Anyone else having issues with the IR reception of the XBOX 360 S?

allyourblood

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (100%)
A big part of my decision to purchase the new 360 S was that it runs so much quieter than the old model, which is a boon to my wife and I because it's our main Netflix viewer; when we're watching movies late at night with the volume down, the old system would sometimes drown out the dialog. And on that front, I'm elated: the new 360 is super-quiet and runs great.

However, whereas with the old 360 I was able to point my Logitech Harmony remote from just about any angle and the 360 would pick up its signal, with the 360 S I have to point the thing dead center at the receiver or the commands aren't acknowledged. And I do mean dead center -- if I'm more than 2-3 feet left or right of the IR port, the 360 just sits there. I used to be able to sit at our dining room table, about 15-16 feet away, and control the console. Now, because the IR port is so exacting, the fact that I'm aiming from above the console (about 2-3 feet) means that the system doesn't see the signal.

Is anyone else having this problem, or can you try it out for me? I'm hoping that I just received a fluke/lemon so I can take it back and get a "good" one. I really hope this isn't how they all function; considering so many people use a remote with their 360, this would have to be a pretty big oversight on Microsoft's behalf.

I searched on Xbox.com (and its forums) as well as a general web search, but couldn't find anything relating to this problem.

Thanks for any light you folks can shed on the matter.

[quote name='Magehart']Did you do a battery swap to make sure they aren't on their last leg?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Also, shortly after I posted, I ran and grabbed my 360 Media Remote (the little shorty that came with my old Premium system), as well as the Harmony 550 from my bedroom and found the same results.

Interestingly, as I was doing all these "tests", I noticed something: when positioned "laying flat", (that is, not standing on-end), which is how I normally use it, my 360 S is much more receptive to the right of the console than it is the left. I can stand in front of it and move to the right until I'm at about a 45° angle before the signal is lost. When I move to the left, I can only move about 20-25° before it cuts out.

I can get used to it if I have to, but I'm still hoping it's just a problem with this particular console.

It's not just you. I have had the same issue with my 360 S. I have used the Harmony One, and the shorty and full sized media center 360 remotes and the IR reception is nearly non existent once I start to venture off the left of the system. I also have two friends that have the S and their systems react the same way. I am pretty sure it's a universal design flaw.

My original 360 has a crap IR as well. I think you may have just been lucky with your first one. With my Falcon unit, unless my Harmony One is pointed right at it, it tends to not work. Thankfully I don't really use the remote with the system, so it's not really an issue for me.

Yeah, my original 360 isn't great either. I use the 360 Harmony remote, have to pretty much aim right at it to get it to pick up.

Do you have anything plugged in the USB ports on the front of the system? The receiver is the connect button just to the left of those ports. If something is there, it could be blocking yourine of sight.

I haven't tested my IR as I just use my 360 controller to play my DVDs. And the screen is cracked on my harmony. Lame is me.

[quote name='Ziv']Do you have anything plugged in the USB ports on the front of the system? The receiver is the connect button just to the left of those ports. If something is there, it could be blocking yourine of sight.

I haven't tested my IR as I just use my 360 controller to play my DVDs. And the screen is cracked on my harmony. Lame is me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was aware of the IR receiver's position. That made me kinda unhappy right away; while it won't likely be a problem for me (as I don't typically have anything plugged in there for long), I thought it was a poor choice by MS since depending on what's plugged in, you can easily block the receiver.

As for my original 360 consoles, the IR reception has never been stellar, but I've never had any real issues with it either. I can't bounce the signal off the walls/ceiling/carpet like I can with my TV and stereo receiver, but it was... serviceable. I had three original 360 consoles; two from 2006 and my current Elite from 2008; never had a problem with any of them.

Well, I must say that I'm disappointed to read that I'm not alone here. I would've much preferred to find I'd just bought a bum system so I could swap it out. With my luck, MS will fix this within the next year without offering to cover it under warranty. I guess I'll learn to live with it, but it's gonna take some time. I'm so used to sitting at my laptop and controlling Netflix from anywhere with line of sight. Now I find myself getting up every 23 minutes to play another episode of whatever show I'm watching.

I'm definitely going to be passing this issue along to MS and see what they have to say. Perhaps if enough people complain, they'll address it (wishful thinking, I suppose, but you never know!).

Thanks very much to everyone who has replied thus far. I really appreciate it.

[quote name='allyourblood']Yeah, I was aware of the IR receiver's position. That made me kinda unhappy right away; while it won't likely be a problem for me (as I don't typically have anything plugged in there for long), I thought it was a poor choice by MS since depending on what's plugged in, you can easily block the receiver.

As for my original 360 consoles, the IR reception has never been stellar, but I've never had any real issues with it either. I can't bounce the signal off the walls/ceiling/carpet like I can with my TV and stereo receiver, but it was... serviceable. I had three original 360 consoles; two from 2006 and my current Elite from 2008; never had a problem with any of them.

Well, I must say that I'm disappointed to read that I'm not alone here. I would've much preferred to find I'd just bought a bum system so I could swap it out. With my luck, MS will fix this within the next year without offering to cover it under warranty. I guess I'll learn to live with it, but it's gonna take some time. I'm so used to sitting at my laptop and controlling Netflix from anywhere with line of sight. Now I find myself getting up every 23 minutes to play another episode of whatever show I'm watching.

I'm definitely going to be passing this issue along to MS and see what they have to say. Perhaps if enough people complain, they'll address it (wishful thinking, I suppose, but you never know!).

Thanks very much to everyone who has replied thus far. I really appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

I know it sucks to spend more money, but have you looked into an IR Repeater? You attach it to the front of the xbox and then you have a separate receiver that will intercept the signal and send the signal to a receiver that is ON the xbox.

I've noticed this too. I can be standing right in front of the xbox with the remote, maybe 10 ft back, and sometimes it doesn't receive the signal. God forbid I'm sitting on the couch with my laptop or something on the table in front of me, lol. I've gotten used to just moving my arm over a little when I use the remote now.

[quote name='vwbeetlvr']I know it sucks to spend more money, but have you looked into an IR Repeater? You attach it to the front of the xbox and then you have a separate receiver that will intercept the signal and send the signal to a receiver that is ON the xbox.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much my last resort. My wife is not happy with the idea because "it'll look ugly" (and I agree), but there isn't much else I can do aside from just dealing with how it works now. If I end up buying one, I'll pop back in here and let you folks know which one I got and how it works out.

Thanks!

bread's done
Back