Anyone getting Madden 06 for the DS?

jlkeeton

CAGiversary!
Just curious how the game may have changed this year on the DS... I know I'm being impatient for the review to come in. I have yet to see a single screen from the DS version and am worried it will end up being like 05.

Will 05 be worth a pre-played purchase once 06 comes out and the price bottoms out? I wouldn't mind having some portable football, but the GBA maddens are terrible I think.

daroga

[quote name='Snake2715']I think Nintendo.com ahs the screenshots posted.[/QUOTE]

It's funny Nintendo would have those and EA's own web site doesn't! Thanks for letting me know... it does look a bit better than 05 for sure (but does it play better is going to be what I'll have to evaluate - waiting on reviews and friends for their initial reactions).

BTW, 05 will probably be fodder for 9.99$ or less pretty soon... it's a decent game but if 06 is really a leap over it in gameplay, then it might be worth the extra $$$ if you're looking for a great football game.

[quote name='jlkeeton']

BTW, 05 will probably be fodder for 9.99$ or less pretty soon... it's a decent game but if 06 is really a leap over it in gameplay, then it might be worth the extra $$$ if you're looking for a great football game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I have 05 and it sucks ass. Anyone know if any stores have this in stock today?

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Agreed, I have 05 and it sucks ass.[/QUOTE]

Very true, not only was the gameplay waaaay to fast, but the replay value was lacking since it didn't have a franchise mode.

I just picked it up from BB...It looks way better than those shots from the Nintendo website...I'm at work, but will post impressions later on today...The graphics look really slick actually, people are a lot less blocky looking, and they have 5 mini-games, I'm psyched!

[quote name='dserafin1986']I just picked it up from BB...It looks way better than those shots from the Nintendo website...I'm at work, but will post impressions later on today...The graphics look really slick actually, people are a lot less blocky looking, and they have 5 mini-games, I'm psyched![/QUOTE]

Please do post impressions as I want this game but not if it's crap, I learned my lesson from 05. Hopefully ign will post a review today.

I played it last night for a couple of hours…Got 3 games in, and tried out all of the mini-games…From the onset is clearly apparent that EA took their time with this one, and developed it specifically for the DS, while I enjoyed last years, it felt like a straight port of the N64 Madden…This feels like a different game entirely…I can’t say that it really reminds me of the N64 Maddens, which is a good thing…Running is a little harder this year, the game as a whole isn’t as fast as last year, but it still moves at a nice clip…Everyone has their own stadiums this year, if you noticed last year, they didn’t included domes for teams that had them, which was really annoying…So the top screen shows the action and the bottom screen has a lot going on this year…On the bottom screen there are 4 selectable icons on the left and 3 on the right for offense, 4 on the right for defense…The 4 selectable icons on the left allow you to cycle through the birds-eye view of the field with the x’s and o’s and the routes shown(cool addition that was not in last year’s game), you can also cycle through stats on these left icons, like individual stats for the game leaders, brief bios on the qb’s…It’s really in depth, there is a lot to do, which is kind of overwhelming at first, but will prove to add depth to the game…On the right side you can set your hot routes, audible(and actually see the play you are going to audible to, which I think is a great feature that has never been in a video football game, including the dreamcast games using the VMU)…You can also select a timeout from the touch screen…You can cycle through your plays with the touch screen or the dpad, magnifying plays if you want to get a better look…The AI is good, not impossible, I got shutout by the chiefs on rookie playing as the Texans…It is a fun game in all facets, with running you can use the spin move like you would on the ps2 and xbox versions, juke, stiff arm…The animations are pretty good, the passing game is nice too…I’m still getting used to the game…This is a must-buy for any football fan with a DS…I skipped the console versions for this and will get a lot of play out of this…It’s a deep game with the season modes and franchise modes, create a team and create a player…I didn’t even check them out yet…Ummm, the kicking game is totally different this year, it’s tight, kind of like golden tee golf, it makes kicking very exciting…

I give it a 9/10, it’s everything I would want out of Madden on the go, but leaves a little room for improvement for 07’…If you have any individual questions, fire away, I’ll answer what I can

No cones...Just Classic Madden passing game...However the mini-game that involves passing has you using the touch screen to place the throw, it's wierd and I'm glad they didn't make the touch pad functional for throwing in the game...Anything else that you were wondering about?

[quote name='dserafin1986']No cones...Just Classic Madden passing game...However the mini-game that involves passing has you using the touch screen to place the throw, it's wierd and I'm glad they didn't make the touch pad functional for throwing in the game...Anything else that you were wondering about?[/QUOTE]

maybe they did that to get the feedback on it..

maybe some game in the future will use the touchscreen.

They probably did, I just heard that you can change the settings so that the touch screen functions as an analog stick like Mario 64, I'll have to try that later and post my impressions

The IGN review seems to be comparing it to the console versions a little too stiffly. The game actually is fun... if I wanted a console version, I'd be playing it on one of my home consoles. I nabbed it from Target for 26.99$ (10% off). The reviewer must have very FAT fingers if the touchscreen isn't working for play selection. Everyone around except them seems to enjoy the game quite a bit. It is VASTLY improved over 05 - not just a graphics upgrade but the mechanics and modes are now more to what we'd expect.

I haven't played any portable Maddens in a long time, but I think a cool feature that they should implement on the DS would be a create-a-play where you draw out routes and even blocking assignments using the touchscreen. It could be cool to draw out the exact distance for a receiver to head out and what type of cut he should make. You could also draw up intricate short yardage plays too.

bread's done
Back