Anyone do 3D animation/modelling?

coolcps

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just wonder if any cags are down with the 3D stuff, if you are what program do you use? I use Softimage XSI, we had it in a class in highschool and it was self learning, I managed to learn some stuff (lots of screwing around though). I want to try and get into 3DMax just because there are a lot more tutorials to be had on the net.

Post anything cool that you've done, I have only recently got back into it, but I will post something later.

I made a short cartoon with a cheaper, less powerful progam than Softimage. Check my sig for the link.

I wouldn't advise jumping on the 3D Max yet. I think more people in the industry use Maya although Softimage is doing well too. 3D Max I'm told has a pretty high learning curve.

I am shitty and barely did any work on it since I learned it only to work with a proffesional game engine... it was practice mainly and I think I can do alot better (4 years later)

work2.jpg

work.jpg

Xevious - Oh yea I remember randomly watching that from your sig quite awhile back, what program did ya use for that? Something like lightwave I'm guessing?

Relentless - That is pretty cool if you got the robot guy all fully animated, I really want to learn more about making a bone structure and life form animation stuff.

Here is by far the coolest thing that I have made (did it when I had a good amount of free time last semester), it is a pretty accurate model of the AS50 .50cal rifle, well as accurate as I could get from a few pictures. It is really sloppy though, no way I could get in a game, it was a lot of polys. I can't get my darn scene of it to open up after I reformatted so I don't know if I will ever get to try and skin it.

And here is my first shot at a human (very cartoony, materials are just slapped on there)

Very much a work in progress, but it is already better than I thought I could do.

[quote name='coolcps']Xevious - Oh yea I remember randomly watching that from your sig quite awhile back, what program did ya use for that? Something like lightwave I'm guessing?

Relentless - That is pretty cool if you got the robot guy all fully animated, I really want to learn more about making a bone structure and life form animation stuff.

Here is by far the coolest thing that I have made (did it when I had a good amount of free time last semester), it is a pretty accurate model of the AS50 .50cal rifle, well as accurate as I could get from a few pictures. It is really sloppy though, no way I could get in a game, it was a lot of polys. I can't get my darn scene of it to open up after I reformatted so I don't know if I will ever get to try and skin it.

And here is my first shot at a human (very cartoony, materials are just slapped on there)

Very much a work in progress, but it is already better than I thought I could do.[/QUOTE]

nice work! I'm taking maya classes next simester, so I look forward to that.

game modeling is a bitch. It's hard as fuck to make something look good with low polys.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']nice work! I'm taking maya classes next simester, so I look forward to that.

game modeling is a bitch. It's hard as fuck to make something look good with low polys.[/QUOTE]

I would love to take a class for Maya/XSI/3DMax, I think it would be pretty awesome to have some formal teaching on stuff like this. In highschool I got to go to a two day seminar for XSI and it really helped me get into it, its amazing how much easier things are when there is an expert in the room who you can ask questions too on any problems the whole time.

Yea, with game modelling I am assuming there is a ton of bump mapping and special techniques that I don't know the right way to go about doing, so I tend to model every little detail with polys. I also really wanna try some UV unwrapping and mapping, its so darn tedious though.

I'll be taking some classes after graduation, because my college is way too small for anything like that. I can't wait. I have Maya PLE on my laptop, but it's an old mac and doesn't run it too well, I have played around a bit.

[quote name='coolcps']Xevious - Oh yea I remember randomly watching that from your sig quite awhile back, what program did ya use for that? Something like lightwave I'm guessing?
.[/quote]
I used a program called Carrara which I am getting ready to abandon pretty soon. I'm getting a new computer this summer and I will be using Zbrush and Softimage.

Here are some rough pics I made in Zbrush- its supposed to me a muscular Troll creature (Actually I'm just making it up as I go along).
moreZbrushExperiments.jpg

moreZbrushExperiments2.jpg

Its nothing to take seriously. I'm still learning the program and I have a long way to go. (It has a High learning curve)

Felt like something fun, made some glasses I have. I gotta make the lenses better and change up the materials, but I think they are looking kinda cool.

Here are some work-in-progress Lizard Heads:

LizardHead2.jpg

LizardHead.jpg

EDIT: I made this Lizard head while working on a tutorial...I'm learning the software right now..

i went to school for 3d animation down in Florida , in a shit hole that use to be called International Fine Arts College. What a freaking joke...now 7 years later, I am still paying off the loans and not really close to working in my dream job. Should have studied Graphic Design/Film/Video... much more easier field to get into then 3d. After all these years I am sick of 3d animation.

I want to be an industrial designer so this is something I need to start learning. I dont know shit about the different programs so I will probably keep checking this thread :D

[quote name='squirrel007']I want to be an industrial designer so this is something I need to start learning. I dont know shit about the different programs so I will probably keep checking this thread :D[/quote]

Well there are many specialized programs for industry design. I heard good things about Rhino 3D. You should also check out another forum www.cgtalk.com. I frequent that forum a lot.

[quote name='ITDEFX']i went to school for 3d animation down in Florida , in a shit hole that use to be called International Fine Arts College. What a freaking joke...now 7 years later, I am still paying off the loans and not really close to working in my dream job. Should have studied Graphic Design/Film/Video... much more easier field to get into then 3d. After all these years I am sick of 3d animation.[/QUOTE]

stay out of Graphic Design... the field is too cluttered with people. Take Electronic Intermedia since it focuses more on 3d modeling and whatnot.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']stay out of Graphic Design... the field is too cluttered with people. Take Electronic Intermedia since it focuses more on 3d modeling and whatnot.[/quote]i agree, i don't need any more competition.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']stay out of Graphic Design... the field is too cluttered with people. Take Electronic Intermedia since it focuses more on 3d modeling and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

uh...... NO ... I learned the hard way that I can't model shit. I more good at video editing/illustrator/after effects/dvd authoring and so on then 3d stuff.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']stay out of Graphic Design... the field is too cluttered with people. Take Electronic Intermedia since it focuses more on 3d modeling and whatnot.[/quote]

I hate to say this but 3D is crowded too. I'm working on my demo reel right now but there guareentee (Spelling?) that I will get a job. It's foolish not to try though. Worst case scenario, I start to work on another short film and enter it in festivals, etc.

I am getting a new computer this summer with the new Softimage, the new Painter and Zbrush to start me off. So I'll be doing good.

[quote name='ITDEFX']uh...... NO ... I learned the hard way that I can't model shit. I more good at video editing/illustrator/after effects/dvd authoring and so on then 3d stuff.[/QUOTE]

Electronic Intermedia focuses more on those actually than 3d, so you're in luck.

Just a heads up. If you pick up the current issue of 3D world (it has the top 100 3D movies on the cover), you can get a free copy of (non-demo/ Full fledged) Carrara 5 pro.

I used Carrara 3 for my animated film and I recommend it if you want to try out a 3D program. Most 3D programs takes anywhere from 6 months to a year to learn; This program has a shallower learning curve than the others.

A little personal note here: I used to be a long time Carrara user but I no longer use it when its parent company got sold to DAZ (I'm not a fan of DAZ). I've switched to Softimage XSI and I found that my skills translated nicely.

So this is a good program to start off with ...

3DS Max is awesome, you just have to know how to use it, it's definately one of the best ones with the best features, but learning it could be hard, but I started learning when I was 14 and I had no problems...
You could also get a student license for it for about $150... So it's not expensive if you're a student

bread's done
Back