Anyone do any recording on their computer?

gambitmachete

CAGiversary!
My old digital recorder crapped out on me a couple weeks ago, and I just got a laptop for law school (with a good sound card) so I'm gonna try to start recording music directly onto my computer. The problem is, I know jack shit about how to do it. Does anyone know any good software to use (besides Pro tools) or anything about good USB audio inputs for guitars and mics?

I do, or, rather, did my home recording with Cakewalk Home Studio. I picked up a copy on the cheap from eBay a few years ago. The overall quality was fair, but my soundcard at the time was shit, so I’m sure that contributed. :)

No clue about USB inputs. I used an amp and/or my PA as a preamp and slapped a 1/8” stereo adapter onto the 1/4” output to plug in.

Good luck in your recording endeavors!

Personally, no. I've got a friend who runs a mixer through his external sound card into cakewalk ... seems to work pretty well though I can't get anymore specific than that.

All you really need is this
just connec it to the line in your computer and enable it in your sound properties. Then just use any recording program to record the incoming sound. Don't even need to bother with USB. The also sell 1/8th plug to RCA cables for any other device you need to run to the computer, check radio shack.

Atleast for my band we use a soundmixer with 4 different inputs hooked up directly to the Mic input and we use MAGIX music maker for software but we are supposed to be getting some studio quality sound mixing software here soon when we get the new practice area finished this weekend, will update.

[quote name='1modernboy']I do, or, rather, did my home recording with Cakewalk Home Studio. I picked up a copy on the cheap from eBay a few years ago. The overall quality was fair, but my soundcard at the time was shit, so I’m sure that contributed. :)

No clue about USB inputs. I used an amp and/or my PA as a preamp and slapped a 1/8” stereo adapter onto the 1/4” output to plug in.

Good luck in your recording endeavors![/QUOTE]

Okay cool, I was actualy leaning toward Cakewalk from what I had read so I'm glad I got a reply from someone who had a good experience with it.

[quote name='sisco1986']All you really need is this
just connec it to the line in your computer and enable it in your sound properties. Then just use any recording program to record the incoming sound. Don't even need to bother with USB. The also sell 1/8th plug to RCA cables for any other device you need to run to the computer, check radio shack.[/QUOTE]

And just using that sounded good? I was thinking about getting something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/701368

I don't really need anything SUPER nice sounding, because I like more of a low-fi sound anyway. I just want to have something that sounds semi-professional (doesn't sound like total shit.)

[quote name='sisco1986']All you really need is this
just connec it to the line in your computer and enable it in your sound properties. Then just use any recording program to record the incoming sound. Don't even need to bother with USB. The also sell 1/8th plug to RCA cables for any other device you need to run to the computer, check radio shack.[/QUOTE]

Is that available from any U.S. sites?

bread's done
Back