Anyone else interested in Phantasy Star Universe (PSU)?

yellowaznboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Here's the latest information:
EGM/1up interview w/Yuji Naka
IGN news article

I like that they are creating a full-fledged offline adventure while still having an online game w/server-side saving. This will hopefully minimize the cheating. It's still an action ORPG, but now supports up to 65 players in one game (instead of 4).

The only thing that sucks is that it is PS2- and PC-exclusive.

[quote name='Interview']EGM: It's rather late in the PS2's life cycle...any chance of porting this to other systems?

YN: I'm not quite sure yet...the PS2 is the hardware with the biggest market right now, and the next-generation platforms won't have a very large installed base at first. It would be fairly risky to launch an online game for these new systems too early.[/quote]

It's interesting they say this since True Fantasy Live Online was canceled almost a year ago because it was "too late" in the X-box's life cycle to release an MMO.

I'd be interested if I had broadband... *burns effigy of brother* I suppose I wouldnt mind playing the off line mode (if the game is 20 bucks) but the story would have to be cooler than the PSO games as you got nothing unless ou read the diaries.

Still waiting for the remake phantasy star trilogy to come out.

As am I... May 1st, $19.99

There is almost no chance of phantasy star trilogy coming out on may 1st since the PS4 hasnt been release in Japan yet.

As for Xbox, if MS did release xBox 2 this year than it looks like PS2 will outlast Xbox.

I'm really interested in this...ps2 really needs another good online rpg...lol it wouldn't need to be much of an rpg to be better than Final Fantasy XI.

I got the feeling that the online component of the game isn't as large as PSO's was.

It felt that maybe the online part was for downloading extra missions, and maybe a chat area where you can fight monsters, play soccer, etc.

I'm hoping that since ST was able to make PSO on gamecube dial up compatible, that they'll do the same thing for PS2 owners. Or atleast offer us the downloadable goods.

if FF11 was a bad MMORPG then there are a whole lot of others just as bad. And if the Online content of PSU is less than PSO it's not going to be worth 15 bucks a month. PSO was BARELY a MMO you could only play with 3 other people at a time far below the average for a MASSIVE game, hell they shouldnt even have made people pay for it.

It was designed for 56k so it didn't require anything to be done to it.

[quote name='Alpha2']if the Online content of PSU is less than PSO it's not going to be worth 15 bucks a month. PSO was BARELY a MMO you could only play with 3 other people at a time far below the average for a MASSIVE game, hell they shouldnt even have made people pay for it.[/QUOTE]

Yet, when its released...tons of fans will line up and pay that monthly fee knowing damn well how Sega screwed over PS(O) fans in the past. Sonic Team can't run these kinds of games, they just need to turn it over to someone who can.

I remember when they were claiming that Ver. 2 was going to be hacker proof because we were going to be paying for it. That lasted about a week. Then the GCN was going to be safe since the servers weren't connected to tainted DC servers. That was maybe two months of decent play?

And lets not even go into the failure that was the xbox release.

I think its cool that they have both an online and offline mode, instead of having 2 different games that sell for $50 each.

[quote name='terribledeli']Yet, when its released...tons of fans will line up and pay that monthly fee knowing damn well how Sega screwed over PS(O) fans in the past. Sonic Team can't run these kinds of games, they just need to turn it over to someone who can.

I remember when they were claiming that Ver. 2 was going to be hacker proof because we were going to be paying for it. That lasted about a week. Then the GCN was going to be safe since the servers weren't connected to tainted DC servers. That was maybe two months of decent play?

And lets not even go into the failure that was the xbox release.[/QUOTE]

Such a shame that this game is, in all reality, probably doomed to failure through Sega's own crappy management. Unless they actually learned their lesson from the previous PSO games...but I doubt it...some game publishers just don't seem to learn....

Anyways, if the online set up is anything like the previous PSO games, you got one month free online play. That should be enough time for me to decide whether or not its worth paying a fee or not. The previous PSO games weren't that bad, but the monthly online fee for the basically nonexistant service was not worth it.

PSO was basically a space age version of Guild Wars no need for a fee because they didn't have any real services for the players aside from the downloadable content which was... "meh" at best.

PSU needs to be a REAL mmorpg to be worth 15 bucks a month... I dont know how an off-line mode will work with server side saving though...

Yeah, I'm fairly interested in this game, but I doubt I'll check it out. I do have my PS2 hooked up to go online, but I'm not really interested in playing it on it. I'm thinking it'd be more likely for me to get it on the PC than the PS2. Too bad it isn't coming out on the Xbox. BTW, will this have mic support for the PS2 or PC version?

I'm actually very interested in this game myself. I never played a PSO or had any interest in the series, but somehow this one caught my attention. Personally I might buy it, and try it out. If I don't like it, well at least I got the offline version to keep me busy.

Either way, I know I got friends willing to try this new world if indeed it will be as good as I think it'll be. It could replace my FFXI....or just another game to play.

bread's done
Back