Anyone Been To A Broadway Show Lately?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
My wife's birthday is coming up and I was thinking about setting up a night out in NYC - dinner and a show maybe? I haven't been to anything in a while (The Lion King) so I don't know what's out there right now. In addition to that we've already seen Rent, Phantom, Miss Saigon, Les Mis, Caberet and maybe one or two others. Any ideas?

[quote name='TC']My girl saw Wicked at the Gershwin Theater and loved it.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm going to go for this. My sister recommended it too and she goes all the time. Tickets on StubHub are expensive ($150 minimum) - does anyone know what are considered the "best seats in the house" at the Gershwin (or generally). The seats up front are cheaper than the ones closer to the back (but then beyond a point they get cheaper again) and I'm just wondering why.

Anyone? My wife's birthday is TODAY and I need to figure this out! Thanks!!

Because of the stage picture you're presented.

If you're right in the very front you'll see the foreground of the stage and those performers very well, but you'll miss out a bit on some of the performers than are a little further back on the stage, as they'll be obscured by those in the fore-ground. (also, several theatres have lighting on the very edge of the stage, which even further obscures the stage-picture.

Right about in the middle of the theatre, you're getting the exact stage picture that the producer of the show intends, and as such, for those sort of seats, you'd expect to pay a premium.

(I've been studying with Second City for about the past two years, and I've had this explained to me by the producers/class teacher on leading up to the first publicly open show we gave).

Ahh, I get it now. Makes sense. I think I'm going to go for it anyway. Wicked is going to be about $400 for good seats - we could see Chicago for $300 though. I don't know.

Whoa $400? Damn, I know we're on different coasts/venues but I took my lady to Wicked in June and got really good floor level seats at less than $300. Try craigslist maybe? I bought mine a couple months in advance though.

Also that show was really entertaining. I was skeptical about going and was even close to letting her take one of her friends with her but we made a night out of it and it was awesome.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Whoa $400? Damn, I know we're on different coasts/venues but I took my lady to Wicked in June and got really good floor level seats at less than $300. Try craigslist maybe? I bought mine a couple months in advance though.

Also that show was really entertaining. I was skeptical about going and was even close to letting her take one of her friends with her but we made a night out of it and it was awesome.[/QUOTE]

It is really expensive... for $180/ticket I can be in the first row in the upper mezzanine in the center. I might bite on those. This is all on StubHub because apparently 2 months in advance isn't enough lead time (I'm trying for a Saturday in December before Christmas). The tickets are sold out on ticketmaster and at the box office.

I can get decent seats to Chicago for $157/ticket - I'm thinking about those too. We don't go to shows nearly as much as we should since we live so close so I'm thinking about splurging a little.

[quote name='javeryh']It is really expensive... for $180/ticket I can be in the first row in the upper mezzanine in the center.

I'm thinking about splurging a little.[/QUOTE]

Those sound good and hell you don't go often you may as well get good seats when you do.

[quote name='TC']Those sound good and hell you don't go often you may as well get good seats when you do.[/QUOTE]

I agree - I'm pulling the trigger today.

Has anyone used TicketOwl.com before? It looks legit but the tickets are a little cheaper. I've never had a problem with StubHub though and it would suck to show up and get turned away for fake tickets or something...

I was about to post... shit is EXPENSIVE... they wonder why Broadway is doing so poorly financially... who the hell can afford to go?

I saw Avenue Q with the fiance' on V-Day... it was like 600 bucks after dinner and everything... crazy.

Show was amazing though.

[quote name='dinovelvet']You could watch A Steady Rain with Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman, though there's no prancing about in it.[/QUOTE]
007 and Wolverine but no prancing? Screw that!

bread's done
Back