Anyone Else Pissed Out at the Release Schedule This Year??

kingkiller33

CAGiversary!
I swear, game publishers must have rocks for brains. 2009 was shaping up to be an incredible year for gaming. Instead, gamers will be practically starved for new titles as the big games just keep getting delayed and pushed back.

Check the schedule for July. Absolutely nothing all month for Xbox or PS3! Things normally pick up in August. Not this year. We only get Wolfenstein and Batman.

Sept and Oct was looking very crowded with releases, but now I am seeing these titles get pushed back into November. Ridiculous! Mafia 2 now delayed until next year. You know what? I don't even care aanymore. I was excited for your game 2 years ago. Tired of waiting.

SPlinter Cell which was supposed to come out this summer delayed until Nov. Bioshock 2 pushed to Nov.

So far all the biggest titles are going to be released within a span of 2 weeks. Why do they torture us like this? No one can afford to buy all the games at once so it's a lose lose situation for everyone. I don't expect to see SC2 for another 10 years either. Screw you Blizzard.

With the juggernaut that will be Modern Warfare 2, I don't see it as a wise decision for any publisher to release anything in November. I'm sorry L4D2, Assassin's Creed 2, Bioshock 2, etc.

I would just hold off on any FPS or similar game until 2010 if I were a publisher.

Also, OP the phrase you are looking for is "pissed off".

I love the upcoming games (Mafia 2, Red Dead Redemption, Assassins Creed 2, Modern Warfare 2, MAG, God of war 3, Halo ODST, Mario Galaxy 2, Modnation racer). But as much as I can't wait to get these games, my fanboy power kicks in, and I want Sly Cooper 4, Shadow of the Collossus 2, Bully 2, and a True Crime NYC sequel. Thats never gonna happen though.

I'm just pissed that everything is a sequel. Look at the above games that nofanboy96 power posted. Modnation Racer and MAG are the only original ones. I want to see more original IPs. It was great when the 360 came out, there were ton of original IPs.. Crackdown, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Assassin's Creed... and now they're sequelizing all of them. It sucks.

[quote name='willardhaven']I would just hold off on any FPS or similar game until 2010 if I were a publisher.

Also, OP the phrase you are looking for is "pissed off".[/QUOTE]

Yea it was a typo, sorry.

Honestly this month we got a ton of good games, Infamous well end of last month, Prototype, and Red Faction(If you arn't playing this get it, its the amazing). We get Ghostbusters next week which is shaping up to be good. Some new Gears 2 stuff soon, PS3 finnaly gets some Fallout 3 love. Dissida for the psp soon. My plate is full.

I'm pissed out all the time. don't know what's wrong with the rest of you. let's see bioshock, badcompany, mw2, dragon age, lfd2, assassin's creed. $360 brand new in the course of two months. don't think that's going to happen.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Check the schedule for July. Absolutely nothing all month for Xbox or PS3![/QUOTE]

Why yes OP, I'm absolutely excited for King of Fighters XII in July. I can't wait.

Yeah, 2010 is looking real good now, but 2009 is still great.

Modern Warfare 2, Bioshock 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Assassins Creed 2, Max Payne 3, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Fight Night Round 4, Halo: ODST, and I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting or don't know about.

nope. ive got plenty of stuff to play right now especially with some ps3 games dropping down to 20 of late. and theres still a few games i have that i want to do another playthrough of to find somethings i missed and complete some things. by the time i do that there will be cheaper games to get and other stuff to buy. so as of right now i could care less whats coming out.

Modern Warfare 2 is about all I'm excited for. Maybe Halo:ODS2 or Bioshock 2 if they turn out well. But I still have a couple of games on the shelf I need to get through (Fear 2--playing now, Prince of Persia, Fall Out 3, RE5 coming from Goozex) so I don't mind.

With the little I play anymore, those and MW2 should keep me occupied the rest of the year.

No I don't really care about the publishers release schedules, I don't need to have the new and shiny the minute it comes out. I'll pick the games up when I get around to them and they go down in price, otherwise I have a ton of great games to play in my backlog.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']Better to be pissed out than pissed in.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather be pissed off than pissed on.

As far as I'm concerned, publishers can release every game for the rest of the year on the same day -- say, the first Tuesday in November -- if they so choose. I so rarely buy a game on the release day that it wouldn't affect me... not to mention the fact that my current backlog could keep me busy for the rest of my life anyway.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Assassin's Creed sold about 8 million. I think Ubisoft'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

How many of those 8 million were truly happy with the game?

Not me, no. Still got games on my wish list that I'm waiting for the right price. Thread creator should think about the downloadable games if he's starving for new releases; Bf:1943, TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled, Zombie Apocalypse come to mind as games that I'm personally interested in.

yeah ive got dl games i havent beaten yet either and psn has plenty of good ones to play ( bionic commando rearmed, 2 diff castlevannias, FF7 and re directors edition). i guess it really depends on what youre looking for in games as to whether a lack of releases is an issue or not. id also suggest checking out the deals forum you could easily find something in there you might have wanted but didnt want to pay full price for.

For me personally it's a good thing as I'm trying to save up to go to PAX (plane ticket from St. Louis to Seattle ain't cheap) so I can just play the games I have until then.

But then the fall hits and it's going to be madness. I'm telling you this, the only games I'm paying full retail for in Nov. are Modern Warfare 2 and MAYBE Uncharted 2. Everything else will be either Black Friday/holiday weekly sales or Gamestop 20/30% off 360 used game weekly coupon pickups.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Yeah, 2010 is looking real good now, but 2009 is still great.

Modern Warfare 2, Bioshock 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Assassins Creed 2, Max Payne 3, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Fight Night Round 4, Halo: ODST, and I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting or don't know about.[/QUOTE]

Jesus christ that's a lot of sequels. Looks like the game industry is getting closer and closer to the film industry in running out of ideas.

I don't mind sequels, as long as they are high quality. For a more casual gamer like me, it's nice to have games I know I'll love going in without having to find a way to play it first etc.

[quote name='kingkiller33']So far all the biggest titles are going to be released within a span of 2 weeks. Why do they torture us like this? No one can afford to buy all the games at once so it's a lose lose situation for everyone. I don't expect to see SC2 for another 10 years either. Screw you Blizzard.[/QUOTE]

You know you can take the money you were planning to spend on games in July and August and put it in a savings account. When November rolls around not only will you still have the money you originally put in, but you'll also have a little extra.

[quote name='Scorch']I'm just pissed that everything is a sequel.[/QUOTE]

Why are you mad about that. It means we are getting more of the games we love.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Why are you mad about that. It means we are getting more of the games we love.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing you are one of those people that buys Madden every year.

July could probably use a few more games, but otherwise it's been pretty much nonstop good releases for the past few months. I was actually happy that Batman got pushed back so it didn't come out in the massive Infamous/Red Faction/Prototype/Bionic Commando pile. Of course companies are pushing their titles away from August-November. Nobody wants to compete against Modern Warfare 2, Madden, or Beatles: Rock Band for NPD position or retailer space.

theres too many good sales on now to worry about releases. that gamestop sale and now i see theres a sale at hollywood video. nows a great summer for picking up those games you were sort of interested in but didnt want for full price. fuckin bionic commando is awesome so far.

[quote name='naes']I'm guessing you are one of those people that buys Madden every year.[/QUOTE]

I buy 10 copies of madden every year and purposefully steal and break copies of whatever the hot cult classic is at the time.

[quote name='naes']I'm guessing you are one of those people that buys Madden every year.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah I am! And are you saying you're not excited about Modern Warfare 2 and Uncharted 2?

1) Traditionally a publisher will sell more in November, being number 20 on the top 100 games sold, then they would as being number 1 in the month of February. That impression is changing but it is hard to argue with the holiday dollars.

2) Bitching about games taking to long or getting delayed is ignorant. Most games that are delayed benefit from it. Project timelines that have added man hours from the delay, allow the developer to reduce the number of "bypassed bugs". While it is hard for some to believe, QA can't catch everything and games ship with a number of allowed bugs, it is in every major publishers Project Management Framework. The longer a team can work on these, the less that are bypassed.

3) Not everything is a sequel -- Dragon Age, Brutal Legend, Shadow Complex, Alpha Complex, Academy of Champions, This Is Vegas - to name a few. Not to mention Prototype, Infamous, EA Active, MadWorld and I am sure hundreds of others that have some out, that were not established.

4) Sequels do not equal bad -- Operation Flashpoint is a sequel in name alone, but it is enabling people this generation to enjoy a simulation game I enjoyed almost ten years ago. Beyond Good and Evil 2 will hopefully allow a series that a critical darling, the publicity it deserves.

5) Licenses are not bad either. Champions Online is the next superhero MMO, and it is shaping up to be a great licensed game. Ghostbusters is another excellent example of a license handled well. Ultimate Spider-man and Spider-man 2 are others.

So at the end enjoy the games that are out, remember the ones you enjoyed fondly and look forward to the future. Others in this thread are right, check out the Arcade, PSN or WiiWare/Virtual Console for some great titles right now and catch up on some back log.

[quote name='Scorch']I'm just pissed that everything is a sequel. Look at the above games that nofanboy96 power posted. Modnation Racer and MAG are the only original ones. I want to see more original IPs. It was great when the 360 came out, there were ton of original IPs.. Crackdown, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Assassin's Creed... and now they're sequelizing all of them. It sucks.[/QUOTE]

There's always Bayonetta. That looks like it will be pretty awesome.

[quote name='whoknows']There's always Bayonetta. That looks like it will be pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

Only game I care about this Fall/Winter. That and ODST, I guess.

I don't know man. Summer is usually a pretty slow time for games. And yet this has been a banner year for summer releases. I'm pleasantly surprised by the release schedule so far. Yes, it has suffered from a case of sequel-itis. But with the sheer quantity of established franchises in this industry, that is hardly a surprise. (not to mention the recession, and the risk that a non-established franchise represents to investors)

bread's done
Back