Anyone find a region-free Blu Ray player yet?

A quick browse through Wikipedia revealed this seller. I don't expect any of them do PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL conversions in the box because they seem to be regular blu-ray players with a modified firmware.

The LG BH200 has a remote hack which allows you to change the region of the player-- not true region free, but not bad for getting a non-hacked, non-tweaked unit which may or may not have any real warranty. I don't remember reading how it handles PAL/NTSC for normal DVDs, for BR it doesn't matter.

That said, the model's been discontinued and is getting harder and harder to find, but if you keep an eye out you might find one.

Giz you beat me, I only have 3 of the BH200s :)

I highly recommend this player -- you will not be seeing that many region free BD machines out there, and it also has excellent upscaling and video processing on top of it.

As far as PAL playback goes, it's not supposed to convert PAL-to-NTSC, yet I've had good luck on that end personally. It plays PAL with an easy remote control code, and not only that, I have 4 televisions that do not necessarily play PAL resoloutions yet they playback all PAL discs perfectly on the BH200 (both SD PAL discs and BD discs with PAL SD content on them). I actually started a thread on the AVS Forum about it and nobody had an answer why I could do that either, because I ran the BH200 test diagnostic on them and three of my sets did not support a PAL resolution (plus I had a Toshiba XA2 with PAL output that did NOT play back PAL properly on these same sets)....so it's possible you might be able to do it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GizmoGC']LG BH200. I have 4 of them :)[/quote]

Sound like what I want. What's a good price? A quick search shows them from $300-$700. Is ebay the best place to get one now?

[quote name='MrGranger']Sound like what I want. What's a good price? A quick search shows them from $300-$700. Is ebay the best place to get one now?[/QUOTE]

Affirmative. Obviously go with a good seller and avoid the glut of "As Is" items unless you want to send it into LG for a repair. When they had the cash back MS promo going, it was a really good deal...I bought my parents a new BH200 for $200 after cashback. Anything $300 or less is probably the best you will do right now, outside of a rogue overstocked item still sitting at a Best Buy somewhere.

I get the distinct feeling this player is going to be a highly prized possession because of all its features in the very near future. Already prices are heading upwards on them, a trend that naturally will continue as they become harder and harder to find.

bread's done
Back