Anyone ever have a tooth break?

Not really, but a dentist fucked up one of my fillings and I had to get a root canal. He couldn't keep the tooth in, and it fell out 5 times, and this was a city dentist in a yuppie area near my work.

Believe it or not, I had an old codgy guy in the country work near my parent's house on the same tooth, and have never had a problem with it yet. He was a tough old man, but he did it right the first time...

Go figure.. A country bumpkin doing something right while a city slicker f'd it up. I'd never imagine... :roll:

[quote name='2DMention']Not really, but a dentist fucked up one of my fillings and I had to get a root canal. He couldn't keep the tooth in, and it fell out 5 times, and this was a city dentist in a yuppie area near my work.
[/QUOTE]

Wait, so what exactly is a root canal? I've never had one. My mom needs them all the time but I never understood what they were.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Just got back from my dentist appointment, and I got my tooth fixed. It only cost $108.[/QUOTE]
Nice. What the heck did you get for $108??

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Wait, so what exactly is a root canal? I've never had one. My mom needs them all the time but I never understood what they were.[/QUOTE]
A root canal is when they drill a hole into a tooth and drain/suck the pulp out. They're usually done when there's an infection. While not all root canals require a crown, they usually need at least a metal pin to anchor the tooth and a filling.

[quote name='dohdough']Nice. What the heck did you get for $108??[/QUOTE]

I'm not completely sure. It seems he basically molded the stuff used in fillings into the shape of the rest of my tooth.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm not completely sure. It seems he basically molded the stuff used in fillings into the shape of the rest of my tooth.[/QUOTE]

Probably a resin composite, just watch not to bite onto stuff that you should not bite on anyway. I'm pretty sure all types of food is ok just misc. stuff that you should not chew on anyway that is really hard because the tooth is a little weaker than a regular tooth. I just had to have one done recently also.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm not completely sure. It seems he basically molded the stuff used in fillings into the shape of the rest of my tooth.[/QUOTE]
WTF...he used resin to rebuild a wisdom tooth as a permament fix? Sounds like more of a quick fix than anything.

Not that it particularly matters, but it turns out the tooth was a 12 year molar, I apparently don't have wisdom teeth.

[quote name='icp_00_111']Probably a resin composite, just watch not to bite onto stuff that you should not bite on anyway. I'm pretty sure all types of food is ok just misc. stuff that you should not chew on anyway that is really hard because the tooth is a little weaker than a regular tooth. I just had to have one done recently also.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've been sort of trying to chew mostly on the other side and not brushing to hard in that area because I'm a bit worried about it.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Not that it particularly matters, but it turns out the tooth was a 12 year molar, I apparently don't have wisdom teeth.

Yeah, I've been sort of trying to chew mostly on the other side and not brushing to hard in that area because I'm a bit worried about it.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if that's the stuff they make temporary on-lays with. Was it put in like a filling, or glued on?

If it was that broken he probably should have just crowned it, would have cost more but would have been a lot of more durable. Usually past a certain point most dentists won't even try to rebuild teeth because there isn't enough to work with.

[quote name='elessar123']I'm wondering if that's the stuff they make temporary on-lays with. Was it put in like a filling, or glued on?[/QUOTE]

Like a filling. It was certainly a metallic substance because I had bits of it in my mouth afterward that I kept having to spit out, I guess from him shaping it.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']My four front teeth are 85% porcelain. My dental history is not for the faint of heart.[/QUOTE]

One of my front tooth is maybe 10%... But my dental history is pretty bad too. I'm not sure I have one tooth without some sport of with on it.

For the record, I only really got them in periods where I drank Coke Classic -- couple years during high school, and a couple years in college. That's why I drink Coke Zero now.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Like a filling. It was certainly a metallic substance because I had bits of it in my mouth afterward that I kept having to spit out, I guess from him shaping it.[/QUOTE]
The amalgam material is "better," but I find it extremely odd that he built up the tooth from dental bondo. On the brightside, you don't have to worry about wisdom teeth. Hopefully the fix will last until you get some dental insurance, then you can get a proper and more permanent fix.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']... and it seems my tooth is back to being broken.[/QUOTE]

If it is your wisdom tooth, as you said in your OP, you really should just have it pulled. There is no point in spending money to keep fixing it when it serves no purpose. It probably broke because it was a cavity, which means you are having trouble keeping it clean(very common). It will only become more of a problem as you get older. I am kind of surprised the dentist even tried filling it without suggesting you just have it pulled. If the tooth is fully erupted, which it sounds like it is, having it pulled should not cost very much money(around what you paid for the filling) if you just opt for only local anesthetics. It really wont hurt at all if done properly and should only take a couple of minutes.

Ah, then an extraction would be off the table. I've had fillings fall out before from past dental work after only a few days. Unfortunately, that dentist was never able to correct the problem. It was not until I went to a new dentist that the problem stopped.

Did he do some drilling before he fixed the tooth? Was it just a broken tooth or a cavity? From what I know about teeth, usually if a tooth breaks just from normal chewing its because its a cavity.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']... and it seems my tooth is back to being broken.[/QUOTE]
I was afraid that was going to happen. The materials thats used for fillings isn't strong enough to replace/support the tooth and only supposed to be used to fill holes.

You need to go back to that dentist and have them do something more substantial than to use a filler to shape a tooth. Did the dentist do anything else than the "filling?" Break down the bill for me if you can. If the tooth fractured as bad as it looks in the picture, the only way to restore the tooth is with a crown or onlay. The only other two things you can do is shave down the tooth so it doesn't cut you or extract it.

And are you sure it's not your wisdom tooth? It's the 3rd molar and should be the 7th tooth in starting from the middle. If he tried to bondo your tooth with something that he shouldn't have, I'm not confident about what he told you about what tooth it is.

I'm a little concerned because you were spitting out excess material from a procedure that I don't think you should've had done. I'm no dentist, but I know enough to realize what you had was a little fishy.

He didn't actually mention whether or not it was a cavity, but looking at the broken bit, there was a dark grey/black area that I assume was a cavity. He did do some drilling before putting in the filling.

I already have another appointment for a regular cleaning, but I called to let them know it fell out. Do you think they'll charge me again to get it fixed? I assume they won't, but I'm feel like I'm probably wrong.

[quote name='dohdough']And are you sure it's not your wisdom tooth? It's the 3rd molar and should be the 7th tooth in starting from the middle. If he tried to bondo your tooth with something that he shouldn't have, I'm not confident about what he told you about what tooth it is.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be the third molar, and the 8th tooth...?

There's 32 teeth total, 28 without wisdom teeth.

The bad news is, depending on what work he did, the tooth might need a lot of work to fix. I had a large cavity filled with amalgam. It fell out a few years later and left a big hole, probably a quarter of the size of yours. (A shitty dentist did this.)

Another dentist, years later, said the only way to repair it was to drill away at the tooth, to the point where I would need a crown. He suggested not doing it, since it's still technically fixed, and isn't decaying.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']He didn't actually mention whether or not it was a cavity, but looking at the broken bit, there was a dark grey/black area that I assume was a cavity. He did do some drilling before putting in the filling.

I already have another appointment for a regular cleaning, but I called to let them know it fell out. Do you think they'll charge me again to get it fixed? I assume they won't, but I'm feel like I'm probably wrong.[/QUOTE]
A black area on the part of the tooth that fell out? It could be decay.

Sounds like he had to sand the tooth down a little. On the charge, it could be a little tricky. If he explicitly told you that it was a temporary fix, then he can charge you if he does something meant to be more permanent. If he never said anything about it being temporary(less than six months), then any reasonable dentist should give you a credit on the work done to be applied towards any corrective measure. If he does the exact same thing again, then he shouldn't be charging you at all.

[quote name='elessar123']Wouldn't it be the third molar, and the 8th tooth...?

There's 32 teeth total, 28 without wisdom teeth.[/quote]
LOLZ...you're right...I was counting in my mouth. My B.

The bad news is, depending on what work he did, the tooth might need a lot of work to fix. I had a large cavity filled with amalgam. It fell out a few years later and left a big hole, probably a quarter of the size of yours. (A shitty dentist did this.)

Another dentist, years later, said the only way to repair it was to drill away at the tooth, to the point where I would need a crown. He suggested not doing it, since it's still technically fixed, and isn't decaying.
Yeah...shit like this happens. Always bad when it does.

dohdough;8682319 Sounds like he had to sand the tooth down a little. On the charge said:
He didn't say anything about it being temporary. He didn't even give me options. He looked at it, and pretty much said this is what we're going to do.

This is the dentist that I used to go to when I was younger and the dentist my parents used. I remember my mom had a lot of problems with things falling back out. Although, I don't really remember what they were and how soon after getting them done they would fall out.

bread's done
Back