Anyone ever shop at CompUSA on Black Friday in the past?

Othergods

CAGiversary!
I was thinking about picking up the ATI All in Wonder 9600XT 128MB Video Card for $125. They open at 6am is this place gonna be a mad house like a Walmart or Bestbuy will be? Or will I be able to stoll in at 7am and grab one?

Also is this a good card? I am a noob at PC Gaming, been a console boy most my life.

I imagine every place will be a madhouse.. with Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 released this year, CompUSA will probably be packed as well.

everywhere is crazy on black friday, however compusa is almost certainly going to be less crowded than places like best buy, walmart, and your local mall

[quote name='Othergods']I was thinking about picking up the ATI All in Wonder 9600XT 128MB Video Card for $125. They open at 6am is this place gonna be a mad house like a Walmart or Bestbuy will be? Or will I be able to stoll in at 7am and grab one?

Also is this a good card? I am a noob at PC Gaming, been a console boy most my life.[/quote]

I would say to be there by 6:20 at the very latest.

I've got a hitlist that morning: I'll be outside my BB from like 5:30, then to Target, then Sears, then Comp USA, then EB Games. Hopefully that's a good order :D

5:30 is not early enough for BB if they open at 6, I'll tell you that right now.

For CompUSA they usually run a pretty solid line about 15 minutes before opening. That said, the people that go in there go in for such random things that I think you'll be fine on your graphics card. CompUSA is nothing compared to Wal-mart/BestBuy (the two most awful stores to attempt) or even Circuit City/Target (tier 2) so it's a good place.

Last year I did CompUSA first (lined up about half an hour before opening was probably 40th or so in line) and Circuit City after. Managed to get all I wanted.

Best Buy, my first Black Friday home is now a total no-go for me. I don't even bother to try unless it is something so great I'm willing to line up an hour early.

I think I'm doing Staples then CompUSA then BB.

I may leave someone outside of Staples, then do CompUSSR and BB and pick 'em up.

OR: May go a day early and do some hide and seek...

:)

[quote name='Othergods']I was thinking about picking up the ATI All in Wonder 9600XT 128MB Video Card for $125. They open at 6am is this place gonna be a mad house like a Walmart or Bestbuy will be? Or will I be able to stoll in at 7am and grab one?

Also is this a good card? I am a noob at PC Gaming, been a console boy most my life.[/quote]

To answer your question, its a very good lower end card. I used to have the exact one before i recently upgraded, but it plays Doom 3 and Half Life 2 very well on medium settings, and you can ever bump up HL2 a little depending on the rest of your rig.

But basically, it will play any game on the market just fine, just dont expect to play the newer stuff on Ultra settings.

Let's put it this way. I've had to wait in a line that quickly devolves into a mad rush for a sale on an ORDINARY SUNDAY at CompUSA before.

If my experiences have been normal, BF would be hell. Stay far, far away...

How can you guys even try to judge how it will be? It is different for every area, last year I went to all the hotspots from 8-10am and there was no problem and everything was well stocked as well. If you get lucky you'll have an area that hits different stores at different times so trial and error.

If you shop their make sure you dont have to return anything. I was building a cpu and got a 256mb memory and wanted to return it for a 512mb and pay the diff. They told me it would be a 15% restocking fee so be carefull what you buy their.

Nobody likes an office store, particuarly office max...right?
They are selling that hard drive there, I hope my local Office Max ain't crowded...

[quote name='shadow9689']Nobody likes an office store, particuarly office max...right?
They are selling that hard drive there, I hope my local Office Max ain't crowded...[/quote]

OM and OD are usually close to deserted on BF, especially if there is a BB or CC nearby

Yeah, I live in NYC (yeah!), and within 5 miles, I live near an Office Depot, Office Max, Best Buy, Circuit City, Gamespot, EBgames, and pretty much any electronics store you can think of.

[quote name='shadow9689']Yeah, I live in NYC (yeah!), and within 5 miles, I live near an Office Depot, Office Max, Best Buy, Circuit City, Gamespot, EBgames, and pretty much any electronics store you can think of.[/quote]

You do BF in the city? Where do you live?

I usually head to Jersey to Rt 4 and Rt 17, which has:
2 Staples
Sears
BB
CC
OD
Radio Shack
CompUSSR
Ample Parking

Radio shack in the mall.
Dunno, but Black Friday does occur at every store right?
I don't have too much money (must...get...DS...), so I'm just gonna pick up a HD for my comp.
I need one, down to my last 2 gigs o_O

[quote name='FeldBum']I think I'm doing Staples then CompUSA then BB.

I may leave someone outside of Staples, then do CompUSSR and BB and pick 'em up.

:)[/quote]

How did you do at Staples? I heard the deals were good. I didn;t realize until this year that deals were available on Staples.com also as long as supplies lasted.

[quote name='nevposey'][quote name='FeldBum']I think I'm doing Staples then CompUSA then BB.

:)[/quote]

How did you do at Staples? I heard the deals were good. I didn;t realize until this year that deals were available on Staples.com also as long as supplies lasted.[/quote]

I got a chair (sitting in it now), blank DVDs and a cordless phone + amswering machine for my grandmother

bread's done
Back