Anyone else disappointed with the touch screen so far?

gambitmachete

CAGiversary!
If you take a look at all of the top tier DS games that have come out up until now (Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Phoenix Wright, Sonic Rush, etc.), most either make using the touch screen optional or hardly use it at all. As a result, when I play my DS I find myself using the normal d-pad the vast majority of the time and only getting out my stylus occasionally. The only real exception to this so far for me has been Meteos.

Nintendogs, Electroplankton, and Trauma Center had the kind of innovative touch screen use I was hoping for when I bought my DS, but the games were flawed for other reasons. Kirby and Wario Ware utilized it nicely too, but I never felt in those games that using the touch screen was better than using the regular controls in similar games. I mean, did anyone really think that the controls in Kirby were better than the ones in the 2D Mario games or that WW: Touched was better than the original Wario Ware?

At first I thought that maybe it was just taking awhile for developers to come up with some new concepts, but when I look at the list of 2006 DS releases, the only big games that appear to make major use of the touch screen are the Brain training games, Metroid Prime, and Pokemon Trozei (well, I'M looking forward to it :lol:.) The huge sellers are gonna be the new Mario and Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, and I'm sure they'll have basically the same controls they've always had.

The other thing is, after having played my DS for over a year now, I'm not really sure if this is all that bad because I find that it can get uncomfortable fairly quickly to be holding the DS in one hand while holding the styus in the other.

I'm not trying to crap all over the DS here, I think it's a great system and I DO really like the fact that it has a second screen (no pausing to look at the maps/menus and fun to have that extra space for your character to move around in), it's just that the games haven't gotten as creative with the touch screen as I thought/hoped they would back in 2004. Agree/disagree?

In my opinion, the problem with implementing the touch screen is that it's difficult to use the stylus and buttons at the same time. While it is possible to hold the DS and one hand and use buttons along with the stylus in the other hand, it's not stable or comfortable. The little thumb pad doesn't work well enough to allow for good control, as seen by Mario 64. This means that for a game to use the touch screen well, the controls have to be entirely stylus based. As mentioned, some great games have been made that are entirely stylus based (Nintendogs, Electroplankton, Trauma Center, Kirby, Warioware and Ouendan). However, without easy access to any buttons, I think it won't be easy to come up with new, creative forms of gameplay with just the touch-screen. That doesn't mean that there won't be great stylus based games to come, but that there are limitations with how the touch-screen can be used comfortably.

With that said, I'm a little curious how Mario Basketball is going to work. From what I remember, the touch screen is used for dribbling, so it would be impossible, or at least a major pain, to use the d-pad and buttons to move, shoot and play defense. I don't know how they could make a basketball game entirely stylus based so I really am wondering how this game will solve these control problems.

If you look at it that way, yes, it's been a bit of a letdown. I look at it in the sense that sometimes I want to play a more 'traditional' style of game, and use the D-pad. If I get bored with that, then I can jump to one of the more creative, stylus-based games.

I love the DS, but don't care for the dual-screens/touchscreen. I still would have rather had an evolved GBA style handheld. Similar to the clamshell design on the GBA, but thinner with a larger screen, four face buttons, and graphics in between the N64 and Gamecube.

To me the touch screen really only can help in the PC-style point and click game department, but it can't even really go there because the screens are too small. Not to mention unlike a mouse, when using the stylus you're actually blocking off a major part of you view of the screen. Other than that the only really gaming thing it does better is menu-wise stuff which doesn't justify the change IMO. Some may say, "but what about Nintendogs and Kirby?" For me personally, Nintendogs lost it's charm after a few hours, and Kirby although fun, is still best as a true platform game. It just gets boring dragging the stylus, and using it to control a game.

I mean really, look at it, what are the DS's best games? Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Tony Hawk, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga 2, and Castlevania. All mostly non-touch screen based games. Then think about games like Yoshi Touch & Go, Nintendogs, Pokemon Dash, Kirby, and Warioware: Touched.... they all lost their charm very quickly. The best game that utilized the touch screen IMO was and is Zoo Keeper... a PC game. I just hope developers start making more traditional games for the DS, and don't feel pressured to involve the touch screen if it's unnessescary.

The only things I can really see the touchscreen/second screen being useful for are thigns that the DS doesn't have enough power to do such as a web browser, an update that made Pictochat a fleshed out online IM program, and PC style adventure/point and click games.

Basically, what I feel is that the design of the DS is flawed, from the useless Pictochat, to Nintendo havign cold feet about going online during the first year of the DS's release thus further flawing what could have been an online IM service/web browser or other useful tocuh screen features. The fact the it's just not good to have a touchscreen for a pure gaming device especially one marketed at kids who will have a high chance of a damaged screen. Now it's waaay too late in the game to change it, but Nintendo got lucky because they released some kick ass games for it once they started going back the more traditional style..

Well, the touch screen in relation to games existing right now is indeed lacking. There just really isn't a killer app game that will make the touch screen worthwhile. I do think that will change with Metroid Prime Hunters, although other major franchises will likely continue to underuse the touch feature. Frankly, a genre that would benefit the most due to excessive amounts of menus is the RPG genre, and its been HEAVILY underrepresented...hopefully someone will release an RPG that uses the touch screen for menu navigaton and inventory control.

Still, I'm not going to say the experiment is over quite yet...there are still a lot of unexplored ideas to work off of...

One word: Meteos.

That, and the observation that Kirby would've controlled better with the D-pad isn't the point. Of course it would've. It was a whole new way to control a character in a platformer--the whole point that kirby has no real control over where he's going is what make CC a fun game. It would've been kinda bland with the Dpad, but with the stylus, it's a blast. :)

I am glad that Nintendo has shown an artists restraint with the stylus, knowing when to stop. It is a great tool, but if all the games either forced me to only use the stylus or, worse, required that I go back and forth between the two constantly, I would hate it.

The best part about the stylus is that it is revolutionary to gameplay, yet at the same time is an unobtrusive part of the experience.

Your way of looking at it sounds like you DON'T want to play in new ways. I'll admit, most DS games don't really need touch screen or the dual screens.

But is using the D-Pad to play a game better than the touch screen? Probably not... but would you rather play a game a new way or play it the same old way?

We've been using D-pads for over a decade before Mario 64 and the N64 came out and revolutionized control with the analong stick. Did we need analog? No. But it was hell of a lot better playing SM64 with analog than the D-pad. The DS might not be as revolutionary but there are options for developers to make something unique (Meteos, Nintendogs, etc.) if they feel like they're up to it.

Oh, and though I may complain about most games using the second screen for maps... Castlevania DoS proved me wrong. It beats having to bring up the menu every time you think you're lost.

I think the DS is why the classic controller shell for the Revolution is a bad idea. If people arent forced to use it, they wont.

Naturally the DS is a different situation, with the stylus taking away your right or left hand that could be on more buttons.

Now the DS is/has been a proven seller, you can probably expect to see a lot of hot new titles soon to make use of it, like Ubisoft's whatsit that lets you draw spells, which I would expect to be like it was in Arx Fatalis.

SERIOUSLY fuckING SHAME ON EVERYONE HERE!!! No one mentioned Pac-Pix. This game was passed off by most reviews as just a tech demo. However in my opinion it has used the touch screen the best out of any game on the DS thus far. It's creative and fun. It doesn't have to be a super long game because it is addictive. I finished the game and didn't feel slighted one bit because I felt I got my money out of it. Great game.

I agree not a lot of games are using the touch screen to its full capability but...I also see it as an option not a necessity as some have mentioned. The dual screens have also been used for more than just touch options such as Sonic Rush and Metroid Pinball where the action follows two screens. I think pinball definitely works better seeing the whole virtual machine at once rather than following the ball around it.

There are a few games that take advantage of it such as Kirby, and Meteos but overall most games haven't really tapped into as much as they should. The problem is for most people it's just to difficult to us the stylus and the buttons at the same time.

i think the touch screen is bossical. yoshi touch and go, kirby, meteos, trauma center, and bust-a-move have been sweet as hell with the touch screen. you can just set the ds down on a tabletop and play the shit out of it with one hand. you can use the other hand to touch other things!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I think the DS is why the classic controller shell for the Revolution is a bad idea. If people arent forced to use it, they wont.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement for the DS as well. I mean look at Phoenix Wright. You can play the entire game using only the stylus but I'm sure many people just used the D-Pad and buttons because they didn't want to whip out the stylus. In my opinion, using the stylus made the game more of a PC adventure game than of a regular console game. Some people say only the 5th case is tailored for the DS, but it's much easier to use the stylus to look for evidence, navigate the menus, etc., in the previous four cases as well.

Yes, I do agree the touch screen isn't getting touched enough, but even still touchy or not, the second screen is VERY helpful. One thing you may not notice is how much easier it is to go through menus when you can just "Touch" the buttons instead of having to move a selection thingy around. Daigasso [Jam with the Band (US)] is a perfect example, Sure that game could be played without the touch screen, but adding in the Touch Pannels and Touch Menus the game becomes much easier to navigate and select things.

All in all the message I'm trying to say is:

The second screen is extremely helpful, not just for adding in features to games, but to make simple tasks... more simple!

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Meteos, Kirby, Nintendogs, Warioware, and Pictochat are enough touch screen utilization for me.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say something similar and add that I can't wait for more games to use the touch screen. I really liked how Nintendogs used the screen. It was really cool.

[quote name='Vinny']Your way of looking at it sounds like you DON'T want to play in new ways. I'll admit, most DS games don't really need touch screen or the dual screens.

But is using the D-Pad to play a game better than the touch screen? Probably not... but would you rather play a game a new way or play it the same old way?

We've been using D-pads for over a decade before Mario 64 and the N64 came out and revolutionized control with the analong stick. Did we need analog? No. But it was hell of a lot better playing SM64 with analog than the D-pad. The DS might not be as revolutionary but there are options for developers to make something unique (Meteos, Nintendogs, etc.) if they feel like they're up to it.

Oh, and though I may complain about most games using the second screen for maps... Castlevania DoS proved me wrong. It beats having to bring up the menu every time you think you're lost.[/QUOTE]

You're partly right - I don't want to play in new ways just for the sake of playing in a new way when the old way is what the game is better suited to. Most of the best DS games thus far are remakes of games that were created with a traditional control scheme in mind, so obviously most people will feel more comfortable using the traditional controls to play them. I'm not gonna move my character around in Animal Crossing with the stylus just because I can when using the d-pad feels more natural, but I will get the stylus out when I'm transferring a bunch of items to Tom Nook because it's easier that way.

When I decided to buy a DS, I did so for two reasons - new versions of traditional games that I love, like Mario Kart and Advance Wars, and new types of games that could only be done with the touch screen, like Trauma Center. So far, the good games have fallen heavily into the first category. I don't have any problem with that, as I like being able to play portable versions of my favorite console games and I'm glad we aren't forced to use the stylus to play them. I was just hoping there would be a few more touch screen only games at this point that would make you say "holy fuck, this is such an awesome new way to play video games!" Nintendogs was the closest thing to that for me, it just got kinda boring after a couple weeks.

[quote name='DMFunk']The second screen is extremely helpful, not just for adding in features to games, but to make simple tasks... more simple![/QUOTE]

Totally. The second screen really is great for menus and stuff like that. It'll be awesome to have my Pokedex and items and all that displayed down there when Pokemon D/P come out. :mrgreen:

[quote name='encendido5']I agree with this statement for the DS as well. I mean look at Phoenix Wright. You can play the entire game using only the stylus but I'm sure many people just used the D-Pad and buttons because they didn't want to whip out the stylus. In my opinion, using the stylus made the game more of a PC adventure game than of a regular console game. Some people say only the 5th case is tailored for the DS, but it's much easier to use the stylus to look for evidence, navigate the menus, etc., in the previous four cases as well.[/QUOTE]

I didn't like using the stylus for the first four cases because it got annoying to be tapping the bottom screen every two seconds when someone was talking. However, if the next Phoenix Wright game uses the touch screen like the 5th case does, that will be my touch screen killer app. I actually started this topic because I freaking loved using the stylus to spray luminol fluid and examine evidence in that 5th case, and I was wishing there were more awesome uses of the touch screen like that.

No disappointments here... the touch screen has exceeded my expectations. It's really helped to facilitate my Animal Crossing addiction, and games like Meteos and Wario Ware Touched are solid good times.

The great thing about the DS is it has so many innovative features. You can make a great game using any or all of them. If a feature isn't used for a particular game to its full potential is not the real question, the question is whether it's a good game. The features are for the game, not the game for the features. But with all the features: touch screen, microphone, dual screen, wireless, WiFi, etc, games have a wide assortment of tools to be truly great.

I personally thought Kirby was great.

Well with around 25-30 years of games that don't use a touch screen I think expecting there to be a gajillion touch screen games is a little unrealistic. I think Meteos, Yoshi, Warioware, Trauma Center, Nintendogs, etc. use it very well and that seems good enough to me, they're all great games. Sometimes the touch screen elements of games are pretty forced, like the special stages on sonic, but those seemed pretty well made to me as well, and of course a completely touch screen sonic side scroller makes absolutely no sense.

If you've played PDA games, you'll see that there are mostly puzzle games that require a stylus, but there are good ones and the ds has taken advantage of most of their outlets. Using the screen as an analog is a reasonably good idea, it probably works better for looking in FPSes than it did for movement in Mario 64 (but I don't know, I haven't played an FPS on DS), but it worked decently in Mario 64, at least better than the D-pad IMO. Does Advance Wars use the D-pad for movement? (I haven't played it) The touch screen seems really well suited for strategy games like AW or AOE and it would be easier to go through menus in an RPG or any other game with a shitload of menus.

Anyway, to end this long rambling huge paragraph , I think that they've done a good job of using the additions they've made to the DS and if they don't use them in every game, so what? Just adding an extra touch screen doesn't suddenly make older games not fun or require them to change, it just adds many more opportunities for different and fun games.

EDIT: yeah I split that paragraph up...

[quote name='SpazX']Well with around 25-30 years of games that don't use a touch screen I think expecting there to be a gajillion touch screen games is a little unrealistic. I think Meteos, Yoshi, Warioware, Trauma Center, Nintendogs, etc. use it very well and that seems good enough to me, they're all great games. Sometimes the touch screen elements of games are pretty forced, like the special stages on sonic, but those seemed pretty well made to me as well, and of course a completely touch screen sonic side scroller makes absolutely no sense.

If you've played PDA games, you'll see that there are mostly puzzle games that require a stylus, but there are good ones and the ds has taken advantage of most of their outlets. Using the screen as an analog is a reasonably good idea, it probably works better for looking in FPSes than it did for movement in Mario 64 (but I don't know, I haven't played an FPS on DS), but it worked decently in Mario 64, at least better than the D-pad IMO. Does Advance Wars use the D-pad for movement? (I haven't played it) The touch screen seems really well suited for strategy games like AW or AOE and it would be easier to go through menus in an RPG or any other game with a shitload of menus.

Anyway, to end this long rambling huge paragraph , I think that they've done a good job of using the additions they've made to the DS and if they don't use them in every game, so what? Just adding an extra touch screen doesn't suddenly make older games not fun or require them to change, it just adds many more opportunities for different and fun games.

EDIT: yeah I split that paragraph up...[/QUOTE]

I didn't say I wanted the touch screen to be used in all games. In fact, I'd rather it not be used at all in games that don't call for it than have to do half assed shit like drawing the symbols in Castlevania (worst part of the game, IMO). I'd just like more than one totally awesome touch screen game (Meteos). The rest of the games you listed were just okay by most accounts.

Well I reread the thread and nuked my original post because it doesn't apply.

Looking around I don't see anyone that's really disappointed with the touch screen except you. What is it, exactly, that you are looking for?

[quote name='62t']Pokemon Trozei is really zookeeper with pokemon characters.[/QUOTE]

Oh really? Then you apparently haven't PLAYED the game.

I got the Japanese version at launch and, while SIMILAR to Zoo Keeper, its a different game. The goal isn't just to clear the screen, but you have to "catch" (clear) a certain number or type of Pokemon to advance. The interface is very different too (in visual style).

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you shouldn't bad mouth a game you haven't actually played. :roll:

Back on topic, I agree that the touch screen hasn't been implemented very well in EVERY game on DS, but there are some games that are downright EXCELLENT.

If you haven't had a chance to try them, give Daigasso Band Brothers (AKA: Jam with the Band) and Jump Super Stars a chance.

Also: Pac Pix, Wario Ware: Touched, & Feel the Magic are pretty great examples of the touch screen's cool-factor.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Oh really? Then you apparently haven't PLAYED the game.

I got the Japanese version at launch and, while SIMILAR to Zoo Keeper, its a different game. The goal isn't just to clear the screen, but you have to "catch" (clear) a certain number or type of Pokemon to advance. The interface is very different too (in visual style).

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you shouldn't bad mouth a game you haven't actually played. :roll:

Back on topic, I agree that the touch screen hasn't been implemented very well in EVERY game on DS, but there are some games that are downright EXCELLENT.

If you haven't had a chance to try them, give Daigasso Band Brothers (AKA: Jam with the Band) and Jump Super Stars a chance.

Also: Pac Pix, Wario Ware: Touched, & Feel the Magic are pretty great examples of the touch screen's cool-factor.[/QUOTE]

So I gotta ask... is Pokemon Trozei good? And would Jump Superstars be fun even though I'm not really into manga? I'm thinking of importing that and Ouendan. It seems there's a chance Jam with the Band will be released in the U.S., so I'll wait on that one.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Oh really? Then you apparently haven't PLAYED the game.

Also: Pac Pix, Wario Ware: Touched, & Feel the Magic are pretty great examples of the touch screen's cool-factor.[/QUOTE]
well dud of couse there are some differences. There is Ditto which you can use for any block and there are boss battles. There are some difference but the basic game play is the same.

Of couse using that logic Zookeepr is really Yoshi Cookie. There is nothing wrong with Trozei having the same gameplay, it is just that Trozei is going to cost a lot than Zookeeper.

As for Jump Super Star, it is decent title on its own but being familar with the characters really add a lot to the game.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Well I reread the thread and nuked my original post because it doesn't apply.

Looking around I don't see anyone that's really disappointed with the touch screen except you. What is it, exactly, that you are looking for?[/QUOTE]

I'm the only one that's disappointed with the touch screen utilization so far?

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I love the DS, but don't care for the dual-screens/touchscreen. I still would have rather had an evolved GBA style handheld. Similar to the clamshell design on the GBA, but thinner with a larger screen, four face buttons, and graphics in between the N64 and Gamecube.

To me the touch screen really only can help in the PC-style point and click game department, but it can't even really go there because the screens are too small. Not to mention unlike a mouse, when using the stylus you're actually blocking off a major part of you view of the screen. Other than that the only really gaming thing it does better is menu-wise stuff which doesn't justify the change IMO. Some may say, "but what about Nintendogs and Kirby?" For me personally, Nintendogs lost it's charm after a few hours, and Kirby although fun, is still best as a true platform game. It just gets boring dragging the stylus, and using it to control a game.

I mean really, look at it, what are the DS's best games? Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Tony Hawk, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga 2, and Castlevania. All mostly non-touch screen based games. Then think about games like Yoshi Touch & Go, Nintendogs, Pokemon Dash, Kirby, and Warioware: Touched.... they all lost their charm very quickly. The best game that utilized the touch screen IMO was and is Zoo Keeper... a PC game. I just hope developers start making more traditional games for the DS, and don't feel pressured to involve the touch screen if it's unnessescary.

The only things I can really see the touchscreen/second screen being useful for are thigns that the DS doesn't have enough power to do such as a web browser, an update that made Pictochat a fleshed out online IM program, and PC style adventure/point and click games.

Basically, what I feel is that the design of the DS is flawed, from the useless Pictochat, to Nintendo havign cold feet about going online during the first year of the DS's release thus further flawing what could have been an online IM service/web browser or other useful tocuh screen features. The fact the it's just not good to have a touchscreen for a pure gaming device especially one marketed at kids who will have a high chance of a damaged screen. Now it's waaay too late in the game to change it, but Nintendo got lucky because they released some kick ass games for it once they started going back the more traditional style..[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mrplow1817']In my opinion, the problem with implementing the touch screen is that it's difficult to use the stylus and buttons at the same time. While it is possible to hold the DS and one hand and use buttons along with the stylus in the other hand, it's not stable or comfortable. The little thumb pad doesn't work well enough to allow for good control, as seen by Mario 64. This means that for a game to use the touch screen well, the controls have to be entirely stylus based. As mentioned, some great games have been made that are entirely stylus based (Nintendogs, Electroplankton, Trauma Center, Kirby, Warioware and Ouendan). However, without easy access to any buttons, I think it won't be easy to come up with new, creative forms of gameplay with just the touch-screen. That doesn't mean that there won't be great stylus based games to come, but that there are limitations with how the touch-screen can be used comfortably.

With that said, I'm a little curious how Mario Basketball is going to work. From what I remember, the touch screen is used for dribbling, so it would be impossible, or at least a major pain, to use the d-pad and buttons to move, shoot and play defense. I don't know how they could make a basketball game entirely stylus based so I really am wondering how this game will solve these control problems.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Well, the touch screen in relation to games existing right now is indeed lacking. There just really isn't a killer app game that will make the touch screen worthwhile. I do think that will change with Metroid Prime Hunters, although other major franchises will likely continue to underuse the touch feature. Frankly, a genre that would benefit the most due to excessive amounts of menus is the RPG genre, and its been HEAVILY underrepresented...hopefully someone will release an RPG that uses the touch screen for menu navigaton and inventory control.

Still, I'm not going to say the experiment is over quite yet...there are still a lot of unexplored ideas to work off of...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kill3r7']There are a few games that take advantage of it such as Kirby, and Meteos but overall most games haven't really tapped into as much as they should. The problem is for most people it's just to difficult to us the stylus and the buttons at the same time.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DMFunk']Yes, I do agree the touch screen isn't getting touched enough, but even still touchy or not, the second screen is VERY helpful. One thing you may not notice is how much easier it is to go through menus when you can just "Touch" the buttons instead of having to move a selection thingy around. Daigasso [Jam with the Band (US)] is a perfect example, Sure that game could be played without the touch screen, but adding in the Touch Pannels and Touch Menus the game becomes much easier to navigate and select things.

All in all the message I'm trying to say is:

The second screen is extremely helpful, not just for adding in features to games, but to make simple tasks... more simple![/QUOTE]

What am I looking for?

[quote name='gambitmachete']
I was just hoping there would be a few more touch screen only games at this point that would make you say "holy fuck, this is such an awesome new way to play video games!" Nintendogs was the closest thing to that for me, it just got kinda boring after a couple weeks. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='gambitmachete']I didn't say I wanted the touch screen to be used in all games. In fact, I'd rather it not be used at all in games that don't call for it than have to do half assed shit like drawing the symbols in Castlevania (worst part of the game, IMO). I'd just like more than one totally awesome touch screen game (Meteos). The rest of the games you listed were just okay by most accounts.[/QUOTE]

What exactly did you go back and re-read if you missed all that?

im not. im glad its not used in all games, it would be quite annoying. but i am rather pleased with the games that did use it, yoshi, kirby, wario, and especially meteos. oh meteos how i love thee. also, i easily can switch from dpad to stylus in animal crossing, which makes things very easy.

Those awesome games do exist, you're discounting them simply because they don't fit your tastes. Trauma Center is an awesome game and the touch screen implementation is flawless. The same goes for Nintendogs and Electroplankton, these games simply do not fit your tastes. That fact that they are not games that you like doesn't take anything away from the creative implementation of the touch screen mechanic.

The producer of Diamond and Pearl has gone on record saying that these titles will both utilize the unique features of the DS heavily, so it's pretty safe to assume the touch screen will be implanted effectively. Brain Training would never have been a reality had it not been for the touch screen, and the book-style DS position is a great touch. Metroid Hunters is the first FPS where the player touches where he or she actually wishes to shoot. Band Brothers and Quendan could never be duplicated without a touch screen.

The actual creativity witht the touch screen mechanics is there, yet you seem to be getting hung up on other factors about the titles. Fault those rather than the screen.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Those awesome games do exist, you're discounting them simply because they don't fit your tastes. Trauma Center is an awesome game and the touch screen implementation is flawless. The same goes for Nintendogs and Electroplankton, these games simply do not fit your tastes. That fact that they are not games that you like doesn't take anything away from the creative implementation of the touch screen mechanic.

The producer of Diamond and Pearl has gone on record saying that these titles will both utilize the unique features of the DS heavily, so it's pretty safe to assume the touch screen will be implanted effectively. Brain Training would never have been a reality had it not been for the touch screen, and the book-style DS position is a great touch. Metroid Hunters is the first FPS where the player touches where he or she actually wishes to shoot. Band Brothers and Quendan could never be duplicated without a touch screen.

The actual creativity witht the touch screen mechanics is there, yet you seem to be getting hung up on other factors about the titles. Fault those rather than the screen.[/QUOTE]

I was stating my opinion, and in my opinion the touch screen games out now are flawed. It makes no difference to me why they're flawed - I'm not playing them either way. I'm not gonna play Pokemon Dash even though it sucks balls just because it uses the touch screen.

Will you really be happy if after the Revolution comes out, all the best REAL games use the normal controller shell, and the new features of the controller are mostly used for stuff like Wario Ware? My guess is most people here would say yes, but most here would also pay $50 to import Touch! Mario! Turd! if such a game ever made, so whatever. I'm not one of those people.

I'm highly anticipating all the games you listed, and I'm planning on importing Ouendan. If they all live up to the hype it'll be great.

I wouldn't say I am shocked, as it is a new way to play, and as gamers we are still trying to rap our heads around it, so the developers are probably struggling. The one thing I am not happy with is people trumpting the DS and the innovation, while the majority of games don't use it. I am sure over the next couple of years we should see an explosion of games using it...at first most will suck, a game or 2 will hit it out of the park, and other companies will learn from there failures and success.

I don't really use it for the games I play except for Phoenix Wright, its easier in certain ways to use the stylus but if I have them in my hand I end up chewing them and have to replace them so I just play the games without unless its significantly better. I wish my Toys r us hadn't sold out of Stylus with their closing sale then I'd have a bunch so I wouldn't mind using them.

[quote name='gambitmachete']I was stating my opinion, and in my opinion the touch screen games out now are flawed. It makes no difference to me why they're flawed - I'm not playing them either way. I'm not gonna play Pokemon Dash even though it sucks balls just because it uses the touch screen.[/QUOTE]

Right. The games are flawed but the implementation of the touch features are not.

It's great for Animal Crossing. You guys are nuts if you think that using a D-Pad for it is more intuitive. I'm still waiting for the one game that fucking blows me away by use of the stylus, but Trauma Center, Lost in Blue, Canvas Curse, Pac Pix etc. give me hope for the future. I hearts my DS.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Right. The games are flawed but the implementation of the touch features are not.[/QUOTE]

What are you trying to say here? How does that in any way condtradict my point that it's disappointing that, with the exception of Meteos, all of the top DS games thus far basically ignore the touch screen? Are you saying that Pac Pix and Yoshi's Touch and Go are on the same level as games like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart because, although flawed, they use the touch screen in an interesting manner? If you are, judging by sales and reviews, you're in the minority. If you aren't, then I don't see what the disagreement is.

[quote name='gambitmachete']What are you trying to say here? How does that in any way condtradict my point that it's disappointing that, with the exception of Meteos, all of the top DS games thus far basically ignore the touch screen? Are you saying that Pac Pix and Yoshi's Touch and Go are on the same level as games like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart because, although flawed, they use the touch screen in an interesting manner? If you are, judging by sales and reviews, you're in the minority. If you aren't, then I don't see what the disagreement is.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I'm saying games like Brain Training, Nintendogs, and Trauma Center are on par with MarioKart and Animal Crossing (arguably much better because of the stylus). That's why I mentioned them individually and elaborated on their touch screen usage individually in my previous post. Brain Training and Nintendogs are widely touted by Nintendo specifically because of their high sales and widespread appeal. Rarely do I see Meteos get mention. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're not quality, creative, touch-based games.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Nope. I'm saying games like Brain Training, Nintendogs, and Trauma Center are on par with MarioKart and Animal Crossing (arguably much better because of the stylus). That's why I mentioned them individually and elaborated on their touch screen usage individually in my previous post. Brain Training and Nintendogs are widely touted by Nintendo specifically because of their high sales and widespread appeal. Rarely do I see Meteos get mention. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're not quality, creative, touch-based games.[/QUOTE]

I can say just because you like them doesn't mean that they are quality touch screen games. See how silly that statement is? Ping Pals rules! YOU just don't like it! :roll:

We could go on forever debating the merits of particular games we like or dislike. By any *objective measure*, the majority of big DS games have ignored the touch screen. I know it may be difficult for fanboys to accept any criticism of Nintendo whatsoever, but I can't believe it's such a difficult concept to grasp.

Brain Training isn't out here. Have you even played it? If you have to continuously tout a game that isn't even released in the United States to back up your point that there are so many great touch screen games out now well, uh...

I mentioned the Brain Training games and the fact that they look like they will make good use of the touch screen in my original post anyway, so I don't know why you keep bringing them up.

I agree that it hasn't been the best thing ever but most touch screen games have been quite enjoyable. As already stated, yeah, regular controls would work too but I think that playing the same old game in a new way stands a higher chance to be fun than playing another sequel.

A lot of games that use both the touch screen and regular controls don't work all that well though (except Dawn of Sorrow because the touch screen aspects are when regular controls aren't necessary).

[quote name='gambitmachete']I can say just because you like them doesn't mean that they are quality touch screen games. See how silly that statement is? Ping Pals rules! YOU just don't like it! :roll:

We could go on forever debating the merits of particular games we like or dislike. By any *objective measure*, the majority of big DS games have ignored the touch screen. I know it may be difficult for fanboys to accept any criticism of Nintendo whatsoever, but I can't believe it's such a difficult concept to grasp.

Brain Training isn't out here. Have you even played it? If you have to continuously tout a game that isn't even released in the United States to back up your point that there are so many great touch screen games out now well, uh...

I mentioned the Brain Training games and the fact that they look like they will make good use of the touch screen in my original post anyway, so I don't know why you keep bringing them up.[/QUOTE]

Except in the case of Brain Training and Nintendogs. The sales and critical acclaim are there to back them up. I have to keep bringing it up because you keep brushing it aside and attempting to force me to defend titles I never mentioned. Brain Training is a great game. Nintendogs got a coveted 40/40 in Famitsu. It's a great game. The sales and acclaim to back these games up are there, there's no denying it.

Yes, I have played Brain Training. Quendan as well. That's the beauty of being able to read a second language. Just because it's not out in a particular market doesn't mean it's a bad game. The droves of games that never see release in Europe aren't suddenly made into shit games just because they're not released.

Stick with the logic instead of trying to use shit, and forcing me to defend it.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Except in the case of Brain Training and Nintendogs. The sales and critical acclaim are there to back them up. I have to keep bringing it up because you keep brushing it aside and attempting to force me to defend titles I never mentioned. Brain Training is a great game. Nintendogs got a coveted 40/40 in Famitsu. It's a great game. The sales and acclaim to back these games up are there, there's no denying it.

Yes, I have played Brain Training. Quendan as well. That's the beauty of being able to read a second language. Just because it's not out in a particular market doesn't mean it's a bad game. The droves of games that never see release in Europe aren't suddenly made into shit games just because they're not released.

Stick with the logic instead of trying to use shit, and forcing me to defend it.[/QUOTE]

I thought it'd make sense for the purpose of discussing the DS lineup to stick to what's out in the United States because we live here and most people here can't understand Japanese. What a crazy idea!

I brushed Brain Training aside.. even though I credited it as a promising upcoming release in my original post? Where did I say games that aren't released here are "shit?" Maybe you missed the post where I said I was planning on importing Ouendan? Can you read?

Don't talk to me about logic when you apparently cannot grasp an incredibly simple concept. You can keep bringing up those two games, but it doesn't in any way contradict what I've repeatedly said - the majority of the top DS games make little to no use of the touch screen. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. The word "majority" means MOST, not ALL.

Maybe this will be easier for you to understand: MOST GOOD GAMES DON'T USE TOUCH SCREEN.

Or how about this: # GOOD D-PAD GAMES > # GOOD TOUCH SCREEN GAMES.

Or maybe this would be more helpful: http://www.readingupgrade.com/html/ruadultliteracy.htm

Don't reply to me again until you learn how to read. I'm tired of having to repeat myself and quote my previous posts.

bread's done
Back