Anyone from Ohio: I summon you once again!!

Dead of Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Ok, here is the deal. Since my family is moving to Ohio in June, I'm applying to colleges there. I'm applying to/have already applied to Case Western Reserve, OSU, Oberlin, and Kent State. I'll probably get into all of them, if not 3 of the 4, and with scholarships due to my high rank, GPA, and SAT scores. So I don't have any problem.

So the problem lies with my boyfriend who will be moving with us (LONG, tragic story, just trust me on this). He slacked off for most of high school and he has a 2.1 GPA and is like in the top 60% of the class. He does have a 1250 SAT though. At any rate, he's gonna apply to OSU, Kent State, Cleveland State, and Ohio University (OMG REALITY'S FRINGE!!1). Since it is possible he won't get into any of those with his shitty grades, can you Ohioans think of any Ohio schools that would be somewhat possible for him to get into? Any names of community colleges would help as well. Thanks a lot.

Ohio...why did you vote for bush...

anywhoo

Im a few years off from college...got a 1310 on my SAT in 7th grade though, so im on the right track.

Trust me, he'll get in to prctically all of them. If you can get into Case Western, I say go for it. I'm transfering out of OU though, so I won't be able to coment on it for too much longer, but from what I see it's a lot of hassle and "McEducation" if you will. I'm going back to a private University in my hometown, which is a lot less stress on ym family (some problems lately). I say he'll be fine, considering the caliber of people I've met up here.

That's shocking.
People don't even bother applying to University of Michigan unless they have a minimum of a 3.5... they know they're just wasting thier time.
Even MSU, which has gained a reputation as a party school, makes life hell if you try to enroll with anything less than a 3.0.

Are the admissions requirements actually that lax in Ohio?

If he's truly serious about going to college, I think a couple years in a CC (while paying attention to what will transfer to a 4 year) would be beneficial... college isn't for everyone, despite what people think.

He might even want to consider a trade school...
provided there are jobs in skilled trades in your area.

[quote name='JSweeney']

Are the admissions requirements actually that lax in Ohio?

[/quote]

For public schools? Yep. If you have a pulse you can pass these things.

If he's looking at community colleges, in the cleveland area there's Cuyahoga Community College (aka Tri-C) and Baldwin Wallace.

I'm pretty sure I'll get into Case... they say they give scholarships to people with SAT scores 1320+, I have a 1360. I already finished applying there, early action and their pre-professional scholars program, which I have no fucking chance in hell of getting into since they only accept 12 people into their law program.

On the note JSweeney alluded to, can you think of any CCs in Ohio, Reality's Fringe? It's not that I don't believe you (Kent State has an acceptance rate of 89%!!!) but I still want him to be safe. Also, if you can think of any other public ones, it'd be much appreciated.

JSweeney, I don't think CC is for him, because he's really been trying this year and is getting good grades, and he had a ton of family problems to deal with throughout high school. His family's house got foreclosed, his mother and her boyfriend beat him up several times, and he has to live in a house filled with black mold for the rest of the month (been living there for over two years to begin with)... then he's 18 and will live with me. Did I mention his mom had five kids with four different guys and was never married?

EDIT: Thanks bhfgamer. I'll have him apply to those too. My dad's job is in Cleveland, so maybe I'll see you around when the whole family moves there.

EDITx2: bhfgamer, collegeboard.com says Baldwin Wallace is a private METHODIST college. You tryin' to trick me, foo? :wink: It's got an 82% acceptance rate, so maybe it's still worth looking into.

CC's aren't my thing, but Miami would be another adequate 4 year school for him to look into. However Cleaveland State, OSU, CIncinatti University, Kent; He'll most assuredly get into one of those. His SAT scores are high enough. Also, OSU has various satellites that would take him in the EXTREMELY unlikely event that his grades deter hsi admission, and he coulld transfer to the main campus after about 1 year or so. Oh, and unless he's left on the political scale, rethink OU.

JSweeney, I don't think CC is for him, because he's really been trying this year and is getting good grades, and he had a ton of family problems to deal with throughout high school. His family's house got foreclosed, his mother and her boyfriend beat him up several times, and he has to live in a house filled with black mold for the rest of the month (been living there for over two years to begin with)... then he's 18 and will live with me. Did I mention his mom had five kids with four different guys and was never married?

If he's serious, then he'll be able to handle just about any four year school, provided he isn't interested in one of the more academically rigorous disciplines (Engineering, Computer Science, etc.)

Of course, I he's really serious and wants to apply himself, he may even be able to handle them as well. I've seen some rather smart people who just didn't care in High School decide to turn things around and set themselves right. If that's his case, no one will be able to stop him, though he may not be able to get into some of the more prestigious school. At the point he's at, I doubt he really would care for the pretense anyway.

He's somewhat interested in medicine. He's excellent at science and math so I think this will suit him well.

I'm left on the political scale, but he doesn't care for politics. So I'll just have him apply to OU as a last resort. I'm just worried that even with all these schools he still might not get in. Thanks for the other schools, I'll look into those too.

[quote name='spyhunterk19']Ohio...why did you vote for bush...

anywhoo

Im a few years off from college...got a 1310 on my SAT in 7th grade though, so im on the right track.[/quote]

Ooh, me too. Well, I got a 1310 in 7th grade too. Wound up getting a 1550 on my first real try. Hope it works out as well for you as it did for me.

Hmm... I wouldn't go to Kent State if I was you. I hear the National Guard can get pretty rough with the students. :roll:

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='spyhunterk19']Ohio...why did you vote for bush...

anywhoo

Im a few years off from college...got a 1310 on my SAT in 7th grade though, so im on the right track.[/quote]

Ooh, me too. Well, I got a 1310 in 7th grade too. Wound up getting a 1550 on my first real try. Hope it works out as well for you as it did for me.[/quote]

Thanx :)

hey, ive been going to OSU for 4 years now, already applied for grad school here, and what a lot of people here do is go to Columbus State which is actually pretty close for their GEC types of classes (math, science, whatever), because they are much eaiser at columbus state since it is a community college but its pretty decent. and its easy for people to take classes at both columbus state and ohio state at the same time, so he could take classes at both. OSU and columbus state have the same schedule and everything, and transferring is fairly easy since tons of people take classes from both so they have the whole process down. so yeah, i would definatly suggest taking classes at columbus state and then transition to OSU once the harder, non major classes are done.

Reality's Fringe said:
CC's aren't my thing, but Miami would be another adequate 4 year school for him to look into. However Cleaveland State, OSU, CIncinatti University, Kent; He'll most assuredly get into one of those. His SAT scores are high enough. Also, OSU has various satellites that would take him in the EXTREMELY unlikely event that his grades deter hsi admission, and he coulld transfer to the main campus after about 1 year or so. Oh, and unless he's left on the political scale, rethink OU.

most college's lean to the left though

I went to Cleveland State for a few years. Its not far from Case so It might be a good fit for your boyfriend (provided you go to Case).

One more thing. I didnt finish at Cleveland State. I transfered to a college in Chicago afterwards when I sort of found my way in life (Meaning: I stopped Partying and got serious with my studies).

I mean, real left. As in doesn't mind seeing people who aren't left getting pushed around and yelled at, having Michael Moore and Jesse JAckson show up to speak, and professors who grade harshley on their conservative students. It's one of the reasons I'm leaving here.

[quote name='A7las']Hmm... I wouldn't go to Kent State if I was you. I hear the National Guard can get pretty rough with the students. :roll:[/quote]

I dont know if people on this thread know about the Kent State shootings to get the joke. I knew what you were refering to though.

[quote name='Xevious'][quote name='A7las']Hmm... I wouldn't go to Kent State if I was you. I hear the National Guard can get pretty rough with the students. :roll:[/quote]

I dont know if people on this thread know about the Kent State shootings to get the joke. I knew what you were refering to though.[/quote]

I'm glad somebody got it. :wink:

[quote name='A7las'][quote name='Xevious'][quote name='A7las']Hmm... I wouldn't go to Kent State if I was you. I hear the National Guard can get pretty rough with the students. :roll:[/quote]

I dont know if people on this thread know about the Kent State shootings to get the joke. I knew what you were refering to though.[/quote]

I'm glad somebody got it. :wink:[/quote]

I got it, but u gotta realize the mean age of a CAGer is prob 16-18 especially if u take out outliers

[quote name='Xevious']I went to Cleveland State for a few years. Its not far from Case so It might be a good fit for your boyfriend (provided you go to Case).[/quote]

Yeah, I visited Case over the summer and CSU is right there, so that's why I'm having him apply there.

Also, I got the Kent State joke.

i live in ohio and unless your gay or a music major dont go to oberlin. Alot of people will laugh at you if you say you graduated from there. I would look at cleveland state.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']oh yeah, no we didnt we voted for the right guy. BUSH AND CHENEY 04
Guillani and JEB BUSH 08[/quote]

thats the dumbest thing I heard in a while, do u a president Rudi and a vice Pres Jeb... come on not like we dont hear it enough we have a bush and a dick in office

[quote name='Chris Dillon']i live in ohio and unless your gay or a music major dont go to oberlin. Alot of people will laugh at you if you say you graduated from there.[/quote]

That's actually the impression I got from my visit there. :lol:

Jefferson Community College, in my hometown of Steubenville would probably take him. Has he taken SAT or ACT yet? Those scores can help, especially with a GPA at just over 2. I would highly recommend taking them repeatedly to get the best result.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']oh yeah, no we didnt we voted for the right guy. BUSH AND CHENEY 04
Guillani and JEB BUSH 08[/quote]

You know, based on your posts in this thread, you'd be doing your "side" more of a service by keeping quiet. Right now you're looking like the backwoods bumpkin that everyone is trying to brand the "new Republicans" as.

[quote name='crazytalkx']You guys ruined the election!!!!!! :evil:[/quote]

A lot of states ruined the election. Its time to get over it.

Make way for George Bush, the anti-gay Hitler!

bread's done
Back