Anyone else have a hard time finding people to hang with?

Nirvanaguy777

CAGiversary!
Ever since I removed myself from the college experience (graduation), I haven't really been hanging out with anyone anymore. I have been basically working and comming home to myself, I only see my girlfriend about two times a week so the rest of the week is filled with nothing. I have a set group of friends I catch shows with but they are busy more with their women/work than I am so they can't be with me as frequently. Advice?

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Ever since I removed myself from the college experience (graduation), I haven't really been hanging out with anyone anymore. I have been basically working and comming home to myself, I only see my girlfriend about two times a week so the rest of the week is filled with nothing. I have a set group of friends I catch shows with but they are busy more with their women/work than I am so they can't be with me as frequently. Advice?[/QUOTE]

that's your problem.

You need a hobby or a pet. A good Jack Russel terrier will do fine :)

missionhillsy3.jpg

Welcome to the real world, sucker!

well that's what you get for partying so much with the college crowd for years. Once that is over, you wake up one day and say "Shit no party tonight."

I remember taht tv show! Especially the episode where that red guy beat that guy in blue's friend in video games. How long did that show last anyway?

[quote name='assassinX']I remember taht tv show! Especially the episode where that red guy beat that guy in blue's friend in video games. How long did that show last anyway?[/QUOTE]

One season. It's called Mission Hill, you can get it pretty cheap on DVD, and it is absolutely worth it.

Hugely underrated show.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Bars or enter a sports league (softball and bowling is fun)[/QUOTE]

This seems to be what my male coworkers do in their spare time as well. I have heard them mention golf, cycling, tennis, volleyball, softball, and rowing. Hopefully there are a few other younger guys in your workplace that might be interested in getting together a sports league.

I know what you are going though, and that it does suck. My department is mostly men, and hr has them too frightened to be seen socializing with a female colleague outside of work (even if nothing is going on). Most of the department is married, though.

you live in ny why dont you go hang out with wombat im sure hed be cool with that. but cmon you live in nyc how the hell can you be bored? id hit up so many clubs, strip clubs, nudie booths and all the tv shows and what not. but id say look at your interests and hobbies and try and find places where you can chill with like minded people.

I also don't play sports for the most part, I catch alot of shows as in music but that becomes too costly for a daily event.

[quote name='ITDEFX']that's your problem.

You need a hobby or a pet. A good Jack Russel terrier will do fine :)[/QUOTE]

I also have a pet bunny named mr. terricloth, he does occupy alot of my time but he is just a bunny...can't do much with him.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
lenindude.jpg

The Dude abides.[/QUOTE]
The Dude never bowled a single ball in the film.

[quote name='Strell']One season. It's called Mission Hill, you can get it pretty cheap on DVD, and it is absolutely worth it.

Hugely underrated show.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Great show, sad it didn't last longer.

But back on topic, I feel your pain OP. I spent the last 3 years living about two hours west of home. While out there, I got used to the people and places there. Now that I'm back home, everything is so much different, and the friends I used to be really close with here have different lives now.

Basically, I'm of no help here, but I know the feeling. Albany isn't as exciting a city as I remembered...

[quote name='PRMega']QFT. Great show, sad it didn't last longer.

But back on topic, I feel your pain OP. I spent the last 3 years living about two hours west of home. While out there, I got used to the people and places there. Now that I'm back home, everything is so much different, and the friends I used to be really close with here have different lives now.

Basically, I'm of no help here, but I know the feeling. Albany isn't as exciting a city as I remembered...[/QUOTE]

I had the dvd since it was released, amazing show.

I was hoping this topic would gather some decent ideas, maybe people know of an event center, or meetup groups, etc, some other forum (*shifty eyes* but I love you cag), anything.

i also recently graduated college, a little over a year ago, since then a lot of my friends moved away and i pretty much hang out with a small core of people. with out a lot of friends at parties and daily classes i havent made a single new friend since college. but thats ok with me, i like the friends i have.

i go out to bars and stuff, but i really dont mingle with people, just hang out with the people i know, but i think if i made more of an effort meeting people wouldnt be that hard, ive met plenty of friends-of-friends going to to a bar or a club ive just never cared enough to pursue a friendship with said aquantinces.

Most of my friends that I hang out with I've had since high school. But they're all married or getting married now.

I need new friends, I guess.

meetup.com? craigslist? adultfriendfinder? theres any number of social networking sites that can help you be social at least a little.
or start playing WoW and you'll forget about daylight.

If you're into gaming, sometimes non-chain stores have tournaments - you can sometimes meet cool ppl at those that share an interest. Basically, go do what you like to do and talk to others wherever that may be.

[quote name='ITDEFX']well that's what you get for partying so much with the college crowd for years. Once that is over, you wake up one day and say "Shit no party tonight."[/quote]

Which is what I did... fortunately some of my friends from college are living in the same area as me now. The really good news is a few more of the ones I did a lot of partying with are graduating now and coming home next week. The even better news is one of them is becoming a police officer... er wait, that's not good at all. Not the type of person I want to have a gun. Let alone a badge to carry said gun.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']I was hoping this topic would gather some decent ideas, maybe people know of an event center, or meetup groups, etc, some other forum (*shifty eyes* but I love you cag), anything.[/quote]

Your problem was the same problem that plagued me after college. I also grew tired of the bar scene too.

I guess that's why I made my animated short film. It was nice thing to work on that kept me out of trouble. Right now though, I am working alot on my demo reel and studying anatomy (to make myself a better artist).

You just need to find a creative outlet or do some volunteer work. You will have to find your own way.

I myself am pretty happy with my projects (although I wish I could meet more women- that is another story).

Same boat here but I aviod bars. Repeat after me: I will not become a barfly. I think it is just akward for adult men to find friends especially if the other people in your work or new school are established in the area. I find it hard to ask other dudes if they want to hang out. But no need to stress just try to grow acquintences into friendships.

Text dating!!!!

Joking aside go join a gym or take some stupid night classes for something you've always wanted to learn about.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']I also don't play sports for the most part, I catch alot of shows as in music but that becomes too costly for a daily event.[/QUOTE]

Local music or what? I usually go to 2 shows a week or so around here.. 5-10 bucks a night, and I don't drink, so it's a pretty cheap hobby.. Would it be called a hobby?

[quote name='The Crotch']"You don't have a best friend. You don't need a best friend. You know why? You're Church! Knowing other people just waters down the experience. Live the dream!"[/QUOTE]

My favorite episode of Red vs Blue... though not for that particular quote.

Go back for your masters part time, since you already got your bachelors. I'm guessing you are 21-26..so you probably still enjoy hanging out with late teens and twenty somethings, go back to do your masters part time and you can make new friends, go to parties, and feel a little more lively spending time with people your age and some younger.

When I started working, I felt like hell, surrounded by nothing but people way OLDER than me. I realized I needed to go back to school because my mindset isn't at the point where I can have relationships with quote unquote adults, in my mind they're still "old geezers" and to be honest...they sitll see me as a little kid, so I've been working pretty steady, and hopefully next fall, I'll be going to school again for about 3 or 4 straight years.

That, and enjoy your freedom: backlogs of games? you have no excuse right now. watch movies, tv shows, anime, you've never seen. go on vacations. hit the the beach, join a gym, learn a martial art, start practicing an instrument, try painting [even if you suck at art] or writing poetry, take care of a garden, get a fish, go on a diet, be like Amelie and go help random people, join a charity, be a promoter for an artist you like, read the bible in less than a year, in the process of all this, you should find new friends.

of course if you have a family and what not..then none of this applies, but if you're relatively single with no dependents, then have a ball.

[quote name='Xevious']Your problem was the same problem that plagued me after college. I also grew tired of the bar scene too.

I guess that's why I made my animated short film. It was nice thing to work on that kept me out of trouble. Right now though, I am working alot on my demo reel and studying anatomy (to make myself a better artist).

You just need to find a creative outlet or do some volunteer work. You will have to find your own way.

I myself am pretty happy with my projects (although I wish I could meet more women- that is another story).[/QUOTE]

Off-topic... But your film is done? I really need to go to your MySpace (if you haven't deleted me, that is) and check it out.

Everyone gets lonely, but enjoy your alone time while you can. If seeing your girl twice a week isn't enough, make an effort to spend more time with her.

I second joining a Meetup group for your interests. There are tons of groups out there, so I'm sure you could find one. Take up another hobby (thought I'm not sure I'd want to - if I could spend more time playing games, then I definitely would do that).

http://www.meetup.com/

Get some stupid second job that has multiple amounts of people(like a mall or a Walmart), make some friends there. Stay a couple weeks, make some friends, then if you want too, just quit the job.

Bam, you have friends, and you got paid for it too.

Well here we go boys... turning 30 in a few months. Stay at home Dad to a 2 year old. Oh did I mention that my wife moved me away from home suddenly 2 years ago? :) I know no one here but my wife and her family. Did the part time job thing for awhile.. had to quit due to my wife and child needing me more. Made a few friends, but we lost touch since I stopped working there, even when I go in to the place they never seem to be working. Never really hung out with them beyond work anyway. I don't play sports (don't even watch any beyond pro wrestling). I tried getting into an RPG group (D&D and Star Wars) and Star Wars Minis, but was way out of my age bracket (I think they thought I was a NARC ;) ) (and Price range for the Minis.. couldn't keep up). I've tried all this and I've got to tell you... sometimes life just hits a rut. Roll with it and keep going. It's gotta get better eventually.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Well here we go boys... turning 30 in a few months. Stay at home Dad to a 2 year old. Oh did I mention that my wife moved me away from home suddenly 2 years ago? :) I know no one here but my wife and her family. Did the part time job thing for awhile.. had to quit due to my wife and child needing me more. Made a few friends, but we lost touch since I stopped working there, even when I go in to the place they never seem to be working. Never really hung out with them beyond work anyway. I don't play sports (don't even watch any beyond pro wrestling). I tried getting into an RPG group (D&D and Star Wars) and Star Wars Minis, but was way out of my age bracket (I think they thought I was a NARC ;) ) (and Price range for the Minis.. couldn't keep up). I've tried all this and I've got to tell you... sometimes life just hits a rut. Roll with it and keep going. It's gotta get better eventually.[/quote]

And there's always Celebration IV (you seem like a star wars fan ;))

Tell me about it.

I don't see how people make friends unless you're around the same people all the time in

a) school
b) a job

Other than that, what reason is there to approach strangers and try to make friends? I wish I knew how, some people seem to be able to so easily.
Oh well.

I've met a couple girls off craigslist, and one from facebook.
Pretty geeky I know, but it wasn't bad.

[quote name='sarausagi']Go back for your masters part time, since you already got your bachelors. I'm guessing you are 21-26..so you probably still enjoy hanging out with late teens and twenty somethings, go back to do your masters part time and you can make new friends, go to parties, and feel a little more lively spending time with people your age and some younger.

When I started working, I felt like hell, surrounded by nothing but people way OLDER than me. I realized I needed to go back to school because my mindset isn't at the point where I can have relationships with quote unquote adults, in my mind they're still "old geezers" and to be honest...they sitll see me as a little kid, so I've been working pretty steady, and hopefully next fall, I'll be going to school again for about 3 or 4 straight years.

That, and enjoy your freedom: backlogs of games? you have no excuse right now. watch movies, tv shows, anime, you've never seen. go on vacations. hit the the beach, join a gym, learn a martial art, start practicing an instrument, try painting [even if you suck at art] or writing poetry, take care of a garden, get a fish, go on a diet, be like Amelie and go help random people, join a charity, be a promoter for an artist you like, read the bible in less than a year, in the process of all this, you should find new friends.

of course if you have a family and what not..then none of this applies, but if you're relatively single with no dependents, then have a ball.[/quote]

thats not a bad idea, but i have friends going to grad school who live nearby and i hardly see them at all. they are very busy. but maybe trying a couple classes at a JC nearby. youd still meet people around your age. take a japanese class at your JC, those classes are FULL of nerds who watch anime and play video games.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']take a japanese class at your JC, those classes are FULL of nerds who watch anime and play video games.[/quote]

That is SOOOOO true.

[quote name='c0rnpwn']And there's always Celebration IV (you seem like a star wars fan ;))[/QUOTE]

You have to have Money for Celebration IV. ;) Other than that I would have loved to go. I went to BotCon (Transformers convention) one year and it was cool. I again say it... I'm such a dork.

look for a place that has a weekly poker tournament or something - might be a place to meet people. That is, if the crowd isn't all old women and hicks....unless you like that sort of thing.

You need to move to a major city and get a place with your best friend(s). Your 20s are supposed to be filled with awesome - don't waste them.

Seriously, craigslist. If you live in a semi-large city, there are always events going on that you can join. If that's not an option, see if there volunteering opportunites around you. It's a great way to meet some cool folks. :D

church, sports leagues/clubs/pickup games, gym, part-time job, volunteering, internet, take some classes.

you gotta make an effort, that's the main thing.

[quote name='red flare graf']Local music or what? I usually go to 2 shows a week or so around here.. 5-10 bucks a night, and I don't drink, so it's a pretty cheap hobby.. Would it be called a hobby?[/QUOTE]

I do drink :), so it becomes more than that, plus I would also like to throw in that I have been going to shows since I was 13...I am sorta beat on them.

bread's done
Back