Anyone had any bad experiences with ThinkGeek?

labelmeoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Purchased two Skyrim Dragonborn statues through ThinkGeek about a week ago with their recent "Buy One, Get One 50% Off" promo code. It ended up costing me $299.99 + $149.99.

One shipped and arrived within a few days. Opened it up, inspected it, everything looked great! Right after that, I receive an e-mail stating only one was in stock, and I would be issued a refund for the discounted statue ($149.99). Since I was basically baited into buying one at full price, I decided I'd try and return it. I was offered the option to, but I would be responsible for shipping AND a restocking fee (since I opened it).

In all honesty, I was going to try and sell the $149.99 statue on eBay and try to make some back on the original price so I could justify the purchase... but now it looks like I'm either keeping it at full price or sending it back and paying around $30-40 in shipping/restocking fees.

I've contacted them via chat, e-mail and phone on multiple occasions... and they will NOT budge. Apparently, it's "up to the warehouses" to determine IF there is a restocking fee and how much I'll be charged (which I'll never know the actual amount they agree on - I'll just have to do the math based on the refund I receive).

Ok, rant over.

I hate ThinKGeek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Purchased two Skyrim Dragonborn statues through ThinkGeek about a week ago with their recent "Buy One, Get One 50% Off" promo code. It ended up costing me $299.99 + $149.99.

One shipped and arrived within a few days. Opened it up, inspected it, everything looked great! Right after that, I receive an e-mail stating only one was in stock, and I would be issued a refund for the discounted statue ($149.99). Since I was basically baited into buying one at full price, I decided I'd try and return it. I was offered the option to, but I would be responsible for shipping AND a restocking fee (since I opened it).

In all honesty, I was going to try and sell the $149.99 statue on eBay and try to make some back on the original price so I could justify the purchase... but now it looks like I'm either keeping it at full price or sending it back and paying around $30-40 in shipping/restocking fees.

I've contacted them via chat, e-mail and phone on multiple occasions... and they will NOT budge. Apparently, it's "up to the warehouses" to determine IF there is a restocking fee and how much I'll be charged (which I'll never know the actual amount they agree on - I'll just have to do the math based on the refund I receive).

Ok, rant over.

I hate ThinKGeek.
Have you tried asking for a partial refund? But one get one half off is 25% off do each item if they are the same price.

My brother had only one bad experience with Think Geek and it was the product not the store directly. He ordered the Limited edition Portal gun and it came terribly painted and scratched. Think Geek handled the return fee but, could not send a replacement since there were only 500 made and sold out in minutes.  

If you were able to put the order through for a quantity of 2, it should definitely be their responsibility to inform you BEFORE shipping that only one is available.  Don't bother trying to return the one you have, but rather focus on the price you're not getting for their screwup. 

Tell them the one they realized they didn't have is the $300 one, and you'd like a refund for that one.  Then, when that doesn't work, be realistic and accept the 25% off price. (do NOT accept something like a 1/2 off coupon for the future, or you'll easily get screwed)

I've had some issues with their CS but never really a bad experience.

I would have thought something was up when I received the first statue but hadn't yet received any information about the second one shipping.

Regardless I have a GH Dragonborn exclusive statue---really wouldn't be that difficult to make it look like it hadn't been opened unless you assembled it or threw out the box. 

But I would ask for 25% off the order and call it good. You wouldn't have made much money selling it on eBay---the only ones worth reselling are the exclusive version and they are OOS. The others go for $300 or less and after fees and shipping you might have made $75

I ordered a pair of earrings for my fiancé as a Christmas gift last year along with a couple other items and they shipped all of them in the same box. She I got the package I found the other items but no earrings. Called their CS and the rep apologized and said she'd have a replacement sent right away and to expect a confirmation email within a day. A week went by and nothing so I contacted CS again...apparently the rep forgot to have the replacement earrings sent out. The second rep I talked to did get it taken care of and I got the earrings a few days later but it was a bad experience for sure.

In your case, I would ask for 25% off and cut your losses....dealing with their CS is a headache.

I've attempted to call, chat and e-mail with them AGAIN about the 25% off. Nothing. No coupon, no partial refund, no pre-paid label with assurance I wouldn't have to pay the restocking fee.... NOTHING. I'm almost at the point I'm just going to say the original statue showed up damaged so I can return it for free.

ThinkGeek is a complete joke.

Fire off a dispute with your credit card company and see what happens.  If nothing else, it'll get ThinkGeek involved as they have to respond to a CC dispute.

bread's done
Back