open tab" and other options.
C: Once a website "times out", it doesn't matter how many times I select "Refresh", Firefox automatically shows the same "page not available" mumbo jumbo.
D: quite often pages will load, but with ALL pictures un-available.
E: Sometimes a web page look more like something I'd expect to see on an OLD mobile phone with very limited information on the page. Just links.
I guess I should be sending this list to Mozilla, instead of bothering you people with it.

Does anyone else have issues with Gmail? It's running slow, crashes, I type faster than it can write on the screen (sometimes up to ten seconds in between letters). Looking at the resources shows it shooting up like a memory leak. This happens regardless of how many tabs I have open.

Extremely annoying.

I've seen C happen as well, sunnysky. It just flat out refuses to reload pages sometimes. But open a new tab/instance? It works, especially if I pull it from bookmarks. I.e., if I type in "gmail" in the address bar, it'll hang. New tab + opening bookmark works.

AHhhhhhh. It sure feels good to be back to 3.0.1.1.
I pay a lot of money for 10mbps download speed. I do NOT accept the use of a browser that makes me feel like I'm on dial up again.
I'll go back to 3.5, when they've fixed it.

Oh and one more thing. I have a feeling that Firefox 3.5 was causing issues with my PC in general (system resource hogging). With Firefox 3.5 installed, I was even having problems with IE8. AND when I reverted back to 3.0.1.1, the installation kept telling me firefox had to be closed before I could preceed. Well, it wasn't open as a window. I had to go into task Manager to stop the Firefox.exe Process.

No problems here at my work PC. 3.0.1.1 used to be fairly slow starting up and loading web pages (old computer with a Pentium IV). With 3.5, everything loads much faster now, especially gmail. I don't have many extensions installed but all have been compatible.

At home, I only have a crashing issue with the Paypal site. But that's attributed to shockwave. Once that extension is turned off, works fine. No noticeable performance difference on all my home PCs.

3.5 is buggy as shit. I work for Yahoo! IT and people call in every day with shit that doesnt work on their system after upgrading.

I haven't had any problems since I DOWNGRADED back to 3.0.1.1
I think they made a mistake with 3.5. It needed MUCH more beta time.
We are fortunate that they still have 3.0.1.1 on there site.

I had 3.5 for a day or two and loved that flash stuff actually worked again (It doesn't on any other 3.x for me) but it was taking 30 seconds to a minute just to load and it drove me crazy. Now I'm back to 3.0.1.1 until they get that straightened out.

I've noticed at work today that FF is much faster at launch time now that I upgraded to 3.5.1 (from 3.5). Will check when I get home, but that was my only major gripe with 3.5.

Well, it's an easy enough install. I guess it might be worth trying out for a few hours. And go back to 3.0.1.1 if needed (again).

[quote name='Rig']I've noticed at work today that FF is much faster at launch time now that I upgraded to 3.5.1 (from 3.5). Will check when I get home, but that was my only major gripe with 3.5.[/QUOTE]
That was one of the bugs they fixed with it. They also fixed a critical exploit with the JIT compiler.

Anyone who's running 3.5 should really get 3.5.1.

bread's done
Back