Anyone else see white outlines in some games?

Kanik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I've noticed in some games, (Uncharted, Bourne, Overlord), I see a white outline around the character. Any reason as to why this is? I tried playing around with TV settings, and lowering the sharpness helped but I have it set to 0 and still see the white outline. I've also tried fooling around with PS3 display settings but no luck.

I checked the Sony forum but every topic about it has no solution. I compared the Bourne demo and the 360 doesn't have the problem. Any idea as to what the problem is?

Havent played bourne or overlord but can tell you that the engine in uncharted highlights the edges of objects sometimes. There's also that tendency in some current gen games to make them look "better" by making them shinier.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']try screwing around with ur hdmi connection to the tv and ps3.

might be a bad cable.[/quote]

I thought all HDMI cables were the same? Plus I had used this cable before when I had cable and it worked fine.

It's odd because it isn't white outlines over everything, only the character I'm playing as, everything else looks fine.

[quote name='Kanik']I thought all HDMI cables were the same? Plus I had used this cable before when I had cable and it worked fine.

It's odd because it isn't white outlines over everything, only the character I'm playing as, everything else looks fine.[/quote]

I think it's what someone else mentioned. The new fad seems to be the highlighting. I never notice it because I sit a good 13-15 feet away from my TV. I'll stand closer tonight and let you know.

I noticed the same thing in Uncharted (on a 42" Panasonic TH42PX60U). I think it's just the game, definitely not your cables. And while I noticed a distracting level of shininess as well (in what is otherwise a very pretty game) I think this "white outline" issue is a distinct problem.

So, IMO it's just part of the game and something you'll have to deal with until Uncharted 2 comes out.

[quote name='Kanik']I've noticed in some games, (Uncharted, Bourne, Overlord), I see a white outline around the character. Any reason as to why this is? I tried playing around with TV settings, and lowering the sharpness helped but I have it set to 0 and still see the white outline. I've also tried fooling around with PS3 display settings but no luck.

I checked the Sony forum but every topic about it has no solution. I compared the Bourne demo and the 360 doesn't have the problem. Any idea as to what the problem is?[/quote]

[quote name='dfo']I noticed the same thing in Uncharted (on a 42" Panasonic TH42PX60U). I think it's just the game, definitely not your cables. And while I noticed a distracting level of shininess as well (in what is otherwise a very pretty game) I think this "white outline" issue is a distinct problem.

So, IMO it's just part of the game and something you'll have to deal with until Uncharted 2 comes out.[/quote]

Ya, it didn't bother me much in Uncharted, though it makes Bourne look worse when compared to the 360 version.

I figured it's a game issue, I found it odd that only the controllable character had the issue. My guess is that it's some cheap trick developers decided to use. Hopefully newer games won't utilize it.

I've seen it before.. just recently with Niko walking up stairs in GTA. It was evident enough to get my attention, but not enough for me to really care. It's got to be some development shortcut.

Off-topic... the "shiny-ness" of this generation (most abused in Unreal engine games) is almost distracting.. anyone agree?

[quote name='QiG']I've seen it before.. just recently with Niko walking up stairs in GTA. It was evident enough to get my attention, but not enough for me to really care. It's got to be some development shortcut.

Off-topic... the "shiny-ness" of this generation (most abused in Unreal engine games) is almost distracting.. anyone agree?[/quote]

I've noticed it a little in games, but not enough to be a distraction. But you're right, it's the gimmick filler of this gen, I think. The superbly crafted games either don't use it or are clever enough to disguise it... (well most of them, I guess.) My Samsung 32" LCD (and the distance I sit from it, at least 8 feet) keeps that distraction to a bare minimum... I certainly hope they don't overuse it, because there's only so far I can sit from my TV without being in the front yard. :)

The same thing happens in every genre (music, movies, etc.) Sometimes it's the wrong thing that gets mimicked. :)

I downloaded some more demos to check it out and no other game had the lines except Heavenly Sword (which I thought looked the worst of all the games).

On a side note: Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction is possibly the best looking game I've ever seen.

bread's done
Back