Anyone have helicopter flight training?

Diiz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
*Diiz's random "I'm bored and don't feel well" topic 1 of 2*

I recently started composing my "100 things to do before I die" list, and one of the things I have wanted to do for years now is complete helicopter flight training and get my certification. There are two reasons for this: 1. If I ever strike it rich after I complete law school, I would love to be able to fly myself around the country and 2. If I continue on and get my commercial license, it would be a fun way to spend the earlier years of my retirement while still supplementing my income.

I guess I was just curious as to whether anyone here was certified, where they went, and the approximate cost. Someone mentioned a flight school in Texas and estimated a cost of about $12,000 for the private license with an extra $5,000 or so to continue on to commercial training. Experiences, advice, or general chat is more than welcome!

Helicopter training is not cheap, or easy. I'm a fixed-wing pilot myself, but I've never flown a chopper. But hey, if you've got the money, time, and drive, go for it.

I will have to second the air force comment. You can get your commercial license for a hefty fee outside of the military, but all the military pilots will be hired before you because they have infinitely more flight hours than you'll ever have because that is their job. Fixed wing pilots are almost the same, except there is a lot more demand for them so you don't have to have military experience.

I strongly suggest getting a private pilots license first for fixed wing, you can attain one below $5,000 ($43/hour wet rate w/ instruction out here) and it will save you a lot of time learning the basics of piloting (instruments being the biggy).

[quote name='Hex']Go into the airforce. :3[/QUOTE]

Although they waiver more now than they did 10 years ago, it's tough as shit to get into undergrad flight school. You have to be an officer of course, pass a flight physical, etc.

To fly one in the Army, you can be enlisted and become a Warrant Officer to fly.

It would be cheaper to get a private pilot's license, believe it or not. Hell, you can get lessons and certified to fly ultra-lights for under $1,500 in many places.

[quote name='Skylander7']...get lessons and certified to fly ultra-lights for under $1,500 in many places.[/quote]

Who wants to fly an ultra-light :p

222px-Barney_Gumble.png

[quote name='Magehart']Who wants to fly an ultra-light :p[/QUOTE]

Someone that trusts their life to an lawnmower engine at 500ft in the sky.

I guess I should have prefaced this by saying that I really know absolutely nothing about the various helicopter classes. This is still a dream that is at least 2-3 years away, minimum. Additionally, the air force is not an option at this point since I am trying as hard as I can to bust my ass through school while working full time so that I can hopefully head to law school in about 18 months. This would be more of a hobby for me than a potential career, the whole thing about making some side money with it after retirement takes a back seat to just being able to have a hobby of it.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']How well does an ultra-light glide without power? Even a Cessna 172 will glide a good ways.[/QUOTE]

Decently, but you could also wear a chute just in case. It's basically a hang glider with a small motor.

Shit I flew a helicopter in MS Flight Simulator X:CE and it was fuck hard. Flying the real thing must be 10 times harder.

Yeah... it's just something I've wanted to do for a long time and I rather do it sooner than later... still several years off though.

Diiz;2597532 1. If I ever strike it rich after I complete law school said:
Well, if you're looking to use it to fly to different places in the country, I'd imagine an airplane would be a better choice anyway since it will go a lot faster and it's probably more comfortable. If you mean country as in places with scenery and no houses, never mind what I just said.

[quote name='Diiz']* 1. If I ever strike it rich after I complete law school, I would love to be able to fly myself around the country [/quote]

Well, if you're looking to use it to fly to different places in the country, I'd imagine an airplane would be a better choice anyway since it will go a lot faster and it's probably more comfortable. If you mean country as in places with scenery and no houses, never mind what I just said.

bread's done
Back