Anyone ever get screwed on a non-eBay PayPal transaction?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
I want to buy some TFs from someone at another forum I visit and I'm just curious as I've never dealt at those forums (there's no actual trading section or feedback system there either). I've used PayPal to buy from CAGs and on other trading sites but I've never actually had to deal with any type item-not-received issue.

It's not a significantly great deal or anything... but it is much better price than eBay. I know that I shouldn't use the gift option as that doesn't cover anything but assuming I go through with the "goods" option, how likely am I to get my money back if he does screw me over?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't use the gift option, as it offers no protection at all. It's better to use the goods option, as it will offer protection if he doesn't send or some are missing.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Don't use the gift option, as it offers no protection at all. It's better to use the goods option, as it will offer protection if he doesn't send or some are missing.[/QUOTE]

This.

Never use gift option, EVER. $1 in fees is bullshit, anyone that wants it as gift is bullshiting and they should have accounted for fees when they were selling the item. In-fact you are violating Paypal's agreement when you are sending as gift for an item that isn't really a "gift". It's a business transaction.

Some asshole tried to rip me for $55 lmao, I was sure I sent it as goods but I sent it as "other".

Fortunately, I opened a claim (not dispute, the other option ;) ) and got my money back.

But be aware that you can't dispute an item for condition like you can on eBay. For non-eBay transactions, it's simply "received" or "not received" when Paypal makes a ruling. Generally, if the seller can show proof of delivery, they can get away with sending you something SNAD whereas on eBay they cannot.

Use a credit card for the Paypal transaction, so you at least have a chargeback option if someone tries to stiff you with a SNAD situation.

I got screwed out of a large sum of money on another game trading site a couple of years back and Paypal couldn't recover the funds when the claim was awarded in my favor even though I hadn't gifted or anything like that. If the person is looking to rip you off, they'll transfer the funds out of Paypal before you have time to file a claim and Paypal thinks recovering the money is no longer their problem once the money is no longer in their system.

As shrike suggests, paying via credit card is probably safest because of the ability to do a chargeback in the worst case scenario, but I know that under certain circumstances Paypal reserves the right to terminate your account for performing a chargeback. I'd have to go over their ToS again to know exactly what those circumstances are, though.

I guess I made a typo, I meant to say I "shouldn't" use the gift option.:p

Ok, sounds like I should be ok using a CC via PayPal then.

[quote name='Vinny']I guess I made a typo, I meant to say I "shouldn't" use the gift option.:p

Ok, sounds like I should be ok using a CC via PayPal then.[/QUOTE]If you're doing non-gifted Paypal with Goods as the reason for the purchase, the recipient needs to show that they shipped something. That way, you can't go back and say you didn't get your goods.

If there's some question about the payment and having the items never get shipped and the like, the credit card gives you a fallback plan with a chargeback if something happens and Paypal doesn't side with you.

bread's done
Back