Anybody skipping work/school for Star Wars?

thehuskerfan

CAGiversary!
I'm contemplating using my "senior skip day" just for this

aniobi7.jpg

Um...can you say 12:01...no skip needed. Though, i won't be going to school anyway, cause I'll be in LA for E3 baby!

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I doubt it, I do hate crowds so. That, and I don't work a lot of hours :)[/QUOTE]

I hate movies crowds too... I'll go see some early afternoon showing on a weekday, however, when barely anyone will be there.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']Star Wars = Something I'm not interested in so that's a no[/QUOTE]

Sums me up too.

I have 2 finals on May 19, but they'll end at 1PM, which means I'll be seeing the afternoon or evening showing. I'm no star wars fan, so no need to watch it at 12:01am.

I had an offer to go see it at 12:01, but I hate theatre crowds, I generally don't like theatre seating no matter where I go, and I know there will be packed houses for a while. I will likely just wait till Lucas releases an EP 1-3 box set and just watch all three then, since I've never seen 1 or 2.

No, it's not that big of a deal that I'd miss classes to see it. I have enough leeway in my schedule that it's not a problem. I'll probably see it the weekend it comes out, though I hate the lack of parking spots on weekends by the main theater I go to.

Nah, not after the last two ones were so disappointing. I don't like the insane crowds either. I'll probably go a week or so after it's released.

I just took the day off to go, its no real fuss. It's something my cousin and I have done since Episode I, so it's habit.

I'm hard put to get excited about it. I read the graphic novel treatment while standing in a bookstore. So I've already seen how they wrap up loose ends at the last minute while creating a new one, albeit one easily explained since the person in question was never explicitly named, and leaving another lingering question about another character's knowledge and yet another's feigned ignorance or encroaching senility.

Beyond that it's a lot of pretty pictures I can wait until it's convenient to view. I only saw the first in the theater due to a much younger friend's enthusiasm and again as part of a digital cinema demo. Skipped seeing the second one in the theater entirely and that was probably best since others were spared having their enjoyment spoiled by my groaning at the painful attempts at romantic dialogue between two tree made to look human by CGI. It might have been more expedient to just cast actors.

I probably will even if I see it at 12:01. It's my senior year so I feel that I am entitled to skip at least one day for something so silly, and I didn't skip for "Senior Bunk Day" (the day before April vacation at my school).

I have gotten out of school for the last two times, and both times the theater had no one in there but me :D .So ya, I am taking off school one last time for the last star wars film.

While I liked Episodes 1 and 2, they weren't worth skipping school/work or going to a midnight showing for imo (and I didn't do either with both films). That being said, I'll assume the same for Episode 3. Episodes 4-6, on the other hand...

On another note, I actually attended school on my senior skip day. First, there was a senior breakfast at a local restaraunt (which I think was deliberately planned for that day to encourage seniors to actually attend school that day :lol: ). I remember one of the teachers telling everyone "go to school!" when it ended around 9am (and from what I remember, I don't remember seeing a good 3/4ths of the people who went to that breakfast attend that day). I had skipped some or all of the school day so much that I was pretty lucky that I was even passing my classes, so I figured I'd actually attend. We didn't do much in most of my classes since hardly anybody showed up. I remember watching a movie in one class and in another class I had before the end of the day we went out to the courtyard and just hung out there.

[quote name='Wombat5277']Don't hate me but I have press tickets for this Thursday (may 5), so I shouldn't have to miss work.[/QUOTE]
Too Late :)

[quote name='Moxio']It's tempting, but using a sick day on Star Wars release day is way too obvious for my boss.[/QUOTE]

You think that's bad. I asked for 4 days off during our busiest time of year at work for a "wedding in Indianapolis" and the stupid Atlanta paper ran an article about Star Wars Celebration 3. As soon as I got to work the following Tuesday, my boss said, "So how was the Star Wars convention?" Doh!

And to stay on topic, I will not be calling in the day after, but I will be seeing a midnight show if at all possible, which means I will be late to work.

I stopped going to the movies years ago because I had become completly sick of having the whole movie experience ruined by people who dont know how to shut the shaq-fu up doing the flick :(

Between cellphones and hushed conversations I just gave up. Spend $8 bucks for a ticket? Screw that, I'll spend twice that and just buy the DVD.

I saw the first 3 films in the theatres back in the day...today, there are few if any movies that make me want to rush out and fight a crowd to see a movie. My home setup isn't as big a screen, but everything else (including the digital sound) is equal or superior to seeing the film in a threate...and the environment is certainly superior :)

And if anyone talks or a cell phone rings, I can legally beat that person with an ax-handle!

A few friends and I are going to skip school to school on the 19th to see Star Wars. While seniors are not supposed to have a skip day at our school because we get out 10 days before other students, but I've only ever missed one class for a non school activity (which was signing up for college classes), so I've decided that I deserve a day off.

[quote name='HeadRusch']I stopped going to the movies years ago because I had become completly sick of having the whole movie experience ruined by people who dont know how to shut the shaq-fu up doing the flick :(

Between cellphones and hushed conversations I just gave up. Spend $8 bucks for a ticket? Screw that, I'll spend twice that and just buy the DVD.

I saw the first 3 films in the theatres back in the day...today, there are few if any movies that make me want to rush out and fight a crowd to see a movie. My home setup isn't as big a screen, but everything else (including the digital sound) is equal or superior to seeing the film in a threate...and the environment is certainly superior :)

And if anyone talks or a cell phone rings, I can legally beat that person with an ax-handle![/QUOTE]

Yes, the movie atmosphere is the worst that it's ever been. There's always something that happens that completely ruins it.

[quote name='Toireht']I have gotten out of school for the last two times, and both times the theater had no one in there but me :D .So ya, I am taking off school one last time for the last star wars film.[/QUOTE]

What time did you go?

My original plan was to watch Episodes 1 and 2 on Tuesday night, and then go to school on Wednesday. From there, I am going to get in line. I am taking my Game Cube, a TV, and Mario Party and playing outside the building in line. After I see the movie, I'll go home, sleep untill 10AM or so and then head out to see it again at noon. After I see it then, I head home, watch 4, 5, and 6. I then pass out on the couch and go to school on Friday.

I can only imagine it being 10 times worse going with acutal star wars freaks. I mean back in the day I had Bantha Tracks and was a member of the fanclub (along with 200 million of my peers), but today with all the mock lightsaber battles and Cinn-A-Bon wearing fratboys dressed like Princess Leia...UGH no thanks.

I want that kinda fun, I'll go see Rocky Horror =D

[quote name='WAJedi']My original plan was to watch Episodes 1 and 2 on Tuesday night, and then go to school on Wednesday. From there, I am going to get in line. I am taking my Game Cube, a TV, and Mario Party and playing outside the building in line. After I see the movie, I'll go home, sleep untill 10AM or so and then head out to see it again at noon. After I see it then, I head home, watch 4, 5, and 6. I then pass out on the couch and go to school on Friday.[/QUOTE]
That's what I'm talking about!

My friend, you are a real fan.

[quote name='WAJedi']I am taking my Game Cube, a TV, and Mario Party[/QUOTE]

If you have any of the Star Wars games, you have to bring them too!

I catch an early show Saturday morning.

The problem is that after seeing the commercials for the movie as well as the video game, I feel like I have already seen the movie.

I don't see any reason why I should skip school for Star Wars. I got class at 8 am that morning and a lab later at 12. I need all the energy I can get. I'm quite sure my housemates and friends would see it later again for many times, so i can just join them whenever they decide to see the matinee one.

[quote name='DigitalSpace']If you have any of the Star Wars games, you have to bring them too![/QUOTE]

I do, but I want to avoid split screen because I will only have a small TV. I was thinking about taking Star Wars Risk instead, but I'm not sure yet. I would any wind would knock down the little pieces.

Im going saturday...because some of my previous co-workers, have back breaking labor during the week. Im syked as hell though, id see it thursday, only to ask super star wars nerds questions about the series

Blah, I'm gonna hafta wait till my bday (may 21) since I'm flying to texas tomorrow for a conference and it's going on till the 20th :cry:

[quote name='weimerwanger']If I had a job to skip, I'd skip that shit using jedi mind tricks on my boss, who'd probably be a weak minded asshole anyways.[/QUOTE]

It's shocking you're not employed.

bread's done
Back